News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 15:17 to Paris: Reviews and Features in the Media  (Read 2666 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 12:35:33 AM »

Nice to read some more positive opinions.. Any early box office hey ?

Despite some poor reviews I reckon this film could still do well...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:37:38 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 08:17:35 AM »

Nice to read some more positive opinions.. Any early box office hey ?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=1517toparis.htm

Domestic Total as of Feb. 11, 2018: $12,554,286

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4368&p=.htm

Clint Eastwood's The 15:17 to Paris pulled into third place with an estimated $12.6 million, finishing within tracking, but short of Mojo's forecast. The film wasn't necessarily well received by opening day audiences either, receiving just a "B-" CinemaScore. Opening weekend demos saw the audience nearly split along gender lines, leaning slightly female at 51%, and overall 86% of the total audience was 25 years of age or older.

Internationally, 15:17 to Paris debuted in 23 overseas markets with an estimated $5.3 million. Italy was the highest grossing foreign market, delivering an estimated $1.5 million followed by snow-covered France with $1.4 million.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 02:36:56 PM »

The movie will have to gross at least 60 mill at the Box Office to break even. Can't see it though not impossible.
Clint Eastwood #1 Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 09:10:49 PM »

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 11:25:02 PM »

That was a great review and exactly why I enjoyed the film. :)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 12:53:59 AM »

In similar vein and making my appreciation of this film very clear.....

http://www.korsgaardscommentary.com/2018/02/1517-paris-movie-review.html

;)
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 04:40:41 PM »

This in depth analysis of The 15 17 to Paris by Film Inquiry, offers a very  different take on a complex, challenging  and ambiguous film.

http://www.filminquiry.com/1517-to-paris-2018-review/
Aline

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 03:42:58 PM »

You know I don't like much movies Clint only directs so I didn't watch this one when it came out but after reading some reviews I am getting really curious to watch it. I liked this one a lot and translated some parts.

Clint Eastwood uses to built his movies around a strong character. It can be a cowboy retired or a cop, the movie can be minor or not: the construction always starts there and it is from there that the plot is developed.

This is what makes The 15:17 to Paris at the same time strange and fascinating to those that follow his career. How to tell the story in which the three of the main characteres are perfect losers?

(...) I thought desnecessary repeat the plot

Clint takes us on a turistical trip more than typical: inside a museum the guys aren't able to relate absolutely anything. In Germany they believe Hitler commited suicide to avoid confrontation with american troops. In Venice they don't capture anything but the selfies that one of them take repeatedly.

In resume, they become adults so sympathetically as silly as they were in college. And become adults incapable of hold a Clint Eastwoos movie_that works with creatures deeply uninteresting. And that is what makes the movie fascinating: it's the challenge of build it around guys so satisfied with their own mediocrity. Clint, here, needs to left the idea of the strong character to tell his story. This can be difficult. We have the feeling at any moment the movie will sink in the middle of nowhere.

But suddenly something will change and the opportunity of them to become heroes will come. Why? We don't have a clue. It's like Clint telling us life is pure mistery. Did they deserve to be called to something special? "Deserve's got nothing to do with it", said sometime the protagonist of Unforgiven.

This course_life as pure fate, full of ironies, of things that we can't control_was always suggested during Clint work but never developed so explicitly.

This is what makes of this movie a paradoxical happening: it announces a relevant transformation in the work of this great director that now dives in the dark side of America to find the poetry of the losers.

The train trip will provide to those guys in real life a heroism act. A heroism saluted by a mediocre French president and later for the hillbillies from their hometown. The 15:17 to Paris is an awkward movie. A minor movie of Clint Eastwood but not an insignificant one.

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/ilustrada/2018/03/heroismo-de-bocais-rende-filme-menor-de-clint-eastwood-mas-nao-insignificante.shtml

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:45:40 PM by Aline » Logged

I used to have the five stars
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 08:50:56 PM »

^ I like that review, Aline, thanks for posting it. My reaction was somewhat along those lines.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T