News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Colt 45 Snake Grip gun used in FFOD and FAFDM  (Read 660 times)
[email protected]

View Profile Email
« on: February 27, 2019, 03:25:24 PM »

Well, in my search to buy the exact handgun Clint used in these 2 films, I've learned a lot. The Snake grip 45 was no 45 at all, but rather a 45 frame chambered in 357. The blanks fired from Clints gun in these 2 movies were 38 caliber blanks. I am getting ready to buy the gun from Uberti or Cimmaron and had my mind set on 45 LC caliber like the one he used and stated it was in the movie. Now that I know it was actually a 357 caliber and clints ownpersonal gun, I'm torn about what caliber to buy the gun in. True to the movie and I'd buy a 45. True to what caliber, he actually used and I'll have to buy the 357.

How did I find this out, you ask? Well Clint allowed his gun to be displayed at the Autry Museum back in 2005, along with the same poncho, bullet holes and all. Read the display sign about the gun and there you have it...Case settled!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:26:39 PM by [email protected] » Logged
[email protected]

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 03:28:50 PM »

Cant figure out how to add the pictures...Anybody know?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:36:01 PM »

Hi, GearDog, and welcome to the Eastwood Web Board.

There is a thread on how to post images here: http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=2338.0

However, it goes all the way back to 2004 and things on the Internet have changed quite a bit since then. There are some later posts in the thread that should help, but meanwhile I'll give you the gist:

1) Your image needs to be on the Internet already; you can't upload an image here from your own computer.

2) Most images that you find on the Internet can be posted here. Just right click on the image and from the menu that pops up, copy the URL or "image location" for the image, and paste it here between these tags, but without the spaces after the "[": [ img] [ /img].

So  [ img]http://users.erols.com/kcoblenz/Snake1.JPG[ /img] without the spaces becomes

(That is a screencap from Rawhide. I believe the "Dollars" gun was first used by Clint on that series. It's certainly the same rattlesnake on the grips.)

There are some images that can't be "hot linked" like that, but they are the minority.

3) If you have a picture of your own you want to post, it will have to be hosted on a site that allows uploads from your computer. These days, I think most of us use imgur.com. It's free and really easy to use. Plus, it gives you a link you can copy that's already coded to be posted here, no extra tags needed. Matt posted some instructions for Imgur towards the end of the image thread, starting here:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=2338.msg222004#msg222004

Thanks for the information on the specifics of Clint's first "Dollars" gun. I hope you have a picture of the Autry Museum display and will be able to post it here.  8)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:45:20 PM »

You might also be interested to know that we have a thread for Clint's guns in general, here: http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=4347.0

Unfortunately, especially at the beginning most of the pictures are no longer showing. That includes the post about the "Dollars" gun.

But there is also a lot of information in a post by David Maccar on the Range365 site, here: https://www.range365.com/guns-clint-eastwood-movies-1964-1970

Also, there is the Internet Movie Firearms Database, probably the most comprehensive source for movie guns information in general. Here's the beginning of what it says about the gun in A Fistful of Dollars:

Revolvers
Single Action Army

Joe (Clint Eastwood), aka "The Man With No Name" uses a Single Action Army 5 1/2" Artillery with a color case hardened frame as his weapon of choice in the film. The infamous "Silver Rattlesnake Grips" were first seen in Rawhide, the 1959 television series he starred in, in which an outlaw used the same SAA and his character, Rowdy Yates, killed him and took the gun for himself. Multiple other characters are also seen using SAAs.

Uberti Replica of Colt Single Action Army 5 1/2" Artillery with rattlesnake grips carried by "The Man with No Name".

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/A_Fistful_of_Dollars#Single_Action_Army

None of these sources, however, says anything about the actual caliber of Clint's specific gun, as opposed to the historic gun it was supposed to be. So again, thanks for that information.
[email protected]

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 08:07:40 AM »

Thank you. I have the photo of his gun in the museum that I saved from Facebook.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 08:27:29 AM »

If you still have trouble posting it, let me know and I'll try to help out! :)
[email protected]

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 05:21:10 AM »

I'm sorry, but if you could help me I would appreciate it. I can fed you the picture to email if you would like.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 11:19:35 PM »

I'm posting the following images on GearDog's behalf:

First, the display window with Clint's poncho, the "Dollars" gun and the original snake grip, at the Autry Museum of the American West in Los Angeles. The picture is from 2005. GearDog told me that Clint had only lent the items to the museum for display that year.

Next, here's an enlargement of the explanatory sign with the items:

I note that the "Courtesy of" line for the poncho does indeed say "Courtesy of Clint Eastwood." However, the "Courtesy of" line for the gun says "Courtesy of Giovanni Corridori." Corridori, as I've just found out, was the man in charge of special effects on all three "Dollars" films: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Corridori

So while it's true that this gun was used by Clint in A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More, as the sign says, it is presumably one of several that he used, and remained with the special effects man rather than going home with Clint.

Since the sign is cut off at the bottom, I can't see the "Courtesy of" line for the original rattlesnake grip, but presumably that is from Clint's collection, and was originally on the gun he used in Rawhide.

Thanks, GearDog, this is fascinating stuff!  8)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:31:33 PM by KC » Logged
[email protected]

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 06:35:18 AM »

Thank you for all ththe help.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T