News: In theaters now: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Sondra Locke  (Read 495 times)
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: December 13, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »

Not sure this is confirmed but read on my phone Sondra Locke passed away of cancer age 74......
honkytonkman

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 08:21:08 PM »

honkytonkman

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 08:28:04 PM »

It sounds like a hoax, because she would have died on november 3 …. a little late for media coverage, right?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:32:48 PM by honkytonkman » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 10:34:50 PM »

It's not a hoax, sadly. This is Variety:

Actress and director Sondra Locke, who received a supporting actress Oscar nomination in her first movie role for “The Heart is a Lonely Hunter,” died Nov. 3 at 74. The Los Angeles County Public Health Department confirmed her death.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/sondra-locke-dead-dies-heart-is-a-lonely-hunter-1203089402/

Apparently her last starring role was in Ray Meets Helen, directed by Alan Rudolph (his first film in 15 years). It was released earlier this year, and got a favorable review (Critic's Pick) in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/movies/ray-meets-helen-review-alan-rudolph.html

R.I.P.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 06:05:06 AM »

Sondra Locke, Oscar-Nominated Actress for 'The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter,' Dies at 74

Rest In Peace 🙏 God Bless 🙏

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 11:56:41 AM »

I just saw the news today. Amazing it took so long for this to get to the public!
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 03:26:12 AM »

Yeah. I don’t understand why it took so long either. Very sad news.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 07:36:24 PM »

I probably vilified Locke more than anyone in here. I never thought she was the right actress in all of Eastwood's movies except for The Gauntlet which she was terrific in. I just felt Eastwood's movies suffered with her miscasting- especially Bronco Billy.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 07:49:45 PM »

For a woman to die at 74 is kind of young!  :(

In tribute to her, I am posting this very nice article from Sasha Stone's website Awards Daily. The author, surprisingly for those of us who are Eastwood fans, considers Locke to be an "outstanding actress." See below. I have unfortunately never seen a performance from her in a non-Eastwood film. 

Sondra Locke And Eastwood’s Shadow
by David Philips

It’s hard to calculate how much Sondra Locke’s career was helped and hurt by her long-running personal and professional relationship with Clint Eastwood. On one hand, her co-starring roles with her then partner were widely distributed, much talked-about, and often commercially successful. On the other, to many, the arc of her career was sometimes defined more by Eastwood than by her own considerable talents.

Which is too bad, because Sondra Locke was an outstanding actress. She scored an Oscar nomination for supporting actress in her very first role. Acting opposite Alan Arkin in the lovely – if largely forgotten – The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, Locke made an impressive debut as a petulant teen who forms a friendship with Arkin’s deaf-mute character. It’s terrific work in a fine film whose sentimental tone has perhaps not aged well when compared with the more cutting-edge films of the late 60s, such as The Graduate and Easy Rider.

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2018/12/14/sondra-locke-and-eastwoods-shadow/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 10:01:55 AM »

I just felt Eastwood's movies suffered with her miscasting- especially Bronco Billy.

I actually loved her in Bronco Billy. I think the only role in which she was miscast was as Lynn Halsey-Taylor. The Which Way films would have been less painful to watch if we didn't have to listen to her sing.

Cancer has taken too many men, women and children's lives. It touches all of us to one degree or another.  :(

RIP Sondra.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 11:35:52 AM »

I actually loved her in Bronco Billy. I think the only role in which she was miscast was as Lynn Halsey-Taylor. The Which Way films would have been less painful to watch if we didn't have to listen to her sing.

Cancer has taken too many men, women and children's lives. It touches all of us to one degree or another.  :(

RIP Sondra.

Actually, among all the movies in which she shared the screen with Clint, Bronco Billy was her favorite one.
She liked The Outlaw Josey Wales too. But she wasn’t particularly fond of The Gauntlet or Sudden Impact.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 01:47:45 PM »

David Philips blurb about Locke is absolutely 100% correct.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 07:34:25 PM »

David Philips blurb about Locke is absolutely 100% correct.

Except that it's dated December 14 and it ends with the line ...

Sondra Locke died yesterday ...
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 04:56:40 AM »

Sad to hear this... I thought she was terrific in Josey Wales, The Gauntlet and Bronco Billy..  Three films
that are amongst my favourites..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 03:57:34 PM »

Was watching The Gauntlet yesterday ( Yeah..... I was.. ) and like I always said Locke was really good in it.  Like I always said the first hour of that movie is very funny and well paced and then the movie just becomes too ridiculous and over the top where It didn't have to be. But Locke was damn good in the movie........
Aline

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 07:03:17 AM »

I didn't know about that. So sad. I also think she was in a lot of Clint movies, in Bronco Billy could have been another actress. A long long time I watched a movie on tv called The Seducers/Death Game, a kind of trash movie but she was very convincing in it.
Rest in peace, Sondra :(

I used to have the five stars
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T