News: Now in post-production: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 films to recommend Clint to new viewers  (Read 2800 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »

I do agree and personally love Alcatraz but Thunderbolt it's such a great film and Tightrope was kinda Bujold's film also..
I'm easing her in with films I think we'll catch her attention, tho I coiuld be wrong of course...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »

I dont think you are wrong. Thats a great choice and probably is more broadly appealing to the average viewer. Let us know how it goes, Gant!  O0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2018, 08:57:05 PM »

You could always play it safe and go with Dirty Harry. That way, she'd get to see where the Tightrope guy was coming from.  :)

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2018, 10:58:38 PM »

True, and it's such a powerful and iconic movie... with a great baddie too...

Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2018, 12:07:37 PM »

To new viewers, I would recommend one Sergio Leone film, one Don Siegel film and one Clint Eastwood film because that represents the evolution of Clint Eastwood as an actor and as a director.
For instance, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Dirty Harry and The Outlaw Josey Wales or A Fistful of Dollars, The Beguiled and Play Misty for Me.
Hang'Em High is significant too because this is the first American film in which Clint Eastwood is the leading actor.
I would recommend some movies like High Plains Drifter, Bronco Billy, Honkytonk Man, Bird, Unforgiven, A Perfect World, The Bridges of Madison County, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Letters From Iwo Jima, Changeling, Gran Torino and American Sniper because new viewers have to know that Clint Eastwood directed many movies in many genres.
They have to know how talented and gifted Clint Eastwood is as an actor and as a director.

New viewers have to understand that Clint Eastwood struggled a lot before being a fashionable star and director.
In the fifties, he got many uncredited and small parts. His first big break was tv series Rawhide  between 1958 and 1965.
Sergio Leone, who was unknown then, gave him the opportunity to star in a movie for the first time of his life in 1964: A Fistful of Dollars.
For a Few Dollars More and The Good the Bad and the Ugly followed it.
Thanks to the Dollars trilogy, he became a rising star and a leading actor in Hollywood.
Then he founded in 1967 the Malpaso Company which was an important step in his career.
After Sergio Leone, another great meeting: Don Siegel. He influenced and supported him when Clint directed his first film: Play Misty for Me.
Don Siegel directed Clint in three important films at least: The Beguiled, Dirty Harry and Escape from Alcatraz.
In these three films, Clint gave some of his best performances.
In the seventies, Clint became a superstar like Hollywood has rarely seen before.
At first, he was seen as a violent action hero but he also became a director with his own vision of America in movies like Breezy, Bronco Billy and Honkytonk Man.
In those movies, men are not action heroes but peaceful dreamers and sometimes, losers too.
The evolution of Clint Eastwood as a star and as a director is perhaps the most fascinating in Hollywood history.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »

Hocine, you may have only 9 posts so far, but every one has been outstanding. I'm just curious: How long have you been a Clint Eastwood film?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2018, 03:13:48 PM »

Yes, Hocine, I completely agree with KC. You appear to be a very knowledgeable Eastwood fan and I'm excited to have you here! We'd love to learn more about how and when you became an Eastwood fan.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »

KC and AKA23, thank you so much for your posts !

First of all, I'm happy to be here talking about Clint Eastwood movies and sharing some ideas and opinions with all of you.
Clint is just one of my favourite actor since my childhood. He's one of my favourite director too.

So, how and when did I become an Eastwood fan ?

My family bought our first VHS player at the end of the 1980's.
My father bought many VHS: westerns, adventure movies, comedies.
One night, we saw a movie with an unforgettable music score and unforgettable characters.
I think I was 8 years old at the most. Maybe 7.
One of the characters was tall, handsome, smoked cigars, didn't speak too much, moved slowly but was the fastest man around when he had to draw his gun and shoot at bad guys.
He was called Blondie. The movie was The Good the Bad and the Ugly.
I didn't know the name of the actor and I didn't know that he was a superstar but I liked him right away.
Because of his face, the way he acted and reacted, his cool attitude, the way he draw his gun. I was a little boy then and I was so impressed.
At the time, Clint had just made White Hunter Black Heart and was about to make The Rookie, I think.
Thereafter, I saw For a Few Dollars More and Hang'em High on VHS too.
And I started to recognize "Blondie" on TV: I saw the Dirty Harry movies, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Every Which Way But Loose, Bronco Billy, Two Mules for Sister Sara and many other pictures.
I started to read books on Clint and realize that he was not only an actor but a director and a Producer as well.
I started to learn more about his career, his filmography.
The more I watched his movies, the more I wanted to learn about him.
The first Clint picture I saw in a theater was In the Line of Fire. I was 11.
As a teenager, I started to record and collect many Clint movies. Later, I would buy and own many books on him.
This is how I became an Eastwood fan.
I saw all his pictures from A Fistful of Dollars to The 15:17 to Paris, The Witches included. I saw some Rawhide episodes and the Maverick episode.
And some movies of the 1950's like Ambush at Cimarron Pass, Lafayette Escadrille, Tarantula, Star in the Dust, Away All Boats.

It can seem silly but I consider Clint like one of my family member.

Now, I'm waiting for The Mule. I think that the shooting will finish next month.

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »

That's a really cool story, Hocine, and I definitely identify with it. I became an Eastwood fan in 1993. I was 10 and like you, I pretty immediately loved Eastwood and then sought out to learn as much as I could about him and his movies.

What were the best books that you read on Eastwood that you felt provided the best information on his career?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2018, 06:52:51 PM »

That's great, Hocine! Thanks so much for sharing your story. 8)

I had managed to never see a Clint Eastwood movie until 1992. Unforgiven made me a fan, and like you, from then on I could never get enough of everything: Clint Eastwood movies, and as many books and articles as I could find about him and his career.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2018, 07:39:55 PM »

Sounds like we're around the same age, Hocine. My family got our first VCR player in the late 1980s as well. I'm jealous you got to see In the Line of Fire at the theater though! I was a little older before I saw an R-rated movie at the theater. I remember we rented that movie after it was out on video.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2018, 02:11:55 AM »

Right... our Young Spanish friend has so far enjoyed

Tightrope
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
Dirty Harry
and The Beguiled...

I think its safe to say shes hooked...
Next up I've directed her to Million Dollar Baby , from then on shes on her own personal journey of discovery..
I think its safe to asume Clint has a new fan..

My work is done ;)

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2018, 10:32:37 AM »

Nice, Gant! Some great movies there.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2018, 11:04:22 AM »

Did you tell her about this website? :)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2018, 01:29:51 PM »

My next move :)

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »

Actually Rebecca Perle made more of an impact than Bujold in Tightrope..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:48:25 PM by Perry » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2018, 12:42:42 PM »

As great as she is I must disagree Perry ;)

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »

Actually Rebecca Perle made more of an impact than Bujold in Tightrope..

Gant, somehow  I donít think her acting talent is what made such a powerful impact on Perry here.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2018, 11:59:08 PM »

;D ;D ;D

True...... Tho she does bring a lot to her role....

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2018, 12:33:26 PM »

Well, I did eventually join a co-ed bowling league that served ices on a stick......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T