News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Poncho Answer...  (Read 27324 times)
Manco

The Man With No Name.

View Profile Email
« on: June 16, 2003, 05:48:51 AM »

???There have been quite a few posts asking where the famous Poncho came from and I think I can answer the question. A couple of years ago there was a documentary  about the dollars trilogy and eastwood was asked about the poncho and cigars origins.

He said he went into a little shop in the middle of nowhere in spain, a couple of days before filming began. He bought some cheap cigarlillos and cut them each in half to get the small stubby look.

In the same shop he seen on a rack in the corner a Poncho. He wanted his charachter to be unlike any other out there and so the clothes where as good a place to start. He bought the Poncho and the rest is History.

I hope this anwers this long running question! ;D

There Are Two Types Of Spurs In This World. Those That Come Through The Door And Those That Come Through The Window.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 04:07:33 PM »

Not without a source, it doesn't.

Also, I don't recall anyone's ever asking where the poncho came from on this Board. All most people seem to want to know is, where did it go?
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 04:09:28 PM »

All most people seem to want to know is, where did it go?

OH, OH!! I'll take Who is Clint Eastwood for a $1000, KC?
DIRTY LARRY

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 11:22:57 PM »

Here is another answer as to where the poncho came from.....this from the horses mouth.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3531927235&category=790
LetRedGo

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2003, 07:28:01 PM »

The story on the e-bay site makes more since. Because of what Clint says about the cigarillos in the liner notes from the DVD of 'For a Few Dollars More'. In it, and I quote:

"The actor also played a large part in creating the character's distinctive visual style. He purchased the black Levi's from a Hollywood Boulevard sport shop, the hat from a Santa Monica wardrobe firm, and the trademark black cigars from a store in Beverly Hills."

As to were he got it, the real answer is 'he got it near the dying reb in 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' (insert appropiate music here)  ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2003, 08:09:46 PM »

On the other hand, Leone has repeatedly taken credit for thinking of the poncho. It's a "He says ... he says" situation.
LetRedGo

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2003, 08:40:15 PM »

Very true KC. Facts become myths and myths become legends. Does CE still have the original???

On the other side the price (and color) for the e-bay ponco is far better then the one on Speghetti Western Replicas, I may bid on on it.

I know there is another thread for this subject but I do hope a DVD of the restored edition comes out next year. I didn't even hear of it when it came out, yet on May 10, my channel surfing found it less then 10 minutes into it. My first thought was 'cool, GBU in letterbox on AMC, nice change' and went on to cook dinner. Next thing I saw was the 'grotto scene' I had never seen before. Needless to say, dinner was all but forgetten  :)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2003, 09:57:36 PM »

Don't count on the price being that much better than the one offered by one of this site's sponsors (which is handwoven, not machine woven, from handspun UNDYED wool....sheep don't grow olive green fleece). The bid is up to $300 already, and the reserve hasn't been met ... ;)

Just so the story as it's told on that eBay page doesn't get lost, I'll quote it here:

We have spent years in the making of an exact duplicate of the poncho Clint Eastwood wore in the Spaghetti Western Trilogy ( A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE and THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY). Although, over the years, a few have appeared on the market that appeared to be OK, they were ultimately not accurate and too expensive. One outstanding poncho, currently being marketed is nice enough but both retails at $600 and is the wrong color. Our Eastwood Poncho is the exact color of the original which was Olive Green not Brown. (This is a common mistake as most old '60's photos tend to turn reddish. See the new DVD releases.) I was fortunate enough to actually see the original poncho once in Carmel when Clint loaned it to a friend to display in his Mexican resturant for a while. Needless to say, I took several mental notes. Clint stated that he bought the poncho at Western Costume in Hollywood as he thought "Joe" or THE MAN WITH NO NAME from "A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS" would wear one (his own idea) and he never washed or cleaned it during the making of all three films! He doesn't know where the original was made. Our poncho is 100% Wool and has all of the accurate designs machine woven into the blankets so they are visable on both sides of the poncho. These ponchos are made in America and take over 40 solid hours of work to get each completed. Winner agrees to pay shipping and insurance of $20.

colonel mortimer

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2003, 09:38:32 PM »

I don't know about you but if the poncho is less than $500 I suppose it's a bargain. As it has been noted, it looks better than any I've EVER seen.

Green fleece? What are you smoking?  ;D

I can believe the 40 hours of labor as I tried to have one made in the '80's .....what a disaster! Those designs are pretty elaborate. Does anyone know if they are Spanish, Navajo or Mexican?  ???

I read the same thing; Clint bought the poncho at Western (now defunct) in Santa Monica who supplied all the western films in those days. He said in the same interview he had folded it up and put it away....unwashed. :-[
Manco

The Man With No Name.

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2003, 07:33:57 AM »

I guess I may have got my wires crossed when I started his post. I could have got the spanish shop confused with the one mention. Anyway-

There's one thing puzzling me- Eastwood says it was the same poncho used in all films- But there are bullet holes (at least 5) after the first film and in the other films they are not noticable. And in FAFDM you get to see both sides of the poncho in one scene and there aint any? I was wondering if mabye they did use two ponchos- one that olive green colour and one brown.

In the GBU it is brown all the time with no green look as in the other films it's very confusing!

The more I think about it, it is like they have used two.
- One other point- the bullet holes at the end of the first film are bullet holes- they can be clearly seen through, so it's not as if hey can jsut wipe them off. ???

There Are Two Types Of Spurs In This World. Those That Come Through The Door And Those That Come Through The Window.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2003, 04:21:46 PM »

Maybe he took it to the dry cleaners ... mine's pretty good at "invisible re-weaving." ;)

Manco, do you know the name of the documentary you mentioned, and whether it's available on video? It would be interesting to get the exact quote.

On another note ... what is Dirty Harry going to do with those perforated trousers that he doesn't want the doctor to cut off? Wear 'em holey?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 04:23:26 PM by KC » Logged
Manco

The Man With No Name.

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2003, 01:27:53 PM »

I live in the U.K and it was on one of our channels called 'ITV' they were doing a Spaghetti Western themed weekend sponsered by budwiser. They done a documentary about how they were made and the actors in them, then they showed the films. It's bound to be back on again soon so i'll post here when it does.

It's starting to be known as the 'clint' channel. As they show the dirty harry films alot, like Sudden Impact this weekend. Next week there showing High Plains Drifter as the showcase movie.  They must all be clint fans too! :)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2003, 04:08:10 PM »

mgk, KC and I received an e-mail referencing this topic today from a member who wrote:

Yeah, Manco may be right about its origin, but where is it right now? I don't think it belongs to Clint anymore. It probably be located in some movie museum or whatever.

Rather than replying off the board directly, since this is a topic of interest to more than one person I'll reply here in this thread.  

Last year Sundayjack asked where the poncho was now, and our good member "the stranger" replied:

I once heard a rumour that the poncho at one time was in a glass case and displayed in the Hog's Breath Inn?

I cannot even remember where I heard this rumour, it certainly was not there when I visited and I do not have any hard evidence to back up that it ever was?

KC responded:

There is also a report that the poncho went with other material from Eastwood's archives to the official repository of the archives, which is at Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn. That would have been in 1988. If I can find the details I'll post them a bit later on.

KC posted later:

...  The story was originally in an article by Lawrence Van Gelder that appeared in the New York Times on September 6, 1988, when Wesleyan announced that the Eastwood papers would go to its cinema archives. Here's a quote:

Mr. Eastwood, who rarely waxes sentimental onscreen, remained in character while discussing the papers and materials he'll be sending to Wesleyan. "Special is in the eye of the beholder," he said. "Some of the stuff might be more special to an archive than to me. I'm never too much at looking back. I'm always in today and tomorrow."

But future Eastwood scholars who visit Wesleyan with visions of a Rosebud dancing in their head will find a treat waiting for them in its archives."There's a poncho that's close to my heart," said the Man With No Name. "It sort of started me off. It'll be in there."

At this point, "the stranger" decided to investigate further and contacted Wesleyan University.  He received these two replies from Wesleyan:
Wesleyan University has two separate departments housing archival material. One is the University Archives (of which I am a part). We house Wesleyan's history. The second is the Cinema Archives which houses the materials you mention. I have forwarded your message to Joan Miller, archivist at the Cinema Archives. Good luck with your research.
Sincerely,
Cheryl Hagner

I apologize for taking so long to respond to your request for information regarding the Clint Eastwood Collection at the Wesleyan Cinema Archives.
The Archives does not have the poncho used by Clint Eastwood in the Sergio Leone westerns. From what I understand, Mr. Eastwood still has the poncho.
Thank you for your interest in the Wesleyan Cinema Archives.
Sincerely,
Joan Miller

KC posted:

Thanks for taking the time and effort to inquire, putting this story to rest at last, Stranger!

I'll repeat what I said earlier

Originally posted by KC:

I'd like to point out that in the story I quoted, both the author of the article and Eastwood are speaking in the future tense: " ... papers and materials he [wi]ll be sending to Wesleyan"; "It [the poncho] [wi]ll be in there."

That could still be true; the poncho, with Eastwood's other archival material, could be marked for the Wesleyan archives at some future date.

Originally posted by KC:
From what I understand, Mr. Eastwood still has the poncho ...

At least we know it's in good hands!

"the stranger" later posted this after hearing from Wesleyan again:

Those who know me know I don't give in easy, so I dug a bit deeper earlier today, and got another reply:

Mr. Eastwood's office is just beginning to send items to the Archives. Because he is still heavily involved in filmmaking, much of his personal and professional material is still held by Mr. Eastwood himself. Because of this, the Eastwood Collection at the Wesleyan Cinema Archives will not be complete, nor open to the public for a number of years.

Thank you for your interest in the Wesleyan Cinema Archives.

Sincerely,

Joan Miller

Well, a rather more in depth answer I guess...
I won't give in, I'll try and email her at least
every Six months  ;)
-Stranger-

So that's all the information we know as of yet as to the current whereabouts of the infamous poncho!  

(Note to the stranger:  Your last post was in November, 2002.  Time to e-mail them again. ;)  ;D )
Rowdy Yates

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 01:02:16 AM »

Going back to the origin of the poncho, on the "Out Of The Shadows" documentary Eastwood says how he bought the cigars and chopped 'em up, but he gives Leone the credit for the poncho - saying Sergio bought it in a store in Spain.
TheStranger1158

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 03:47:57 AM »

Here's the answer: Clint still has it and there was never a second Poncho

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2010-10-13-eastwood13_CV_N.htm?csp=34life

Stranger in a strange land
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 03:41:17 PM »

Here's the answer: Clint still has it and there was never a second Poncho

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2010-10-13-eastwood13_CV_N.htm?csp=34life

No one responded to this. The article TheStranger1158 posted is a great find! Here's a quote from it:

He [Eastwood] has been headquartered in this bungalow since that movie [The Outlaw Josey Wales] was released in 1976. "They told me they had built this office for Steve McQueen, and somehow he fell out with them and didn't ever move in it," Eastwood says.

He asks an assistant, "Do you have the key to the closet?" and goes back to his producing partner Robert Lorenz's office, where there is a large walk-in. It looks like any man's closet: Jackets hung on the bar, boxes on the floor. A shelf lined with hats, and ... a pair of rusting spurs.

Eastwood picks them up and they make a familiar ringing sound. "Per Un Pugno Di Dollari," he says, the Italian name of his breakthrough Western: 1964's A Fistful of Dollars.

He lifts a large white box and pries off the lid. Inside is an olive-green blanket, with a pattern of white stitching. Eastwood smiles again and lifts out the iconic poncho from that Sergio Leone movie. "That's got a little history to it," he says.

A Fistful of Dollars made him a star and was the first of his "spaghetti Westerns," made by Italian crews but, in this case, shot in Spain.

"It was one of a kind. We never had a double on it," he says, unfolding the poncho. "I had to take it home at night, because they had a habit of losing things over there. I figured if we ever lost it, we'd never be able to re-create it."

Eastwood runs a hand under the fabric, pressing his finger up against small tears in the fabric, near the heart. "They sewed the holes shut," he says. "Remember? They shot through the thing."

He refolds it and puts the box back in his closet. Many of his most iconic costumes and props are on display in the Warner Bros. studio museum. But almost five decades later, he's still hanging on to that poncho.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »

I find all of this very interesting. Out of all of the Eastwood props throughout his acting career the poncho is the item I would want the most. IMO I firmly believe that Eastwood has the poncho like he says. I also think that he bought it himself. Not sure about what store he got it from. Either shop in Hollywood or shop in Spain. And not sure about olive green color. It looks brown to me. But I plan on watching these movies over the next day or so. Kind of weird that this particular poncho is one of a kind. You would think that there would have been several of these to buy at that store he got it from. And if there were anybody who bought one has an awesome piece. If they realized that was the same poncho he wore in the movies.
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 05:18:04 AM »

I find all of this very interesting. Out of all of the Eastwood props throughout his acting career the poncho is the item I would want the most. IMO I firmly believe that Eastwood has the poncho like he says. I also think that he bought it himself. Not sure about what store he got it from. Either shop in Hollywood or shop in Spain. And not sure about olive green color. It looks brown to me. But I plan on watching these movies over the next day or so. Kind of weird that this particular poncho is one of a kind. You would think that there would have been several of these to buy at that store he got it from. And if there were anybody who bought one has an awesome piece. If they realized that was the same poncho he wore in the movies.

Clint definitly still has it. It was one of a kind. (He still has virtually all his costumes and props from all his films). Any modern film would have many multiples of such an important costume.

I've seen it. It's olive green

I agree with you too, of all the items from his career, it is the one I'd pick also.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 02:40:15 PM »

Hi Palooka,

Thanks that is some great stuff from you. You are defenately the person that would know about this stuff. Its really weird the poncho looks brown on tv and in the 8x10 photo I have of him on my wall.  All these yrs Ive thought it was brown.  But last week I watched all three movies and in one up close part of the movie I could see that it is olive green in color.  But the rest of the time it appeared to look brown.  But it is one of a kind?  I mean they only made one of this particular style poncho?  Its just weird IMO that they only made one of this particular poncho.  I defenately believe you because you know about these things.  I just thought that its weird they only made one of this particular style.  What are your thoughts on where it came from?  Did Clint buy it himself?  Or did Leone buy it?  Where did they buy it from either Eastwood or Leone?  When you saw it in person were you in Eastwood's office or where you are on one of his sets and saw it there?

Thanks for the great insight
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 02:44:01 PM by Rawhide7 » Logged
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 07:28:20 AM »

Rawhide, I think there may already be a thread about the origins of the poncho. (KC will swoop on that I'm sure).  It is still a matter of debate I believe. The accepted story seems to be that it was apparently purchased from a store by Clint on his way to filming, along with other, now iconic elements of his costume. So it wasn't a custom made item and also explains why it is one of a kind.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T