News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Father hanged on his son's shoulders ... which film?  (Read 600 times)
eastclint

View Profile Email
« on: December 30, 2018, 07:21:21 AM »

I may be confused but I recall a film where, I thought, Clint's character when a young boy had to support his father (I think), while the father had a rope around his neck - as the boy weakened so the father hanged. Is this a Clint Eastwood film and, if so, what is the tile please?
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 08:19:42 AM »

Not Eastwood.
Charles Bronson in Sergio Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968).Leone originally offered the role to Eastwood but,the latter refused and the role went to Bronson ,who had previously refused the part played by Eastwood in for A Fistful of Dollars.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »

Yes, Antonis is right. I really don't think this scene is in an Eastwood film. The hanging resembles "Hang Em High," but Clint wasn't a young boy and there was no father theme in that film. I haven't seen "Once Upon a Time in the West."
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »

I haven't seen "Once Upon a Time in the West."

Seriously?
You must.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »

Antonis is correct. The scene is in Once Upon a Time in the West. It's in a flashback to Charles Bronson's character as a young boy, and the person he has to support to prevent his being hanged is his brother. Here is a quote from the synopsis in the IMDb:

As Frank and Harmonica square up a few feet apart, preparing to duel, Harmonica remembers his history with Frank. In the flashback, a young Frank strides out of the desert to the isolated ruin of a Spanish mission—a lone arch with a bell hanging at the top. He places a brand-new harmonica into a young man's mouth, telling him to keep his lovin' brother happy. The youth's hands are bound behind him, and his older brother, also bound, is standing on his shoulders with a noose around his neck. Frank and his men wait for the inevitable moment when the boy's legs will give way and complete the hanging. The doomed man curses Frank and kicks his younger brother away. The harmonica drops out of the young man's mouth as he falls into the dust.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064116/plotsummary?ref_=ttfc_ql_stry_3#synopsis

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 01:17:27 PM »

OUATITW is a very good movie. My only problem with it is it drags a little in the middle. Eastwood would had been good in it and it would had been interesting to see him with Henry Fonda who pretty much has the best role in the film, though Claudia Cardinale is quite yummy in the film and nice to look at.......
Moorman

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 08:38:49 AM »

Yes, Antonis is right. I really don't think this scene is in an Eastwood film. The hanging resembles "Hang Em High," but Clint wasn't a young boy and there was no father theme in that film. I haven't seen "Once Upon a Time in the West."
   You haven't seen THAT film?  What are you waiting on? lol.   I currently have it ranked as my number 2 Western of ever on a list I did over at the Sergio Leone forum.  I'm gonna post that list in the General Discussions forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T