News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strangers on a Train (1951)  (Read 2048 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 25, 2018, 12:02:34 PM »

This is the discussion thread for Strangers on a Train. Discuss anything about the movie here!
Aline

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »

I've been wanting to write on those threads for so long but never get a chance and when I have I don't know what to say. I'd like to say something more than "oh I love this one" :-[ I have the most of Hitchcock movies, he never disappoints. This one is one of my favorite. I love movies in which the story or at least half of the story takes place on a train like this and The Lady Vanishes. I just took mine of the shelf so you can see the strange title translation we have here. All the actors and characters are absolutely great especially Robert Walker.

I used to have the five stars
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 04:44:15 PM »

This is one of those cases where having read the book (twice) has ruined the movie for me. It's well cast, has a lot of great scenes, and many of the changes it makes to the book are reasonable and logical, but all the same, I can no longer really enjoy the movie. In the book Bruno is much more of a petulant, nasty alcoholic, while in the film he's much more suave. Guy was changed from an architect to a tennis player, and I understand why, but it still comes off as a bit daft. The biggest change is in the book Guy goes through with the murder, which just wasn't a reasonable choice at the time the film was made.

One interesting bit of trivia is when Hitchcock wanted to buy the rights to the book, he made sure his name was left out of the negotiations (probably not the only time he did that) with the author Patricia Highsmith, which naturally made her a bit angry after the fact. Also, it's been reported that Highsmith was pleased with the movie at the time of its release but would later criticize it for some of the choices they made that I already mentioned. As I said, I understand why they made the changes, but that doesn't mean I don't prefer the book by a considerable amount over the movie.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 05:06:33 AM »

SPOILER ALERT:

I borrowed this from a friend weeks ago and have been meaning to post since then. I liked it and the ending is one of the best Hitch has done. You keep thinking the cops are going to nab Guy but right at the end the carnival worker says it's Bruno the cops should be arresting.

I wonder which actor (main or supporting) has appeared in the most Hitchcock films? Leo G Carroll is in this and I've noticed him a couple of other Hitchcock films as well.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T