News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your top 5 singers  (Read 174 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 28, 2018, 02:00:43 AM »

It'd be cool to hear all your thoughts on this..

Which five singers have had the most impact on you during your lives...
It'd be great to see who you'd all choose and why..

I'll kick off with

Nina Simone
John Lennon
James Brown
Aretha Franklin
David Bowie

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

The shadows betray you, because they belong to me!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 06:20:59 AM »

I have a list of top 5 singers, but I wouldnít describe them as having a major impact on my life as much as leaving a major and lasting impression.  While there are many great vocalists and bands out there I admire, regardless of their writing ability, none have affected my life in a major way with respect to my personality and outlook on life.  The basis of those were formed by the time I was 8 years old.  Iím not sure where Iíve learned it or from whom, but variety truly is the spice of life.  I reckon part of the answer to that lies in learning it over the course of time.   

With that being said, I can more closely answer the question by genre. 

Rock & Roll
Country
Rhythm & Blues
Classical
Jazz (light only)

For decades, since the summer of 1977, I have been drawn to rock music.  Whenever the opportunity presents itself, rock & roll is what I listen to while driving, doing manual labor, exercising and/or just for the pleasure.  I do enjoy the other four genres I listed very much and thatís the joy of variety.   

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:51:16 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

You think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, molded by it.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »

The way this topic is worded, "which five singers have had the most impact on you during your life", I think this means more than just a great voice, but encompasses so much more -- their influence on who we are. I think singers that are songwriters are today's poets, and that their words are more influential than maybe any other art form, at least they have been to me.  So these singers are people who have written their songs, and that those songs had purpose other than just sounding great. And that they have influenced my life. So the first two are easy:

1.  John Lennon
2.  George Harrison

One of the best lyricists, and a favorite singer of mine is Kurt Cobain. Gotta put him in at the next spot:
3.   Kurt Cobain

Gant's right about Bowie. His voice is amazing. He's also a great songwriter. He comes in next:
4.  David Bowie

Then it gets muddier... There's so many. Jim Morrison is one of my favorites, and a great lyricist. And Bono writes some great words. One of my favorite lines of all time is:  "If you want to kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel. On your knees boy."  I'm not even religious, but I find that lyric just so poetic and beautiful.

I may be biased right now toward Tom Petty because I watched the George Harrison All Things Must Pass documentary on Netflix, and seeing the Traveling Wilbury's, and hearing Tom Petty's (a Wilbury's band member) stories of George Harrison made me want to hear more from him, and I am really enjoying his music again. These were songs that I've loved since High School, but he got pushed aside for a long time to make way for some others. Petty above Bob Dylan? Hmmm... I don't know man, I've been listening to his entire discography for the past couple of weeks, and I'm diggin' it.  So # 5 to

5.  Tom Petty

Thanks for the interesting topic, Gant! :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 02:21:48 PM »

And then there's The Boss.  Can we do more than five?  :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:50:28 PM »

And then there's The Boss.  Can we do more than five?  :)

:police:   :knuppel2:

(Always looking for a chance to use those.)

Of course you can ... No one's playing Thread Police here! ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:27:49 PM »

Now that you've mentioned the Police, there's another worthy singer/songwriter:  Sting.

John Mellencamp is another of my favorite singer/songwriters. He doesn't have a particularly great voice, but I absolutely love his lyrics. The Scarecrow album is one of the best written rock/folk albums of all time.  "Jackie Brown" is maybe my favorite of his songs:

Is this your life, Jackie Brown?
Poorly educated and forced to live
On the poor side of town.

Is this your daughter, Jackie Brown?
This pretty little girl in the worn out clothes
That have been hand-me down.

Is this your wife, Jackie Brown?
With sad blue eyes, walking on eggshells
So you don't see her frown.

Is this your family, Jackie Brown?

Dream of vacationing on a mountain stream
And giving the world more than it gave you.
What ugly truths freedom brings
And it hasn't been very kind to you.

Is this your life, Jackie Brown?

Is this your meal, Jackie Brown?
Barely enough, I've seen people throw
More than this out.

Is this your home, Jackie Brown?
This three room shack with no running water
And the bathroom out back.

Is this your grave, Jackie Brown?
This little piece of limestone that says another desperate man
Took himself out.

Is this your dream, Jackie Brown?

Going nowhere and nowhere fast
We shame ourselves to watch people like this live.
But who gives a damn about Jackie Brown?
Just another lazy man who couldn't take what was his.

One helluva life Jackie Brown.
Forevermore, Jackie Brown
Amen and amen - Jackie Brown
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:18:09 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 10:08:52 PM »

I have a list of top 5 singers, but I wouldnít describe them as having a major impact on my life as much as leaving a major and lasting impression.  While there are many great vocalists and bands out there I admire, regardless of their writing ability, none have affected my life in a major way with respect to my personality and outlook on life.  The basis of those were formed by the time I was 8 years old.

I wonder why you took down the list of singers that you had up. But, as for your personality being formed by the time you were 8 years old, I think we're always changing. We're always being influenced, evolving and progressing throughout life. We probably aren't the same people we were a year ago, and we're even more different from who were ten years ago. Our experiences make us who we are, and music and other art forms are influential experiences.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 01:57:25 AM »

You can have as many as you want Matt  ;)

Maybe I didn't word it very well, tho my favorite artists have all impacted on my life in a hugely positive way..

Pretty much my earliest memories from childhood are of listening to Beatles records.. There weren't a lot of pop records in our house back then (mainly jazz and classical) except for a couple of their albums.. As far back as I can remember they were played constantly..I loved them, listened to them all the time , danced to them and sang along to them.. They definitely set me on course to a life long love of music..I really love Lennon and McCartney's voices together but if I had to pick one then it has to be John Lennon's.. to this day.. There's a power and urgency and above all honesty in his vocals that instantly hits home with me.. not a bad songwriter either..

With Bowie I can trace it right back to the very moment.. His appearance on English pop show Top of the Pops in 1972 performing Starman.. BANG !!!  I (and the world) had never seen anything like it.. The impact was amazing.. (my Dad nearly collapsed in fits of laughter, always a good sign when your parents don't get it) I was hooked on Bowie from that moment on.. the music, the clothes, the styles..  I followed his career closely all the way through to the end.. Sure, there were highs and lows.. but oh so many highs.. Amazing artist all round..

Somewhere around the mid 80's I heard a record late night in a club in London.. It was Nina Simone's "My Baby Just Cares For Me" Something about her voice hooked me in.. I hunted down her records and through her I discovered Jazz.. Although not strictly a Jazz artist she opened the door for me.. I've been addicted ever since.. to Jazz and Ms Nina.. I love her voice, her playing.. She was right up there writing and performing songs during the civil rights movement (which in many ways hurt her career)in the 60's.. She can sound angry, she can sound sad, wistful.. anything..
Nina Simone is one of the few artists who can cover someone else's songs and if not equal them, then improve upon them.. a rare feat.. rarely a week goes by when I'm not listening to her..

Aretha Franklin... The first lady of Soul.. I get shivers when I hear her sing.. There are many great soul singers but something about Aretha gets me every time.. its just such a pure voice..

And Mr James Brown.. My first LP of Mr Browns was his Live at the Apollo LP from 1962.. Never has so much power and energy been captured on 12 inches of vinyl... James Brown literally was Mr Dynamite.. and such a creative and originator.. Rhythms he introduced in the 1960's are still an influence on and heard today in current music.. To me he is probably the most influential artist in pops history..

and there you have it

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T