News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who saw The Mule? Members' Comments (NO SPOILERS, PLEASE)  (Read 5427 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2018, 09:46:09 PM »

Matt, I think the secret to you enjoying Eastwood's films is me seeing it first, then writing a million page essay telling you all the reasons that you'll hate the film. Then, you go to see it, and realize that I had no idea what I was talking about!  ;D

Let's hope we can test this theory a few more times!  :)
Munny

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2018, 12:23:30 PM »

I don't 100% understand why people are saying that Earl Stone is racist. Why is that? A lot of the bad reviews are expressing that opinion, and I kind of wonder how these people would have received "The Mule" if they did not deem it to be a "racist" film. Earl Stone definitely makes some off color comments and some of them are racially tinged, but unlike Walt Kowalksi, there is absolutely no animosity there. They are used for effect and humor. I personally don't use racially tinged humor myself, but I'm not sure that doing so proves that someone is racist.
For some, words are all that matter. Context and intent are ignored. Earl is not a bigot. He uses an outdated term with no offense meant, and the word itself is not actually a slur anyway. He also jokingly refers to a group of people by a term they used to describe themselves. So, I don't see any bigotry in the film. However, I am not "woke."

Also, does anyone else think that some folks will never let go of the empty chair? I still see it mentioned all over Twitter and comment sections. Could be a factor for some reviewers, even subconsciously.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2018, 01:45:30 PM »

Most of the reviewers are basically being told what to write and say since it's a PC realm and especially since Eastwood's speech at the Republican Convention years ago upset so many of those clowns. I read a review yesterday where they had to mention FOX news. So, it's basically a phony review... If you don't like the movie, fine...I've read already a half dozen reviews where it's their own personal political beliefs are put into review. 35 years ago at least Rex Reed gave his reasons for hating a Eastwood movie without going into a diatribe about politics.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »

My best friend saw "The Mule" over the weekend and said that he loved it and thought it was a really entertaining movie. However, surprisingly, he didn't like the score!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2018, 05:53:32 PM »

My best friend saw "The Mule" over the weekend and said that he loved it and thought it was a really entertaining movie. However, surprisingly, he didn't like the score!

I loved the soundtrack -- still have "I love you more today than yesterday" in my head.  (It's always been a favorite song).
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2018, 08:12:07 PM »

Saw The Mule last night. Thought it was a very good movie. I pretty much agree with everything AKA said about it. And AKA said its not in my top 10 fav Eastwood movies. But it was something different. Eastwood was hilarious. Recommend everybody see it!
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2018, 08:42:57 AM »

I saw this opening day with Tina.  Itís been a long wait, six years since the last true Clint Eastwood film hit the big screen and The Mule did not disappoint! 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2018, 09:28:49 AM »

I loved the soundtrack -- still have "I love you more today than yesterday" in my head.  (It's always been a favorite song).

I heard Toby Keith talking about his song Don't Let the Old Man In.... If I remember right, he was playing golf with Clint and asked him how he keeps going and making movies and Clint replied that he just doesn't let the old man in.

Also, I cracked up when Clint was singing and the drug guys were irritated with his singing.... and then they started to sing along.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2018, 04:24:20 PM »

All of the music in "The Mule" was good. I definitely could have done with a few less scenes of Eastwood singing alone in his car, as that made his character a bit too silly for my liking, but I did think that Toby Keith's song was a good way to close the film. I find it very amusing that an off hand comment from Clint that he probably says all the time to his friends as kind of a funny aside inspired a country western superstar to write a song. Even more surprisingly, Eastwood actually loved it so much that he put it in the movie! This is a pretty cool confluence of events.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2018, 01:23:13 AM »

I find it very amusing that an off hand comment from Clint that he probably says all the time to his friends as kind of a funny aside inspired a country western superstar to write a song. Even more surprisingly, Eastwood actually loved it so much that he put it in the movie! This is a pretty cool confluence of events.

That's discussed in the video linked in this post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqdPunQWA-o
Enjoy
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2018, 03:56:36 PM »

More people have to have seen this by now! Let us know what you think. We want to hear from you! :)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2018, 06:29:48 PM »

I missed a chance to see it last week, so now it will probably be next week before I'm able to make it.
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2018, 03:47:58 AM »

Unfortunately The Mule isn't out in the UK until 25th January. .......patience is a virtue!!

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2018, 03:49:35 AM »

Jeeez, it feels like forever.. :(

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2018, 12:22:49 AM »

I finally saw it this week. :)

I enjoyed it. It feels amiable, easygoing, relaxed. Despite his involvement with lethal drug cartel members, you never feel Clint's character is in deadly danger (except for one scene, not to to be discussed in this thread). As others have mentioned, it continues a long line of Eastwood films in which the protagonist (usually Clint himself) has sacrificed family life or intimate relationships to his art or career. You can go all the way back to Honkytonk Man and the story of Red's one true love, Mary, and draw a line through Heartbreak Ridge, Bird (with Charlie Parker as a Clint stand-in), The Bridges of Madison County (I'm thinking of Robert's failed marriage here, but we know the real reason why Francesca can't go off with him is that they both know their relationship couldn't last if they were together long-term), Absolute Power, True Crime, Million Dollar Baby (we never learn why Frankie is estranged from his daughter, but an educated guess would be because he seemed to care more about his fighters than his family), Trouble with the Curve. The protagonist of American Sniper, too, has neglected his family to pursue a warrior's career, or if you prefer, the art of war.

Here, it's interesting that the "art" for the sake of which Earl has sacrificed his family is ... the breeding of day lilies, which, as he points out in the film, are special because they only live for a single day. This reverses the "Ars longa, vita brevis" trope, especially considering how very long Earl's life has been up to the time the story takes place. This art is brief, and Earl's life is long. I note that the day lily motif is continued throughout the film: Of course they are the flowers he supplies on several occasions when flowers are called for, but less obviously they are blooming in the scene in which Earl finally talks things through with his daughter, outside the home where he was turned away in the film's second scene (someone in the IMDb has cited this as a goof, since their season would have been long over by that time of the year), and naturally he is shown cultivating them again in the film's final scene, before the camera pulls back to give us the context of his radically changed circumstances.

It's something of a road movie too, with a lot of screen time taken up by the leading characters driving from place to place through American landscapes ... again continuing a long tradition going all the way back to Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Honkytonk Man and Bronco Billy.

All the small parts (and except for Clint's, all the parts are of necessity small) are perfectly cast. I especially enjoyed Bradley Cooper, particularly in his big scene with Clint giving him "conduct of life" advice in the waffle house. I had no problem with the way cartel members were portrayed (all right, maybe there could have been fewer bimbos in the cartel leader's mansion), and the two scenes some critics took offense to are harmless.

What else? You need to stay all the way to the very end of the credits to see the dedication "For Pierre and Richard." I'm sure most of us here would do that anyway, but at the screening I saw, by the end the only people besides me in the theater were sweeping up popcorn. A couple of things in the credits caught my eye: Someone named Cox, besides Joel, was named on the editing team ... are they related? And credited with the makeup was ... Kimber Eastwood. Family is the most important thing.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2018, 02:19:26 AM »

So,how would you rate it out of five ?

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2018, 07:56:50 AM »

Unfortunately The Mule isn't out in the UK until 25th January. .......patience is a virtue!!

Thursday is close enough. Just got my tickets. Sits reserved. What a family experience. Suppose I have to take the day off in order to get the right mood  :)

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2018, 09:28:48 AM »

Thursday is close enough. Just got my tickets. Sits reserved. What a family experience. Suppose I have to take the day off in order to get the right mood  :)

It's also opening in Argentina and Hungary on January 3. Who decides these things? ???
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »

As someone who has also seen this movie, everything that KC has said about it is correct. The fact that you rarely feel that Earl is in any danger, and that it's more of an amiable road movie/drama with a lot of unexpected comedy sprinkled in, were  some of the things that I didn't like about it. It also has a very relaxed pace, like KC said, and in most scenes, lacks the dramatic tension that I would have expected for this type of story. I haven't seen it again yet, and am looking forward to learning whether my feelings change or remain the same after a second viewing.

I wasn't able to stay for the end credits during the premiere, but I think it's pretty cool that Kimber Eastwood did the make up. I didn't know that!

David Cox (I am assuming that's the name you saw) has actually worked with Joel Cox before. I assume David is his son or another relative of his, but I definitely remember the name from the credits of other Eastwood movies, and I think he also helped Joel Cox edit some of the non-Eastwood films that he's done in recent years as well, like "Prisoners."

KC, what did you think of Arturo Sandoval's score?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2018, 06:09:26 PM »

I liked the score. It fit the movie perfectly. There was a hint of an Eastwood-like theme at the very beginning, but most of the time it was very unobtrusive, as we know Clint likes it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T