News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: North By Northwest (1959)  (Read 8018 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »

I watched this last night. It was definitely the best of the Hitchcock movies that I've seen so far. It's funny that you guys are discussing it being thought of as the "first James Bond" movie, since that's exactly what I thought after I finished watching it. It's a less campy, slightly more realistic, but still fantastical, version of James Bond. It also was faster paced and a had a more engaging story than some of the other movies. It felt to me like it was the most accessible of Hitchcock's films. It's the kind of film that the average moviegoer would still enjoy even if they weren't necessarily a Hitchock fan. 

KC, that's really cool that you did a comparison between this film and "The Gauntlet." That's extremely creative. I would never have thought to make connections between those two films. What was your inspiration for that idea? What is it about them that caused you to go in that direction for your paper?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 11:18:37 PM »

It's a long story, AKA. I hope I'll get a chance to tell it here, but I'm a little short of time just now. I had to interrupt my viewing of Psycho just when Janet Leigh has had a chat with that nice Tony Perkins and has made up her mind to give up her life of crime and return with the loot to Phoenix. Now for a nice refreshing shower ...
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »

Now for a nice refreshing shower ...

Without soap. 

Never noticed before. Wonder if Norman just doesn't stock the motel's toiletries, or if for some reason it interfered with the way Hitchcock wanted the scene to look.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 08:25:48 AM »

Watch it again. You can hear her unwrapping the minisoap. Maybe she dropped it. Or she's scrubbing while the camera is busy looking up at the showerhead.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2018, 07:10:01 PM »

Interesting - you're right (as usual).  And I think you can see it in the very first snippet of that scene. But you don't see it again. I wonder if they did so many takes in that shower that the soap dissolved, so she pantomimes showering with soap in the rest of the scene.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T