News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2019 Movie Discussion  (Read 3277 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 12:51:06 PM »

I keep seeing Greg Brady!! :D

Now, I can't unsee it.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 08:40:54 AM »

I want to get to Shazam soon. It looks fun.
And fun it was. O0 The earlier movies in this franchise were so dark, so it's nice to see they've lightened them up, and I like the results.

I also saw Missing Link, the stop-motion animated movie, recently. I didn't know what to expect going in, other than the trailer looked fun. The movie was better than I expected.

I've always liked some of the various incarnations of Nancy Drew (like the movies from the late 1930s and the 1970s TV series with the Hardy Boys), so I checked out the newest movie version Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase. Nancy is very modernized here. She's a skateboarder and gets into some trouble, until she finally starts to put her energy into something more productive, which is investigating an old woman's house who complains about seeing and experiencing weird supernatural things. I liked it. The movie was made direct to DVD, but did get a limited theatrical run last month prior to its DVD release.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2019, 08:13:32 PM »

Did not disappoint.  Very good and entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 09:40:28 AM »

I saw Avengers: Endgame last night and liked it a lot as well. One of the best of the whole franchise (Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man are other favorites of mine).
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 05:44:11 AM »

After recently rewatching the first three Toy Story movies, I followed it up by going to the theater to see the new Child's Play. You play with the toys, and then the toy plays with you. :D ;D

I was just a kid when the original Child's Play came out, but I didn't see it until years later (I owned a My Buddy doll after all). The original movie is quite good, and this new one is a good remake. It manages to be both funny and bloody. The story is updated. Instead of the soul of a killer being put into the doll, the doll is created to be an interactive toy that can walk and talk and is programmed to learn schedules and patterns.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2019, 12:39:29 AM »

So what’s the deal with this new Tarantino movie always being advertised as “The 9th film by Tarantino”? Any other film is always advertised as “A film by” so and so. Whoever is the director. I’m finding it very strange indeed.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:40:31 AM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 06:01:57 AM »

Tarantino has announced his intention to retire from making movies after his 10th film, so I suspect the announcement has something to do with that.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 10:42:40 AM »

Tarantino is still young. I hope he doesn't stop after the next film. Looking forward to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood later this week.  O0
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 05:13:04 PM »

I've either read or heard from a friend that Tarantino wants to write books after he's finished with movies. I've only seen his work through Death Proof.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around him doing a Star Trek movie.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 11:57:22 AM »

Escape Plan: The Extractors

Better than the previous effort ...

another "Cannon Group" production though  ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 01:06:43 PM by antonis » Logged

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2019, 08:15:55 PM »

10/10, don't miss seeing this one, and make sure to see it in the theater.  O0

(Not sure this goes in this thread, or the "Movies I've Seen This Week" thread. I really don't want to discuss it until it's been out long enough for everyone to see it.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 01:49:58 AM by Matt » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2019, 12:40:34 AM »

Pic isn't showing for me ... :(

This thread is fine, Matt. :)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2019, 05:32:40 PM »

10/10, don't miss seeing this one, and make sure to see it in the theater.  O0

(Not sure this goes in this thread, or the "Movies I've Seen This Week" thread. I really don't want to discuss it until it's been out long enough for everyone to see it.)

How violent is it Matt? I usually avoid Tarantino's movies because of how much blood and gore they typically contain.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2019, 08:18:44 PM »

Definitely see it. It's just great, and not as violent as most of his films.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2019, 01:37:12 PM »

What was so impressive about it to you, Matt?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2019, 05:04:02 PM »

I don't want to give any spoilers -- it needs to not really be discussed until you've seen it. However, I'll say one thing that was impressive -- so don't read the following if you want to go in with no information at all...

Back in the 70's, I read Helter Skelter and I found it really fascinating, and read/watched everything about Manson and the killings. So I have knowledge of little things that most people might not who would watch this movie. One was that Abigail Folger was wearing a white robe the night of the murder. There was so much blood, the police on the scene were shocked it wasn't a red robe. In the movie, she's seen wearing that white robe. It's just a pull-away shot, but Tarantino put her in it. Most people would never notice that, but those little details are amazing. There's an intercom system at the Tate residence that he recreated -- an exact match for the one that was there the night of the murder. I remember seeing a picture of it in the Helter Skelter book with a bloody thumbprint. He didn't have to have that level of detail, but he did. Everything about it -- the Spahn ranch, the man who owned the ranch (where the Manson family lived) - all true to the facts we know. And then he built a story around it with Pitt and DiCaprio and wound it in and around the factual Tate/Manson stuff. And it works. It's perfect.  He captured 1969 in little ways that ring extremely true. And I loved that he would show the people driving the cars from the back seat, as he would have seen it when he was growing up in 1969 (same as I saw it from the back seat). I loved the low ceilings on the houses, every little detail. And the acting is out of this world from DiCaprio and Pitt.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2019, 04:07:49 PM »

So looking forward to this ...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2019, 11:34:58 PM »

You are so right Matt. I absolutely loved Once Upon A Time In Hollywood...
DiCaprio, Pitt and Robbie are awesome..

Anyone else seen it yet ?

It's a must for the big screen... I was lucky enough to see a 35mm print in London's Barbican. Absolutely gorgeous
To look at..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 11:45:21 PM by Gant » Logged

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2019, 09:30:42 AM »

I originally saw it in a digital format, then found it was being shown in 35mm at another theater and saw it again.

Another outstanding acting performance goes to the Pit Bull (Sayuri):

I've always liked these dogs, and now I want one. But seriously, without giving away any spoilers, this dog did a star job!  O0

EDIT:  Actually, I had no idea that Sayuri had actually won an award for her peformance in this film -- at Cannes:

Sayuri, a 3-year-old American pit bull terrier, is already the film's first cast member to win an award for her work.

In May, Tarantino accepted the Palm Dog Award on behalf of 55-pound Sayuri at the annual Cannes Film Festival, where "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" was an official selection. (Sayuri wasn't in attendance, so Tarantino arrived with another dog in her place.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:01:50 AM by Matt » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »

The dog had a great part... :)

I can't wait to see it again.. and so cool to see one of my fave  actors "William Smith" shown in a brief scene from
C.C and Company..

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T