News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who saw The Mule? Members' Comments (WARNING: SPOILERS ALLOWED!)  (Read 3762 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« on: December 10, 2018, 01:03:13 AM »

With The Mule opening this week. It's time to get our traditional "members' comments" threads started.

In this thread, spoilers are allowed. Anyone who has seen The Mule and has more to say than can be safely posted in the "No Spoilers" thread, please give us your thoughts, comments or full-fledged review.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 05:25:04 PM »

Okay, so no one has posted in the spoiler thread yet, so I'm going to go ahead and do so. I'm stating the obvious in case you didn't realize this was the spoiler thread and haven't seen the movie yet. :D ;D

Maybe I missed it, but were any other cartel members busted when they got Earl?
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 06:32:53 PM »

Maybe I missed it, but were any other cartel members busted when they got Earl?

If I remember correctly, I don't there the movie showed any cartel busts.  But maybe it was implied that it was just a matter of time....
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 06:58:05 PM »

I don't remember any of the cartel members being brought to justice. Of course, as you know, this film was really a family drama and not really a movie about drug trafficking, so perhaps Eastwood didn't feel the need to show that.

After Bradley Cooper's character catches Earl, I think the screen pans to the courtroom briefly, and after that, we see Earl tending to his flowers, and then the film ends. "The Mule" didn't have much of a conclusion. I was surprised actually when I saw it that "Don't Let the Old Man In" started playing after that, since I knew at that point that the film was over, and I found the way it ended to be anticlimactic. I wanted to see more!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 07:52:27 PM »

I found the ending to be almost hopeful even though he's potentially going to spend the rest of his life in prison. Earl is safe and he's back to working with his flowers, plus his daughter and granddaughter are going to be visiting him (their husbands were barely there to begin with, of course! :D).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:42:25 PM by Christopher » Logged
exit00

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 04:07:10 PM »

I found the ending to be almost hopeful even though he's potentially going to spend the rest of his life in prison. Earl is safe and he's back to working with his flowers, plus his daughter and granddaughter are going to be visiting him (their perspective husbands were barely there to begin with, of course! :D).

I agree here with the ending and thought it was a pretty good one.  The usual Hollywood movie would show a montage of cartel members being rounded up in handcuffs and I always expect Clint to not do the norm.  The ending was what was going to happen to Earl and being caught probably saved his life down the road.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 01:57:38 AM »

and he might manage to get hold of some nail clippers.. ?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 09:49:47 AM »

and he might manage to get hold of some nail clippers.. ?
He needs a trowel to plant those day lilies, right? ;D
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 02:45:29 PM »

Having now seen the film twice now, I don't recall this scene from the trailer being in the movie: "This is the last one, so help me God." I'm also not sure if "I don't deserve forgiveness" was in there either. Does anyone recall these scenes in the movie?
exit00

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 09:37:54 PM »

Having now seen the film twice now, I don't recall this scene from the trailer being in the movie: "This is the last one, so help me God." I'm also not sure if "I don't deserve forgiveness" was in there either. Does anyone recall these scenes in the movie?

Funny, my wife and I was just talking about this an hour ago because my daughter saw the movie today and really liked it.  We are positive that the first line "This is the last one, so help me God." is NOT in the movie.  That actually disappointed me as I thought it was such a great line with a great Eastwood delivery in the trailer.  I had been curious to who he was saying this line to when I saw the movie or if he was by himself when he said it.  For some reason they must have cut that line out of the movie.  I'm not sure about the "forgiveness" line but I thought Earl had said something like this .... but not positive.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »

Funny, my wife and I was just talking about this an hour ago because my daughter saw the movie today and really liked it.  We are positive that the first line "This is the last one, so help me God." is NOT in the movie.  That actually disappointed me as I thought it was such a great line with a great Eastwood delivery in the trailer.  I had been curious to who he was saying this line to when I saw the movie or if he was by himself when he said it.  For some reason they must have cut that line out of the movie.  I'm not sure about the "forgiveness" line but I thought Earl had said something like this .... but not positive.

This is my impression too, exit00. I'd have to see it again to be sure.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 06:43:55 AM »

Exit, I had the exact same reaction to you. I was looking forward to learning more about the "this is the last one, so help me God scene, and was disappointed when I didn't hear it in the movie!
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 07:39:44 PM »

Something I want to discuss is the scene where Andy Garcia's cartel boss character was killed. I didn't really understand why that was included in the movie. What was the purpose of that scene? Did you guys like it and think it served the story in some way? It seemed to me like that scene belonged in a completely different movie. Then, after Garcia's character was killed, it seemed like the movie just moved on. It didn't seem to move the plot forward at all to me. 
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 12:54:15 AM »

I took it to mean that the new boss was going to be less indulgent in how his unusual employee would be treated.

Also, it shows the audience that these guys don't have their guns just for show, or skeet shooting: they are very capable of killing people in cold blood. It ups the tension in the scene where Earl returns to his job after taking time out to be with his ex-wife in her last days, and his handlers are supposed to kill him.

Other than the scene where the cartel boss is killed, there isn't any actual violence in the film, is there? But it's important that we recognize that the threat of violence is there.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 02:39:02 PM »

I also took it that it showed how dangerous it was becoming. Well, it was always dangerous, but the Garcia character seemed to like Earl. It was pretty laid back at first too--Earl probably wouldn't have stayed with it after the first time if he'd known what type of danger he could be in.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 05:33:41 PM »

I took it to mean that the new boss was going to be less indulgent in how his unusual employee would be treated.

Also, it shows the audience that these guys don't have their guns just for show, or skeet shooting: they are very capable of killing people in cold blood. It ups the tension in the scene where Earl returns to his job after taking time out to be with his ex-wife in her last days, and his handlers are supposed to kill him.

Other than the scene where the cartel boss is killed, there isn't any actual violence in the film, is there? But it's important that we recognize that the threat of violence is there.

I hadn't considered this, but I like your explanation. This scene may have been included to sow the seeds of doubt in the audience about whether Earl could defy his handlers the way he did and still make it out alive.
exit00

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 11:34:12 AM »

Yeah, I also took the scene where the cartel boss was killed to drastically up the danger to Earl and the possibility that he could easily be killed if they wanted him dead.  Garcia's character certainly liked Earl and was willing to look the other way whenever Earl deviated from his instructions... and the new guy wasn't going to do this.  Also, I thought the way this scene was filmed was very cool... to make it look like Garcia had actually shot his rifle... and then fall over.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 09:08:46 AM »

It seems like everyone that has commented so far has had the same point of view on this scene, which I find to be pretty interesting. With the additional context that you all provided, the scene appears to make more sense to me now.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:11:33 AM by AKA23 » Logged
The Highlander

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 04:26:14 AM »

I hadn't considered this, but I like your explanation. This scene may have been included to sow the seeds of doubt in the audience about whether Earl could defy his handlers the way he did and still make it out alive.

I think this is exactly the point.  When the leader was assassinated because he was perceived as getting too soft, it made for some nice drama the next time Earl violated his strict instructions.  Made the viewer wonder if he was going to be badly beaten or killed -- especially with that closeup of his bloody face that we saw in the trailer.  I felt a sense of relief when it became apparent that he would not die, even if he had to cultivate a few flowers in the prison yard.
john snow/targaryan

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »

Just viewed for a second time today. Definitely not in there. We may see it in deleted scenes on Blu Ray.

After watching again, I was struck by the timing and randomness of life for Earl. He just lost his business and home, he goes to attend his granddaughters wedding announcement party. Granddaughter Ginny in the only family member that has any faith in Earl. His wife and daughter have pretty much disowned Earl for being an absentee husband and father. As Earl starts to go in the house, both ex wife and daughter show up. After a tense, awkward back and forth, all parties decide to leave and got there separate ways. That could have been the end of the story, just another dysfunctional family drama. But, as Earl walks out to his truck, he is followed by a friend of one of the bridesmaids. The friend, who happens to be in the drug business, notices all the state decals on the back window of Earls truck and they strike up a conversation in which Earl volunteers how good his driving record is. "I've never had a ticket my entire life." The friend then tells Earl that he knows of a job that will pay Earl for just driving. He then gives Earl the business card that starts him on his way to being a drug mule legend.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T