News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marnie (1964)  (Read 3556 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 15, 2018, 09:22:42 PM »

Sorry I'm a little late posting this discussion thread for Marnie. With The Mule premiering, I temporarily forgot about the Hitchcock films we've been watching.  This is our 2nd bonus film, so if you wanted to give this one a watch, post your thoughts here.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »

There will be spoilers here.  Don't read if you haven't seen Marnie yet.

I first saw Marnie about 30 years ago, and had little recollection of the plot – only remembering that I had enjoyed the film. So I was looking forward to watching this for our film series and watched it tonight. It’s another Hitchcock psychological thriller that dives deep into the human psyche, as Spellbound and Psycho previously had done, but this time – the results are much darker.

Tippi Hedren's performance is impressive as she tackles a difficult role which may be the first of its kind – a film that focuses on the long-term effects of being a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. Sean Connery is also good in his role as the man who wants to save and possess her. Although Connery was a more established actor (this is Tippi's second starring role and Connery was already James Bond) this is her movie. She's the center of every scene -- cold as ice one moment, and a firestorm of rage and confusion the next.

It’s quite a melodramatic film. Hitchcock brings the camera in close to bear witness to Marnie’s fear and self-preservation techniques to keep a safe distance from anyone who might try to get too close. Sometimes, the film feels a bit too melodramatic -- that swelling music with every revelation just adding to the drama. But, it's a sign of the times. The film is 54 years old, and if often feels it. But that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed for the great classic film it is.

I was intrigued by Tippi's first name, so looked online to learn more about her, and found  "Tippi" is a nickname for "Tupsa", meaning "little girl" or "sweetheart".  Also:

Tippi has devoted much time and effort to charitable causes: she is a volunteer International Relief Coordinator for "Food for the Hungry". She has traveled worldwide to set up relief programs following earthquakes, hurricanes, famine and war, and has received numerous awards for her efforts, including the Humanitarian Award presented to her by the Baha'i Faith. As for animal causes, she is founder and president of The Roar Foundation.
Source:  https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001335/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

And, if she really liked you, she'd name a house cat after you (she had named one after Sean Connery). But, she didn't name one Hitchcock. I'm interested in reading a Hitchcock biography to learn more about what went on between them, but according to her IMDb bio, he not only made her career, but broke it as well.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:06:30 PM by Matt » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:29:21 PM »

Tippi is now 88 (Clint's age) and looked smashing in red at the Met premiere of an opera based on the book Marnie:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/22/arts/music/tippi-hedren-hitchcock-marnie-met-opera.html

When she showed up at the Metropolitan Opera on Friday for the opening of the new opera “Marnie,” Tippi Hedren wore an elegant, glittering floor-length gown. In bright red.

“I thought, I’m going to wear it,” Ms. Hedren, 88, who starred in Alfred Hitchcock’s 1964 film version of “Marnie,” said with a mischievous smile, “and see if anybody gets it.”

Plenty did, to her delight. In the film, the color red — seen in a bunch of gladioli, or an ink stain on a white blouse, or a jockey’s silks — sends Marnie into paroxysms of terror, triggering memories of the childhood trauma that turned her into a deeply troubled kleptomaniac.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 10:05:50 PM »

Tippi is now 88 (Clint's age) and looked smashing in red at the Met premiere of an opera based on the book Marnie:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/22/arts/music/tippi-hedren-hitchcock-marnie-met-opera.html

What a cool lady. Thanks for posting this!
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »

I have gotten this and will be viewing it soon!
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »

I just finished watching this. This was one strange movie! I enjoyed seeing Sean Connery, and I found the exploration of Marnie's childhood trauma to be intriguing. I never saw what Sean Connery's character saw in Marnie, though.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 10:03:43 PM »

I think he liked the mystery around her, and since he studied animal behavior, he was just really intrigued by her, and wanted to tame/control her.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 10:17:41 PM »

This was one strange movie!

Yep, it was a strange one. This only took off in the last half for me. I just couldn't get into it.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T