News: In theaters now: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who saw The Mule? Members' Comments (NO SPOILERS, PLEASE)  (Read 3618 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2019, 11:16:36 PM »

Thanks for that in-depth review, AKA! :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2019, 08:23:04 AM »

Glad you liked it better the second time, AKA!  O0
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2019, 02:43:46 PM »

Thanks for that in-depth review, AKA! :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it, KC. I know that in the past, you've liked how my reviews often connect similar themes together and write how those themes had been developed and evolved throughout Eastwood's career. So, I decided to make a special effort with my review for "The Mule."  :)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2019, 09:12:03 AM »

While watching "The Mule" something that I noticed that is not typical of films that Eastwood directs is that it seemed to me that Clint included a lot more close ups, especially of his character, than he typically does. Did anyone else notice that as well, and why do you think that was done for this film?
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2019, 09:50:05 PM »

I have finally seen The Mule this week in Paris, France.
Actually, I have seen it twice.
The first time was on Wednesday night and the second time was on Friday night.
The theater wasnít so crowded on Wednesday but it was full on Friday.
And I plan to see it again on Saturday afternoon.

I like The Mule very much.
The first thing I can say about The Mule is that Clint Eastwood shows that heís really a great actor and a great movie star. He deserved an Oscar nomination for his performance at least. I mean it.
Clint is talkative, he sings, he dances. Heís just wonderful.
The best thing in The Mule is just the physical presence of Clint Eastwood.
His face, his body, his eyes, his voice are immediately recognizable.
Even he got older. The Mule is definitely built around Clintís character.
As AKA23 told us last month, thereís really nothing to spoil in this film.
Itís about Earl Stone, an old man who is probably near the end of his life.
Indeed, heís nearly 90 years old and lived most of his life for working as an horticulturist.
Earl loves flowers and spent more time with them than with his own family.
Earl missed most of the familial events like his daughterís wedding and graduation.
But because of digital technologiesí development, his business is over.
Earl is broke and had to find an other job to make money, save his house from foreclosure and finance his granddaughterís wedding. He wants to keep enjoying life too. So, he accepted to drive.
The direction in The Mule is very minimalistic and simple.
I like the score of Arturo Sandoval and all the old songs we can hear.
When Clint sings Willie Nelsonís On The Road Again, I had the feeling to hear Clint Eastwood singing in Honkytonk Man.
Dianne Wiest, Bradley Cooper were good, although their roles are secondary.
The rest of the cast is good too. Yves Bťlangerís photography is not so dark. I would say sunny most of the time.
The best scenes are probably the ones Clint shares with Cooper and Wiest.
He has a great chemistry with them. Andy Garcia is funny and reminds me Tony Montana character played by Al Pacino in Scarface. But a softer and non paranoid Tony Montana.
The dance scene with women in bikinis close to the swimming pool are useless for the story itself.
But they are funny and tell something about Earl Stone: he enjoys life though heís nearly 90 years old.
The Mule is a companion piece to Gran Torino like Bronco Billy is a companion piece to Honkytonk Man.
The Mule is definitely lighter than Gran Torino, even thereís some sad scenes.
The Mule is more a road trip and a comedy drama than a thriller or an action movie.
This movie is a tribute to Clint Eastwood, like Gran Torino, and speaks about Clint Eastwood.
Itís about his lifetime, his regrets, his failures and his success. Itís about the importance of family.
Itís about America and the cost of the American dream.
There are some priceless life lessons.
Itís always a great pleasure to see Clint on big screen.

In The Mule, director Clint Eastwood is overshadowed by actor Clint Eastwood.
Without Clint, there wouldnít be The Mule. Pure and simple.
But The Mule is a very good movie, very funny, very entertaining.
Itís not as good as Unforgiven, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River, Bird, A Perfect World,
The Bridges of Madison County, Letters From Iwo Jima, Honkytonk Man and High Plains Drifter.
But I think that The Mule is not so far from the level of Gran Torino.
Earl Stone is one of the best Clintís characters.

Nowadays, the American cinema lacks movies like The Mule.

Thank you so much, Mr Eastwood !

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:06:51 PM by Hocine » Logged
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2019, 10:14:31 PM »

While watching "The Mule" something that I noticed that is not typical of films that Eastwood directs is that it seemed to me that Clint included a lot more close ups, especially of his character, than he typically does. Did anyone else notice that as well, and why do you think that was done for this film?

Yes, I think youíre right.
The Mule is focused on Clintís character with many driving sequences.
So, close ups may be logical.
Close ups can show Clintís face and skin better and the fact that he got old.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2019, 10:42:09 PM »

Thank YOU, Hocine, for this excellent review!

Yes, I think youíre right.
The Mule is focused on Clintís character with many driving sequences.
So, close ups may be logical.
Close ups can show Clintís face and skin better and the fact that he got old.

Yes, I think Clint meant to emphasize his age, rather than attempt to play it down. How rare is that?
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2019, 04:05:01 PM »

Just back from seeing The Mule..

I'll keep it short and post more of my review later..
But just to say I absolutely loved it. Eastwood the actor has rarely been better. I enjoyed the story, the music and all the other characters. A really good, fun, sometimes sad movie... Didn't drag for a second.

I too noticed the close -ups which I thought worked well.. I mean who can relay more emotion in a close up than our Clint :)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2019, 12:03:10 PM »

Its been a few days now and I can honestly say I really loved this film. It's stayed with me and I hope I can see it again before it leaves the cinemas over here.
I think its one of Clints best performances, right up there with Baby and Torino for me of his later film work. If Clints acting again then this is exactly what I want to see ie something different, a new departure.. (unlike that in Curve).  Sure, there's elements of past characters in Earl (as has been previously mentioned) but I've never seen him quite like this before.. The character was almost whimsical, funny .. totally suiting his current age too...
I also thought all the supporting cast were excellent too.. right down to the smallest parts.. I thought Garcia was great in his tiny role..
I loved the music and all the scenes of Earl driving along and singing... the dancing too..
Although fun in places I still found it quite tense at times, especially towards the end and didnt think the trailer was overly misleading..

negatives... the camera did seem to linger a little too long on the young ladies ahem.. bodies.. It looked like a shot from a 70's film.. and I did also think the way he reconcilled with his family at the end a little too pat.. but these are small things..
I thought it a great movie with a wonderful performance.. If it's Clints last acting role then it satisfies me.. a perfect one to bow out on..

I thought that up until the end the gang members were quite  freindly towards Earl and obviously warmed to him as the film wore on..
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:04:32 PM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T