News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2019 Movie Discussion  (Read 1971 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« on: December 31, 2018, 10:41:07 PM »

It may be a little while until we see a 2019 release but this is the thread for discussion of the films released this year. Anyone have any upcoming films that they're really looking forward to?

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 05:38:05 PM »

I saw my first 2019 release today: Escape Room. I've heard a lot about escape rooms over the last few years, though I haven't been to one myself. What if someone created a special escape room that killed the people who couldn't make it out in time? I enjoyed the movie. It reminded me a lot of Cube, which was about an assortment of characters stuck in a giant cube, having to move from room to room before getting killed in some horrible way. Okay, that's pretty much the same idea exactly. ;D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 01:00:19 PM »

Oh, my goodness, that's horrible!
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 05:47:32 PM »

I did an Escape Room with my best friend, who was visiting me, about a year ago. We chose what they told us was the most difficult room, and made it out! We heard a lot of people don't make it all the way to the end because they run out of time before they solve all the puzzles needed to escape. It's definitely something you want to do with a friend, preferably a smart one, who has a different skill set than you do. I doubt that I could have made it out on my own. It was a good time!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 02:58:49 AM »

STAN & OLLIE

I think this may have gotten released Stateside last year but only just opened here..

I was so scared this film might fail.. I'm a huge fan of Laurel & Hardy and grew up with their films on tv, still watch them to this day.
When actors play real  life people, especially those that are so well known its a huge hurdle to shake that
out of your mind and accept the performances, it does happen but quite rare I think.. 
In Stan & Ollie it most definitely does happen. Both Steve Coogan and John C Reilly are both absolutely superb as Laurel & Hardy..

This film mainly takes place during their last ever tour together (with a couple of flashbacks to their prime years) in the UK 1953. Their film career long in the past and now live performance is their only means of income.. They find themselves embarking on a long, hard tour of UK theatres to dwindling crowds, their fame on the decline and Ollie's health not too good..

I absolutely loved this film. Within minutes I was totally buying into the characters and was absorbed in their story.. some of it very funny and some of it very sad..
Basically a love story between two men whos lives and careers had been entined for over 30 years..and now coming to an end.. Also superb performances by Shirley Henderson and Nina Arianda as the boys wives who join them on tour and do their best to support their husbands..

Another nice touch was the audience breaking out into spontaneous applause as the end crdits rolled. I can't remember the last time that happened..

Reilly really should get an Oscar nomination if theres any justice..

6/5

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:56:55 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 06:21:07 PM »

I want to see Stan and Ollie. It did open at least in limited release in the US last month. I'll probably have to look to rent it in a few months.

I saw Glass yesterday. I don't want to get too much into spoilers about the "trilogy" (of sorts) Shyamalan has made, in case people don't realize the connections with a couple of his previous films...

But back when I first saw Split two years ago I hadn't seen Unbreakable. I liked Split a lot and I'd been at least kind of interested in Unbreakable over the years. When I saw that one, it instantly became my favorite Shyamalan movie. Glass is the movie that brings those two films together. It's a very engaging, good movie. I wasn't sure what to expect. I'd been looking forward to it, but at the same time the trailer didn't make me really anticipate it. I would place it a little under Split in terms of quality.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 03:56:23 AM »

I definitely recommend it Christopher... I'd love to hear others thoughts on this film...

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 01:43:16 PM »

I think this may have gotten released Stateside last year but only just opened here..

I was so scared this film might fail.. I'm a huge fan of Laurel & Hardy and grew up with their films on tv, still watch them to this day.
When actors play real  life people, especially those that are so well known its a huge hurdle to shake that
out of your mind and accept the performances, it does happen but quite rare I think.. 
In Stan & Ollie it most definitely does happen. Both Steve Coogan and John C Reilly are both absolutely superb as Laurel & Hardy..

This film mainly takes place during their last ever tour together (with a couple of flashbacks to their prime years) in the UK 1953. Their film career long in the past and now live performance is their only means of income.. They find themselves embarking on a long, hard tour of UK theatres to dwindling crowds, their fame on the decline and Ollie's health not too good..

I absolutely loved this film. Within minutes I was totally buying into the characters and was absorbed in their story.. some of it very funny and some of it very sad..
Basically a love story between two men whos lives and careers had been entined for over 30 years..and now coming to an end.. Also superb performances by Shirley Henderson and Nina Arianda as the boys wives who join them on tour and do their best to support their husbands..

Another nice touch was the audience breaking out into spontaneous applause as the end crdits rolled. I can't remember the last time that happened..

Reilly really should get an Oscar nomination if theres any justice..

6/5

My thoughts exactly.
Best movie of the season -the Mule excluded ofcourse -.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 10:10:21 PM »

My thoughts exactly.
Best movie of the season -the Mule excluded ofcourse -.

And like The Mule ... it got exactly zero Oscar nominations.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 05:42:25 AM »

But the Black Panther got  >:(

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 05:37:25 PM »

Recently I've seen The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part and Cold Pursuit. I'd recommend both, but maybe not as a double feature. :D

Cold Pursuit is one of my favorite Liam Neeson movies. It's darkly humorous and very violent. As the end credits started to roll I thought how I wouldn't mind going to see it again sometime here. And in the credits I noticed the name Emmy Rossum, which is a name I recognized because of Mystic River.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 05:40:10 PM by Christopher » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 06:55:56 PM »

Cold Pursuit is one of my favorite Liam Neeson movies. It's darkly humorous and very violent. As the end credits started to roll I thought how I wouldn't mind going to see it again sometime here. And in the credits I noticed the name Emmy Rossum, which is a name I recognized because of Mystic River.

I saw the original Norwegian film a few years back, starring the excellent Swedish actor Stellan Skarsgård. The Norwegian title was the rather lame Kraftidioten (meaning something like Super Idiot), but the English release title was the much cleverer In Order of Disappearance.

From what I recall of the Norwegian film, Neeson is an excellent choice to play the "disappearer."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:25:07 PM by KC » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 04:44:36 PM »

I didn't know it was based on another movie until the end credits. I'd definitely check out the original.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 03:17:08 AM »

Can you ever forgive me

Totally enjoyed this move along with the fantastic performances by Melissa McCarthy and Richard E Grant..

Based on a true story.. A bittersweet, comedic drama..  5/5

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 12:48:49 PM »

This one was great. Really liked its dark humour most of all. Got to search for the original.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 06:51:03 PM »

2019 is starting out as a good year for movies. I saw Cold Pursuit last Monday and went to Happy Death Day 2U today. I thought the first Happy Death Day was great but wasn't really sure where they could go with it for a sequel. It was great fun. Hilarious too. The star Jessica Rothe is impressive, being able to do the more dramatic stuff along with the comedic in the same film.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 11:00:47 PM »

One of my childhood favorites.  This is a good movie, very fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »

I want to get to Shazam soon. It looks fun.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2019, 11:50:11 PM »

I don’t know the actor playing Shazam but when I see the posters, I keep seeing Greg Brady!! :D

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T