News: In theaters December 14: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dead Pool & Bird 30 Year Anniversaries  (Read 515 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: August 05, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »

I recently attempted to sit through these again, but couldn’t.  I grew bored with The Dead Pool and stopped watching less than halfway through.  Bird held very little interest to begin with so I let myself become distracted throughout and fell asleep before the conclusion.  I watched the both of these earlier this year, anyway, so no big loss. 

The fifth installment in the Dirty Harry series has a strong beginning, but doesn’t take long to fade into mediocrity.  Being a fan, I enjoyed seeing this for the first time on the big screen.  There are a handful of good moments but overall it lacks the punch of the first three.  It would be great to see Eastwood reprise his iconic role again, obviously retired, possibly working a cold case with flashbacks featuring his son Scott as a younger Harry Callahan. 

As for Bird, well, this film only reinforces my opinion that unless he stars in it, it’s not a true Clint Eastwood movie.  That doesn’t mean I haven’t given them a chance or won’t.  Since Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil, I’ve missed just one movie Eastwood directed only in the theater.  To quote the late, great King Of Rock & Roll, “You gotta take the bad with the good.”  Precisely, I agree wholeheartedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:25:51 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 01:17:57 PM »

The Dead Pool solidified why that character has become ridiculous regardless of a horrid script...... Bird is still a good movie. The acting from Whitaker and Venora is first rate. My problem with Bird is it drags in the middle and all of a sudden it becomes the Red Rodney story.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:00:39 PM by Perry » Logged
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 12:58:49 PM »

Actually, one of the reasons Clint made The Dead Pool is to thank Warner Bros for having supported Bird.
Since Bird was predicted to be a box office flop, Warner Bros wanted to make money with The Dead Pool.
The Dead Pool made money but not like the previous Dirty Harry movies.
Bird is still the longest film Clint has directed. It's definitely not a crowd pleaser.
In my opinion, it's a labor of love. And I consider it as one of his best movies.
When he did Bird, his dreams came true.
Easily one of his ten best movies as a director. His best biopic by the way.
Look at Taylor Hackford's Ray: I may be wrong but I think that Bird influenced him a little bit.
Bird is probably Clint's best film of the eighties, along with Honkytonk Man, Bronco Billy, Tightrope and Pale Rider.
It is an art film which deals with Clint's great passion: jazz music. Forrest Whitaker and Diane Venora are wonderful in it.
Bird announced White Hunter Black Heart, Unforgiven, A Perfect World and The Bridges of Madison County.
Clint won his first Golden Globes as best director for Bird. It should have won the Golden Palm at Cannes Film Festival.

I think that Clint doesn't want to return at Dirty Harry. He doesn't want to make sequels any more.
In my opinion, Dirty Harry, Magnum Force and Sudden Impact are the best films of the franchise.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 04:32:55 PM »

I read that The Dead Pool made a profit of $7MM (million).  Not bad.  Not great, really, but not bad. 

Bird, however, lost $7MM.  Not good.  For the amount of money Warner Brothers invested in these two films, they wound up breaking even. 

The following year, they would lose approximately $7MM on Pink Cadillac. 

In 1990 White Hunter, Black Heart lost approximately $22MM!  The Rookie made $11MM.  So, another bad year, with a total loss of $11MM.  No wonder Eastwood retirement rumors were abound.  The six year dry spell ended in 1992 with Unforgiven.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 04:51:19 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »

I read that The Dead Pool made a profit of $7MM (million).  Not bad.  Not great, really, but not bad. 

Bird, however, lost $7MM.  Not good.  For the amount of money Warner Brothers invested in these two films, they wound up breaking even. 

The following year, they would lose approximately $7MM on Pink Cadillac. 

In 1990 White Hunter, Black Heart lost approximately $22MM!  The Rookie made $11MM.  So, another bad year, with a total loss of $11MM.  No wonder Eastwood retirement rumors were abound.  The six year dry spell ended in 1992 with Unforgiven.

There were Eastwood retirement rumors after a few years of financially unsuccessful films. Seriously?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:24:02 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 05:57:14 PM »

Yes because by 1992, before Unforgiven, Eastwood films were losing money on an annual basis.  Five years is a very long dry spell.  Clint had been in the business since the 1950’s and a major popular, profitable and successful star beginning in the mid-60’s. 

His tour de force of Unforgiven, followed by In The Line Of Fire killed that rumor mill.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:58:21 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 11:09:41 PM »

I just saw Harry's antagonist/love interest in The Dead Pool. Patricia Clarkson, in a very different role in a very different kind of movie ... She plays the quintessentially British grande dame in the quintessentially British quirky-folk-in-a-village-by-the-sea movie (directed by a Spaniard, and filmed in Northern Ireland and Catalonia): The Bookshop.

Highly recommended, if you like that sort of thing. And Clarkson's accent is as authentic (to my ears, anyway), and as thick, as clotted cream. 8)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 11:54:43 PM »

I'll look out for that one KC

I thought The Dead Pool was awful but Bird was great...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 03:35:19 AM »

I just saw Harry's antagonist/love interest in The Dead Pool. Patricia Clarkson, in a very different role in a very different kind of movie ... She plays the quintessentially British grande dame in the quintessentially British quirky-folk-in-a-village-by-the-sea movie (directed by a Spaniard, and filmed in Northern Ireland and Catalonia): The Bookshop.

Highly recommended, if you like that sort of thing. And Clarkson's accent is as authentic (to my ears, anyway), and as thick, as clotted cream. 8)

I saw that film a few months ago. I loathed clarkson’s character but she played the part really well.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 07:13:20 AM »

I think you were supposed to loathe her. ;)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 10:54:02 PM »

I saw Patricia Clarkson in The Party last night alongside "White Hunter's" Timothy Spall.... Both very good.
I wonder if they both reminisced about working with Clint on set...

I saw  Spall on a chat show some years back talking about what a great experience it was making White Hunter, Black Heart..
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:47:23 PM by Gant » Logged

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 05:35:49 PM »

I haven't seen Bird in years, but did like it. In fact, I remember getting a VHS copy of it from this board from taking part in some sort of contest. I think it might have been Matt who sent it to me.

The Dead Pool is my least favorite Dirty Harry movie, but I enjoy it.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »

"The Dead Pool" is really not that bad. I think the main reason it is thought of so poorly is because it ended up being the last Dirty Harry movie, and people were disappointed that there wasn't a stronger conclusion to the series. It definitely has a villain that is among the very weakest in the series. But I think what Eastwood was trying to do is play with how the media sensationalizes violence and manipulates stories to serve their own business interests. How a consequence of that sensationalism is the commidification of heroism, or even the manufacturing of it, because it serves their, rather than the publics, interest to do so.

The commidification of heroism and its ramifications on both the individual as well as society are themes that Eastwood would return to later on in his career when he made "Flags of Our Fathers," for example. That's actually a really important theme, which is even more important today than it was in 1988 when "The Dead Pool" was initially released.

The dangers of doing that are still with us today, and the tendency to do it is alive, well, and arguably, growing. The news has become even more of a commidity, the concept of heroism is even more manipulated, and now we have entire news organizations that are profit-driven that filter the news content we all consume through their own biased lens because it serves their interests to do so. Even if the natural consequences of doing that are a country that has become more polarized, less informed, and increasingly less aware of the media's manipulation of the news to serve their own business interests, which often comes at the expense of the public good (Fox News, MSNBC, etc). "The Dead Pool" dealt with some of these themes 30 years ago, and as a result, was actually ahead of its time in my opinion. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:08:34 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 06:51:33 PM »

Excellent commentary, AKA! I agree with you 100%.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 03:21:29 PM »

Excellent commentary, AKA! I agree with you 100%.

Thanks Matt!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 02:08:38 AM »

I agree that there are some interesting themes and ideas in the Dead Pool, especialy when dealing with the media..  but
its a tired formula and looks it..as a thriller it doesnt work. Eastwood walks through it looking uninterested.. I dont think I'd sit thru it again now.. (and theres very few Eastwood films I'd say that about) Tho if it helped get Bird made then it was worth it...

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:29:54 AM by Gant » Logged

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 03:25:31 PM »

I agree that there are some interesting themes and ideas in the Dead Pool, especialy when dealing with the media..  but
its a tired formula and looks it..as a thriller it doesnt work. Eastwood walks through it looking uninterested.. I dont think I'd sit thru it again now.. (and theres very few Eastwood films I'd say that about) Tho if it helped get Bird made then it was worth it...

Note that I stated that "The Dead Pool" dealt with interesting, relevant and current themes, but what I didn't say is that it always does those things entirely successfully. I agree that "The Dead Pool" is one of the weaker Dirty Harry movies. Although I like the Dead Pool concept, I don't understand why they chose to use horror movie/slasher film tropes or make Swan a horror movie director. All those horror movie scenes, and the weird scenes with Jim Carrey, don't really work tonally or thematically. I think one of the reasons that "The Dead Pool" isn't as thrilling as it could be is because the villain and his motivations are so weak. But, I wouldn't say that I'd never have the desire to see it again. Dirty Harry still has some amusing one liners and some of the action scenes are still decent. There are quite a few  Eastwood movies that I think are far less enjoyable than "The Dead Pool."
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 08:43:48 PM »

You know a movie is bad when Slash looks more interested than Eastwood in the movie.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:44:52 PM by Perry » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 09:07:42 AM »

You know a movie is bad when Slash looks more interested than Eastwood in the movie.

🤣

Aline

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 07:15:05 AM »

I must be the only one here that haven't seen Bird and love The Dead Pool. :)

I used to have the five stars
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T