News: See Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, in theaters December 13!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2019 Movie Discussion  (Read 3221 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2019, 12:31:00 AM »

I've seen Joker twice now and I really like it. It's a fantastic performance from Phoenix and a great movie. Not Taxi Driver-level great but way up there. One thing that's cool about the movie is that even if Batman and Joker had never existed, this movie could still have been made exactly as it is. All the rest of what I love about the movie I can't really discuss because it'd spoil too much, but I can say it's a movie that stays with you. Also, for the record, I still very much prefer Heath Ledger's Joker and The Dark Knight overall, but that was to be expected.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2019, 10:37:20 PM »

This was OK. A little longer than it needed to be but a great soundtrack of Bruce Springsteen songs. Although it took nearly half an hour before we heard them. Inspired by a true story of a young Pakistani guy in Luton in the mid 1980's who feels like his life is going nowhere in a dead end town.

Not a memorable film but a good film for a rainy day.

3/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2019, 12:55:57 AM »

Mid Sommar

Weird, strange, unsettling... I really enjoyed it, Echo's of The Wicker Man (original)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2019, 12:59:34 AM »

BlackkKlansman directed by Spike Lee

I was really looking forward to this one but strangely didn't connect with it at all.. It felt like
It had an almost comic tone at times that I didn't find funny.. The baddies were almost comic book (reminded me of the
gang in Pink Cadillac ) The closing real footage jarred because it was so shocking, to me that's what the whole film should have felt like...

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2019, 04:37:54 PM »

I'm contemplating if I want to see Doctor Sleep even though I haven't read the book yet. The book came out six years ago, so obviously I could have read it by now if I'd really wanted to (it is one I've been interested in reading). Anyone watch it yet?
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2019, 11:43:45 PM »

Anyone here seen The Irishman ?

Any thoughts.... ?

Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2019, 12:07:07 AM »

I really enjoyed it. Saw it in the cinema though and it was loooooonnng!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2019, 01:06:46 AM »

I'm only an hour in (netflix) so can't comment properly but I have to say the digital de-ageing process is really bugging me..

I know a lot of people think it works well but to me it's very distracting. There's a disparity between the young heads and obviously much older bodies. The scene outside the grocery was particularly poor..

DeNiro looks like someone in a rubber DeNiro mask doing and over the top impression of the great man.

I'll stick with it tho and maybe it'll become less of a distraction as the film progresses..

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: Today at 04:17:47 PM »

I didn't make it to the theater at all during November, but did go and see two movies last week: Frozen II and Knives Out (that'd be quite a double feature! :o). Frozen II is a solid sequel and Knives Out is one of my favorites from this year.

This week we get Richard Jewell (of course), Jumanji: The Next Level, and Black Christmas (the second remake :D). I'll probably go see all three in the next few weeks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T