News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 91st Academy Awards Thread  (Read 625 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« on: February 10, 2019, 02:34:36 PM »

The academy awards are in two weeks.

Here's the topic to post predictions and thoughts.

I've only seen three of the best picture nominees (Green Book, A Star Is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody with Green Book being the best of those.

I'm sure Holden Pike has seen all the films. Hopefully he'll stop by and give us a run down on his thoughts. :)

Oscar Nominees

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:26:37 PM »

Of the best picture nominees I've only seen Black Panther and BlackkKlansmen. I like both. But I'm more interested in the best animated feature film. I've seen all of those except for Mirai. I could see either Incredibles 2 or Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse taking that one.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »

Of the Best Picture nominees, I've seen "Black Panther", "Black KKKlansman", "Green Book", "Vice", and "A Star Is Born." Of these, I thought that "A Star Is Born" was the most fully realized movie, especially given that it was directed by Bradley Cooper, who was a first-time director. However, since it was a remake of an older film that had been remade many times before, I wouldn't vote for it for Best Picture, because I think it winning would set a bad precedent. Of the remaining films, I really didn't like "Black Panther" or "Vice". I thought "Green Book" was the second best, so I'd likely vote for that for Best Picture.

In terms of the acting nominees, I've seen 3 of the Best Actor nominees and 3 of the Best Actress nominees. The best of the actress nominees was far and away Glenn Close for "The Wife", and I think she's likely going to win at the Oscars, as I believe she's been nominated 6 times before and never won.

Of the 3 Best Actor nominees, Christian Bale's was the most transformative, so even though I didn't like "Vice," I think I might vote for him. In terms of the supporting actor nominees, I've seen all of them, but don't really have a favorite. In terms of the supporting actress nominees, I've only seen Amy Adams performance in "Vice." I'd love for Amy Adams to win an Oscar, but her performance wasn't really anything spectacular. She's given much better performances in much better films.

Holden, over to you! Hope he posts! I'd also love to hear what he thought of "The Mule".  :coolsmiley:
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:06:48 PM »

Of the Best Picture nominees, I've only seen Roma. I really liked it, but I don't suppose it has much of a chance. Has a foreign-language film ever won Best Picture? Besides, this one is distributed by Netflix (a strike against it in purists' eyes) and has had a rather limited release in theaters (where I saw it, and where I think it probably is seen to its best advantage). But I heard it just won the BAFTA for Best Film (and Cuarn got the award for Best Director, as well), so ... who knows.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 06:15:25 AM »

But I'm more interested in the best animated feature film. I've seen all of those except for Mirai. I could see either Incredibles 2 or Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse taking that one.

I'm rooting for Isle of Dogs. I took my five year old daughter to Ralph Breaks the Internet, which she liked, The Incredibles 2, which she hasn't mentioned since, and Isle of Dogs, and she's obsessed with the movie. She's seen it five times or more, and in fact on Sunday we watched it again at her request. So she's rooting for Isle of Dogs too.

What's supposed to win Best Picture? Green Book? I haven't seen it but a friend at work really liked it, and he usually likes action movies.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 07:59:34 AM »

I don't think there's an odds-on favorite (no pun intended) for Best Picture. The other major awards have been sort of all over the place.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »

I think for Best Picture, it's probably between "Roma" and "Green Book," but KC is right that the precursor awards have been all over the place. Alfonso Cuaron won the Director's Guild Award, so he's likely going to win the Best Director award, as that's a pretty strong precursor for the Oscar.

It looks like Rami Malek is going to win Best Actor, since he's won many of the precursor awards. I haven't seen "Bohemian Rhapsody," so I can't comment on if that's deserved or not.

"Green Book" won the Producer's Guild Award, so that may be a slight favorite, but "Roma" is right on its heels. I think since "Roma" is a Netflix movie, and some of the Academy membership don't think Netflix is on par with theatrical viewing, I'd be surprised to see it win. But, I think it's seen as more of an artistic achievement than "Green Book", and "Green Book" is getting criticized for being a "white savior" movie, so depending on how widespread that overblown concern is, that controversy may prevent it from winning. To me, "Green Book" is about friendship and racial reconciliation, but what do I know? Since Best Picture is awarded by a preferential ballot system, any controversy at all can prevent a win. 

Remember, the Oscars, especially recently, isn't really about what is the best film. It's also about politics, and which social/values statement the Academy wants to send with its vote. That's arguably why "Black Panther" was nominated at all, and why "Green Book" could be defeated, even though, in most other years, it would be the consensus choice.   
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 02:33:34 AM »

It looks like Rami Malek is going to win Best Actor, since he's won many of the precursor awards. I haven't seen "Bohemian Rhapsody," so I can't comment on if that's deserved or not.

This is the only nominated performance I've seen, so it wouldn't make sense for me to post about how he deserves to win -- however, it was an awesome performance, and he really "became" Freddie Mercury.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 12:51:36 AM »

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 01:41:28 PM »

I didn't watch any of the show, but was happy that Spider-Man won best animated film. I had to look up who won best picture this afternoon when I realized I hadn't heard who'd won!
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 09:13:47 PM »

I actually watched! My best friend and I texted each other throughout. We thought it would be fun to watch it together. I usually don't watch the Oscars, unless Clint is nominated, but I thought the show was so much better without a host! I hope they continue that in future years, but they probably won't. All the stupid jokes that aren't funny, and the random skits, which also aren't funny, were gone this year, and I thought that improved things!

My best friend and I both felt sorry for Glenn Close (I don't know what that woman has to do to win an Oscar. She's definitely a much better actress than a lot of other actresses who have won!). We were also happy that "Green Book" won Best Picture, and not "Black Panther!"
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 10:09:09 PM »

AKA, did you catch the brief glimpse of Clint in the opening montage?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 03:05:47 PM »

AKA, did you catch the brief glimpse of Clint in the opening montage?

Yes! I was surprised to see him, since "The Mule" got no love from the Academy.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 10:45:36 PM »

That montage seemed almost designed as a sort of "The Year in Also-Rans" featurette. ;D
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 05:54:33 PM »

I used to think the idea of watching the Academy Awards ceremony was a good idea.  Like Saturday Night Live, the program wore out its welcome and relevance decades ago.  It should be severely reduced in time, down to 90 minutes if not an hour.  Although the recipients are worthy of their awards, Im sure, there are way too many categories to justify an overblown, long and drawn out annual event.  Sitting through this show is as boring as viewing Star Trek: The Motion Picture and 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

I recorded the 2019 Oscars so I could skim through the boredom and decided to make note of all the fat I would trim.  As for the categories, I would eliminate 14 and keep 10.  For me, the ones Id cast out have little to no interest or relevance to showcase on a live, televised event.  The keepers are the most interesting that are the ones most people talk about year round. 

As for the other awards for the remaining categories presented at a previous date, well, eliminate mentioning them, too!  I see no justification in wasting air time on those.

Even with the presentations and performances, I believe it could still come in at 60-90 minutes and prove to be entertaining. 

What follows is the 2019 Oscars as televised in chronological order by event.  Y signifies my considering it relevant enough to keep, X signifies my desire to eliminate it.  I kept all of the performances and presentations.

2019 Oscars

Y Best Original Song nominee - performance (Show opener)
Y Welcome
Y Outstanding Supporting Actress
X Best Documentary Feature
Y Best Picture Nominee - presentation
X Achievement In Makeup & Hairstyling
X Achievement In Costume Design
X Achievement In Production Design
X Achievement In Cinematography
Y Best Song nominee - performance
Y Best Picture Nominee - presentation
X Achievement In Sound Editing
X Achievement In Sound Mixing