News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 films to recommend Clint to new viewers  (Read 1221 times)
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »

Eastwood was never a mediocre actor. That was made up nonsense by Pauline Kael who was basically an overrated 'Film Critic'. I think Eastwood from his early years got loop holed as the next 'Gary Cooper,' and all these other Cowboy actors which was equally lame. Basically the Leone movies made him a target since there wasn't much emotion required. As Eastwood got older he did get better. Certainly 'Tightrope, Bridges, and even White Hunter proved that as small examples. To me Eastwood was always the same guy and lasted longer than any one in the history of Hollywood. Now these clowns cant say anything. If anyone is mediocre as an actor it's Chuck Norris.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2018, 04:09:32 PM »

Actually now that I think about it Costner and Harrison Ford are quite overrated and mediocre as actors. For awhile there they were lauded and fawned over by the very same critics who ostracized Eastwood. Where are they today?...... bye bye.....Eastwood @ 88 still relevant.....
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018, 06:35:09 PM »

Perry, those are some great choices. I particularly like "Tightrope," since it's an example of Eastwood superficially playing a character which is a variation of the cop archetype which he had portrayed a lot at that point in his career,  while at the same time giving a much deeper, more complex, multi-layered performance that allows him to evolve both the character and his performance.

Wes Block is a case study that allows the viewer to probe the darkness that is often inherent in the job of homicide detective, and the way in which that kind of job can weigh on you so much that you need an outlet to escape from it. A hallmark of Eastwood's work is the frailty of the human condition, and the tendency of man to often choose self-destructive outlets, which is exactly what Wes Block does. That self-destructive outlet can serve as a respite from the rigors, struggles, and emotional highs and lows of living to "serve and protect," but it comes at great cost, and I think Eastwood's performance displayed that cost in a powerful way. In that way, Wes Block can serve as both an archetypal cop character as well as a little bit of a deconstruction of that character at the same time. Wes Block is not a glamorous character who is excited by the prospect of being a cop. He gets no glee from his job. He almost seems burdened by it, and the weight of that burden and the darkness that it leads him to allows for Eastwood to deconstruct and in some ways demythologize the cop archetype that he has portrayed so many times before. This kind of building up of a mythology only to later deconstruct it is something Eastwood has done a lot in his career.

KC, thanks for contributing to this discussion. It seems like we're all using the same approach here by trying to select films that are atypical for Eastwood, that allow the viewer to see that he can and sometimes does stretch himself as an actor by playing with familiar themes in new and different ways. We also seem to be choosing films that might not have been widely seen by this hypothetical person. I think I get why you'd choose "The Beguiled" and "Bridges," but why "Play Misty for Me?" I think that's a pretty interesting choice, and not one I would have initially thought of. What is your thinking behind that? 

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2018, 09:42:59 PM »

If you didn't know anything about Clint except the three "Dollars" films and Dirty Harry, and someone told you Clint is also a director, and his directorial debut is about a laid-back California jazz disc jockey, who is in an on-again, off-again relationship with a wan blonde, but he never lets that stop him from picking up attractive women in a bar where he hangs out after work ... seriously, if I then asked you who you think he cast as the disc jockey, would you ever in a million years have answered "Himself"?

It's a very un-Eastwood like role, and he's excellent in it.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2018, 01:41:11 AM »

If you were going to recommend and show 3 films of Clint's (as actor) to a new viewer who hadn't seen any of his work before,  which three would you choose.. ?

Responding to this question in the most literal way possible, I'd just show the person the first three Dirty Harry films. If they aren't a fan of his by the time the title credits are done in Dirty Harry, then there might not be hope for them.

If the objective is to show someone his range or variety of performances or roles from different eras, then I'd have to rethink my answer. For instance if someone said they weren't familiar with him and as far as they knew he just stared in a bunch of westerns and cop movies, I'd probably want to show them Play Misty for Me, Bronco Billy, and White Hunter, Black Heart. Or maybe The Bridges of Madison County if I didn't think the subject would turn them off, since I've always considered that his absolute best acting performance.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »

Thanks for contributing your thoughts to this discussion, Doug. I like your choices! I too think Eastwood's performance is underrated in "The Bridges of Madison County," which is why that was one of the three that I chose myself. I think some people felt that he wasn't a good fit for the role because it was too far outside the norms of the tpes of characters that he's known for, so it seems like Clint sometimes can't win. He does something outside of the box that stretches his acting muscles, but because people aren't used to seeing him that way, they don't appreciate the achievement in the performance.

I set up the question this way on purpose, since if someone said that they didn't think Eastwood was a good director, then there isn't much hope that they'd be open minded enough to consider him a good actor. But someone who recognizes that he is in fact a good director may be persuaded to consider a different perspective on him as an actor if shown the way.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2018, 07:18:58 PM »

AKA23, Well, the thing with Tightrope was @ the time I saw it I was rapidly losing interest in most of Eastwood's movies that followed ( Though Alcatraz was a good flick) after TOJWales. Tightrope was a great departure, but mostly I was thrilled not to see Sondra Locke in the movie. I detested Sudden Impact ( for the Locke reason) and thought the Dirty Harry character had become ridiculous and embarrassingly like a comic book. Regardless, Eastwood's Wes Block was a departure as a flawed and damaged person. I thought Eastwood finally was doing a role that would be taken serious. Even after all these years his performance is still one of my faves. It's a dark movie,but I always felt Eastwood didn't do enough of those type roles @ the time and Bujold was always an interesting actress. I once read Susan Saradon turned down Bujold's role.... Anyhow, Rebecca Perle cancels out Locke any day...........
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2018, 04:28:03 AM »

Well... it happened..
I got chatting to a girl in Spain recently whilst touring, she was a big film fan, I'd guess her age maybe late 20's.
She was aware of who Clint Eastwood was but couldnt actually remember ever having seen any of his films
so I recommended Tightrope.. She messaged me a couple of days ago saying she loved it, not what she'd expected at all..thought Bujold was fantastic as well as Clint, thought the film interesting and atmospheric, dealing with dark themes and said she'd be looking further into his career as actor and director..

My work is done.. a new fan launched..

Perry, totally agree with you about Harrison Ford.. Totally mediocre as an actor and in his choice of films..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:29:19 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »

Nice job, Gant! O0
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

The shadows betray you, because they belong to me!

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2018, 04:47:20 AM »

I would go with A Fistful Of Dollars and Dirty Harry for the first two.  I agree with Matt that it would be better to introduce the Leone westerns with the first one.  If it went over well, the interest would be there to follow up with the sequels.

The same goes for Dirty Harry but Id suggest only watching the first two sequels before moving on.

For the third film, Id suggest Any Which Way You Can because its more entertaining out of the two monkey comedies.  These films do not have to be watched in order. 

To recap:

1. A Fistful Of Dollars
2. Dirty Harry
3. Any Which Way You Can

I may even suggest viewing Dirty Harry first, followed by the western and then the comedy. 

If these went over well, Id then suggest the police and western sequels and comedy prequel.  I think this would be a great place to start.  🙂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, molded by it.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2018, 06:02:07 AM »

Jed, cool films but I'm a little surprised you prefer the sequel out of the "which Way" films..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T