News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: To Catch A Thief (1955)  (Read 3430 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 31, 2018, 12:53:59 AM »

We've extended our Hitchcock film fest to include two more films -- the first of which is To Catch a Thief starring Cary Grant and Grace Kelly.  Post your thoughts of the film here!

Aline

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 07:24:03 AM »

I have this one but it has been a long time I watched it. For what I remember Grace Kelly is gorgeous as always but in my opinion was a brunette girl who stole the show. She is so smart and funny. I'll watched it again to see if I've changed my mind. :)

I used to have the five stars
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 09:21:38 AM »

I saw this yesterday. I think I like Grace Kelly, since she was also in "Rear Window," and I liked her performance in that too. She's pretty gorgeous, and has a pretty sassy personality. She also presents well on camera. It's ashame that she had to retire from acting after she married the Prince of Monaco.

The second thing about it that was terrifying was how she was driving. She is one crazy driver, that's for sure. If I were Cary Grant, I think I would have been worried that we were going to drive off the mountain and be killed. For me, I also liked how, I was never really sure until we saw the other robber on the roof about whether or not Cary Grant's character did the robbery or was, as he was saying, actually trying to ferret out the true culprit to clear his name.

I'd also never seen Cary Grant before in a film, and he has a pretty commanding personality. One of the things that I'm noticing from some of these Hitchcock movies is that actors of that era, like Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart, had a charisma and a presence that I don't really see in todays younger generation. Eastwood also has it too, but does anyone agree with me about that? Can you think of a younger actor working today that has that?

Also, has Hitchcock ever explained why he does those blink or you'll miss it cameos in his films? I find it to be distracting. I'm glad Eastwood doesn't do that. Are there any Hitchcock films where he has any dialogue?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

The second thing about it that was terrifying was how she was driving. She is one crazy driver, that's for sure. If I were Cary Grant, I think I would have been worried that we were going to drive off the mountain and be killed.

The scene you're talking about is infamous for the fact that Grace Kelly died from driving off a cliff of a road very similar to this one.  You can read about it here - it seems she suffered a stroke while driving: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1989-10-23-8901240679-story.html

She was very beautiful -- one of the most beautiful woman ever captured on film. She's from Philadelphia, but sounds like royalty (even before she married a prince). Both she and Cary Grant speak with such eloquence, which was popular in actors of their time period (see article on Mid-Atlantic accent).

I'd also never seen Cary Grant before in a film, and he has a pretty commanding personality. One of the things that I'm noticing from some of these Hitchcock movies is that actors of that era, like Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart, had a charisma and a presence that I don't really see in todays younger generation.

And this is over 20 years into Grant's career, and if you think he's commanding as a 50 year old, you should watch a few of his earlier films. If you can stand a few B&W films, Bringing Up Baby with Katharine Hepburn is a must-see, as is The Philadelphia Story, where he co-stars with James Stewart AND Katharine Hepburn.  If we decide to do some Classic Non-Hitchcock films after this, I'll put both of these on there.

In To Catch A Thief, if your breath was literally taken away when Grace Kelly entered a scene, pay a little bit of tribute to Edith Head, who I pointed out in Rear Window was the costume designer for Grace then, and she is again here. She said Grace Kelly was her favorite actress to design for.

I really like this film, too. It's better than I remembered, and although I'm a fan of Cary Grant, I think Grace Kelly is just magic in this movie.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 03:11:20 PM »

AKA, I thought you watched North by Northwest. That stars Cary Grant. Another film you might like is Charade. It's not a Hitchcock film, but it often gets mistaken for one. It stars Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 04:02:17 PM »

AKA, I thought you watched North by Northwest. That stars Cary Grant. Another film you might like is Charade. It's not a Hitchcock film, but it often gets mistaken for one. It stars Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

You are right, Doug! I had forgotten that he was the main actor in that too. I'll look up "Charade." Thanks for the suggestion.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »

Cary Grant also stars in Notorious (which I've just re-watched). It's in black and white, but some would say Grant's co-star Ingrid Bergman is even more beautiful than Grace Kelly. ;)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 10:08:54 PM »

One of the things that I'm noticing from some of these Hitchcock movies is that actors of that era, like Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart, had a charisma and a presence that I don't really see in todays younger generation. Eastwood also has it too, but does anyone agree with me about that? Can you think of a younger actor working today that has that?

Yeah, I agree. It was a whole different world back then. Most men these days wear suits for weddings and funerals only. Women are wearing less and less each year. They just don't have the same class about them.

Also, has Hitchcock ever explained why he does those blink or you'll miss it cameos in his films? I find it to be distracting. I'm glad Eastwood doesn't do that. Are there any Hitchcock films where he has any dialogue?

I don't mind the Hitchcock cameos. Eastwood did one in Breezy and who knows maybe he has done more? The Hitchcock cameo in To Catch A Thief is a little weird though. He doesn't even acknowledge Cary Grant, just staring blankly ahead.

SPOILER ALERT:

This was fun. I was convinced the real Cat burgular was Grace Kelly and it was a surprise to me when it was revealed who really was the culprit. AKA mentioned Grace's driving and it is a little eerie watching that scene.

Only one more film to go!!!!

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 02:07:09 PM »

SPOILER ALERT:

This was fun. I was convinced the real Cat burgular was Grace Kelly and it was a surprise to me when it was revealed who really was the culprit. AKA mentioned Grace's driving and it is a little eerie watching that scene.

Only one more film to go!!!!

SK, I had the same reaction. I was also feeling like the burglar was going to be Grace Kelly's character. Is this the first time that you have seen this film?
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 03:04:48 PM »

No, I saw this probably 20+ years ago but couldn’t remember anything about it.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Aline

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 07:49:40 AM »

I watched it again. The girl I was referring to previously isn't brunette, is blond, just a darker tone than Grace Kelly. It's    
Brigitte Auber and I still love her character. I thought the movie boring this time and fast forwarded a lot of parts and Grace Kelly isn't all that. :-\ I think Ingrid Bergamn and Tippi Hedren are much more interesting than her.

I used to have the five stars
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T