News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE MULE: Reviews and Features in the Media  (Read 5622 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 02:50:15 AM »

An intriguing opinion.....

https://mobile.twitter.com/therealmarkasch/status/1072923547373367296?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I know I said in the first post of this thread, "Only quote enough to give us the gist, not entire articles," but in the case of a tweet, as long as you include the link it's perfectly OK to quote the whole thing. In this case:
Mark Asch @therealmarkasch

THE MULE [Eastwood 2018] If THE STRAIGHT STORY was about Burt Lancaster's vainglorious pensioner-cocksman from ATLANTIC CITY. Clint directs with the sly creakiness of Ford and looks like the skeleton from da share z0ne. Possibly a masterpiece.

And in general, I think it's better to include at least a brief quote to give us an idea of the tone and general content of the article, not just a link. :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 03:08:34 AM »

Peter Debruge, chief film critic for Variety, liked it with reservations:

https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/the-mule-review-clint-eastwood-1203087533/

From Dirty Harry to … dirty grandpa, Clint Eastwood certainly has a type of character that he plays best, and “The Mule” finds him squarely in his comfort zone, appearing as a surly old horticulturalist who, at age 90, has become perhaps the most reliable drug runner for the Sinaloa cartel, evading detection for nearly a decade because he doesn’t look the part of a courier.

... Eastwood is a minimalist, and instead of building on what has come before, he whittles away, recognizing that the almost imperceptible uptick of an eyebrow or a discreet downturn of the mouth is more effective than a full-blown grimace or reams of dialogue.

The film is full of small supporting characters, including Bradley Cooper, Michael Peña, and Laurence Fishburne as a trio of thinly sketched DEA agents, although Earl’s is the only role that could reasonably be described as a three-dimensional human being. The others are almost insultingly flat, which is most troubling when it comes to the Latino characters. A few of them actually have names, but most are little more than reductive stereotypes: generically menacing Mexicans who almost certainly have more nuanced reasons for doing what they do. If only the movie afforded them the same attention it lavishes on understanding where Earl is coming from.

If you’ve read this far, then you are at least receptive to the idea that “The Mule” could do better where its identity politics are concerned, and that’s perhaps the biggest letdown in a movie that’s otherwise classic Eastwood: spare, efficient, and morally complicated enough (regarding Earl’s motives) to deliver a satisfying night at the movies. This isn’t the role that will earn Eastwood a legion of new fans, but it’s almost sure to delight those who appreciate him already.
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 12:06:29 PM »

"The Mule plays as personal as anything he's  done"......
Kenneth Turan L.A. Times.

https://mobile.twitter.com/latimesent/status/1073280999801245696

He's also included "The Mule" in his top films of 2018.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 02:16:50 PM »

Some of the negative reviews I've read are pretty much the PC knuckleheads who couldn't wait to make a political point and it's laughable. You saw some of that with Gran Torino, but they've pretty much raised their artillery for this movie. I was surprised Newsday liked the picture. They never liked anything Eastwood did. Will i go see the movie? Probably not.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 09:42:30 PM »

Will i go see the movie? Probably not.

Why not, Perry?
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »

AKA23...... For some reason after Gran Torino I have not liked any of Eastwood's movies. 15:17 really did it for me. I shut the movie off after 40 minutes. The Mule from what I read, even the positive reviews seems like a retread of other performances from the past and the movie doesn't parallel the real story. So, whats the point?....
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 09:50:54 AM »

AKA23...... For some reason after Gran Torino I have not liked any of Eastwood's movies. 15:17 really did it for me. I shut the movie off after 40 minutes. The Mule from what I read, even the positive reviews seems like a retread of other performances from the past and the movie doesn't parallel the real story. So, whats the point?....

Perry, did you actually like Gran Torino ?

What are your favorite Clint movies ?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 10:05:20 PM »

I didn't even know Artforum carried movie reviews. But it does, and Nick Pinkerton's review of The Mule is a good one:

https://www.artforum.com/film/the-mule-77970

A BIZARRE, BRAZEN, AND OFTEN WONDERFULLY SURPRISING FILM, The Mule will slink into cinemas without the benefit of year-end awards season campaigning—its director and star, Clint Eastwood, is a two-time Best Director winner, but despite all his past prestige success, he has somehow managed to retain a distinct tang of the déclassé.

The emotional core of The Mule is Earl’s own late-in-life reckoning with his relationship to work and play and all the preoccupations that have rendered him, to his belated regret, a stranger to his family, and when dealing with these family affairs Eastwood moves into melodrama, a mode he slips into as easily as a cozy pair of hiked up khakis. His film has an endearing pokiness about it, a confident, ambling pace mirrored in Earl’s roundabout runs, which always leave time to pull over for a good pulled pork sandwich, to stop and smell the daylilies.
honkytonkman

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 11:13:10 AM »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls025720609/videoplayer/vi634173977?ref_=tt_ecw_tm_i_1

An IMDb original:

IMDb on the Scene - Interviews (2018-)
Clint Eastwood's Directing Style and His Classic Cartoon Impersonation (2:00)
The cast of 'The Mule' break down Clint Eastwood's directing style and the legendary auteur performs an impression of a classic cartoon character.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:01:31 PM by KC » Logged
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 07:33:11 PM »

Hocine, Gran Torino to me is a top 5 movie of Clint's career as far as I'm concerned. I did like Sniper very much. That's about it for the decade since 2008. My tastes run very different from most in here. I'm not as enamored with Unforgiven as just about every one else is and that's fine. My point is I just haven't cared for the movies Eastwood has been involved with since 2008 and neither has an audience outside of Sniper.....
honkytonkman

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 07:45:46 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klVH1V2JH_g

This one is from Warner Bros.:

“This is very different from anything I’ve ever done before.” Go behind the scenes with Clint Eastwood and the cast of #TheMule, now playing only in theaters.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 08:57:44 PM by KC » Logged
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »

BTW, to answer your question Hocine, my favorite Eastwood movies in no order.....A Top 11

Dirty Harry                                                         Directing only:  Letters From Iwo Jima, Breezy, American Sniper, Bird                                                         
The Good,The Bad And The Ugly
Tightrope
White Hunter Black Heart
Gran Torino
Joe Kidd
Where Eagles Dare
High Plains Drifter
Million Dollar Baby                                           
The Beguiled
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2018, 03:29:15 PM »

Hocine, Gran Torino to me is a top 5 movie of Clint's career as far as I'm concerned. I did like Sniper very much. That's about it for the decade since 2008. My tastes run very different from most in here. I'm not as enamored with Unforgiven as just about every one else is and that's fine. My point is I just haven't cared for the movies Eastwood has been involved with since 2008 and neither has an audience outside of Sniper.....

It’s very interesting, Perry.
I think that we have the right to like what we want.
If everybody liked the same movies, there wouldn’t be so many interesting discussions.
In my opinion, the last decade is not the best of Clint’s career.
However, I was able to enjoy each movie he did. Even Hereafter, Trouble with the Curve or Jersey Boys.
American Sniper is probably his best movie of the last decade.
About Gran Torino, it’s a very popular movie and I like it very much.
When I talk about Clint movies with some friends who are not necessarily die-hard fans of him, they inevitably quote Gran Torino.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »

BTW, to answer your question Hocine, my favorite Eastwood movies in no order.....A Top 11

Dirty Harry                                                         Directing only:  Letters From Iwo Jima, Breezy, American Sniper, Bird                                                         
The Good,The Bad And The Ugly
Tightrope
White Hunter Black Heart
Gran Torino
Joe Kidd
Where Eagles Dare
High Plains Drifter
Million Dollar Baby                                           
The Beguiled
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Thank you for your answer, Perry !
Some of your favorite Clint movies are actually among my favorite ones.
About the movies you quoted, Joe Kidd is generally considered as the weakest one by the critics.
I think that the weakest part of Joe Kidd is the script which was unfinished when the shooting started.
However, the photography of Bruce Surtees is beautiful and Lalo Schifrin music score is good too.
Joe Kidd is still entertaining even if it’s among the best westerns Clint did.

My favorite Clint movies:

As a director only:
Bird, Mystic River, Letters from Iwo Jima, Breezy, Flags of Our Fathers, American Sniper, Changeling, Sully

As an actor only:
The Good the Bad and the Ugly, For A Few Dollars More, A Fistful of Dollars, Dirty Harry, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot,
The Beguiled, Hang’em High, Magnum Force, In the Line of Fire, Escape From Alcatraz, Tightrope (unofficially directed by Clint)

As an actor and director:
Unforgiven, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Million Dollar Baby, A Perfect World, The Bridges of Madison County,
Honkytonk Man, High Plains Drifter, Pale Rider, Bronco Billy, Gran Torino, Play Misty for Me, White Hunter Black Heart, Heartbreak Ridge

I haven’t seen The Mule: in France, it will be released on January 23.
I will see it for sure.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »

In my previous post, I meant:
Joe Kidd is still entertaining even if it’s not among his best westerns.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »

Well Hocine, we are basically related..........
honkytonkman

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2018, 02:36:09 AM »

https://deadline.com/2018/12/clint-eastwood-the-mule-hollywood-career-peter-bart-1202523855/

The Mule won’t be a box office hit like Gran Torino, and it won’t win surprise Oscars like Million Dollar Baby, but it will reinforce Eastwood’s credentials as America’s most productive, autonomous and idiosyncratic filmmaker. Warner Bros released the movie with little hoopla — a modest campaign, no print ads, no appearances on late-night TV. The critics were respectful, if a bit perplexed: Why would the filmmaker who gave us Outlaw Josey Wales or J Edgar or Jersey Boys or The 15:17 to Paris invest his talents in The Mule?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 05:38:37 AM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2018, 10:24:59 AM »

Film Comment's Nicolas Rapold features The Mule in a podcast:

https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/the-film-comment-podcast-the-rep-report-3/

Shadows and swagger: our critics enjoy the darkness of Jacques Tourneur's films and revel in The Mule and the ever-unpredictable Clint Eastwood

Then it’s time for a holiday surprise—at least, that’s how the movie has affected our critics, who saw it only after deadlines for the best-of-the-year polls had passed: The Mule, directed by Clint Eastwood, who stars as a charming drug courier of a certain age. For this episode, I was joined by K. Austin Collins of Vanity Fair; Jon Dieringer, co-founder of Screen Slate; Nellie Killian, a contributing editor at Film Comment and programmer; and Nick Pinkerton, regular FC contributor.

The discussion of The Mule starts about 33 minutes in. :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:28:49 AM by KC » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »

I listened to this, and to be honest, I can't really tell whether they liked the movie or not!  ::)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2018, 11:55:05 PM »

For those who wondered about Mollie B, and her role in the VFW scene:

https://lacrossetribune.com/entertainment/spring-grove-native-mollie-b-has-polka-party-with-eastwood/article_03fddd52-702f-53b8-9e76-dadb372dc6d7.html

Mollie Busta, known to music fans across the country as Mollie B thanks to her “Mollie B Polka Party” show on RFD-TV, found out this year that she has a fan who has a pretty solid following himself: Clint Eastwood.

“Mollie B Polka Party” airs every week on Wednesday and Saturday evenings, and apparently Eastwood had gotten to be a regular viewer. As he was preparing to make “The Mule,” a recently released movie in which he plays the starring role and directs, he insisted on including a polka scene in the movie so Busta could be in the movie.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T