News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Movie Novelizations  (Read 1694 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: July 27, 2019, 06:29:12 AM »

A while back I found a copy of the Heartbreak Ridge novelization at a used book sale. I just did some searching on here to see if I'd already mentioned it or if there were other threads about books based on movies--I did find some threads about the Dollars novels and Dirty Harry books, but not a general thread for all of them. I haven't read Heartbreak Ridge yet. Honestly I've always been a little skeptical about books based on movie screen plays, but I think they could be fun. And I'll have to check those other threads to see if this was ever done, but I do think it's cool when people use those characters and write original novels.

Anybody have a collection of them? Any of them particularly good?

And of course I'm thinking specifically about movie novelizations as I start this topic, but I don't see a reason why novels that were adapted into screen plays couldn't also be discussed. I remember the novels Blood Work and Mystic River were discussed at length when those movies came out (I've only read River), and there have been many Eastwood movies based on books.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 08:12:37 AM »

And I'll have to check those other threads to see if this was ever done, but I do think it's cool when people use those characters and write original novels.
Since posting this morning I remembered that there was a series of original Dirty Harry novels published (in fact, I think Americanbeauty has a set of them, or at least quite a few), and when I looked at a thread here I saw I actually made that realization in 2003!

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=1433.msg21074#msg21074

From the above thread:
I did a search on Ebay here, and I see that there are a lot of Dirty Harry novelizations out there (not to mention Harry, the Dirty Dog :D). Looks to be a series of books that have been written.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 08:35:28 AM »

Christopher, what a good idea for a topic. I have a lot of both novelizations of screenplays, and the novels that Clint's screenplays were adapted from, particularly if I could get "tie-in" versions of those. (A shot from the movie on the cover, and a blurb like "Now a Major Motion Picture").

They seem to have stopped publishing novelizations. I think the latest one I have is for A Perfect World. Anyone have anything later than that? Aside from tie-ins of existing books?

Truth to tell, I haven't read many of the novelizations. Of the existing books, about the best I recall reading is Honkytonk Man, by Clancy Carlile, who also wrote the screenplay for the movie.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 09:27:06 AM »

I'd forgotten Honkytonk Man was based on a novel. That and The Beguiled are two I'd really like to read. And since they released the new movie version of The Beguiled a few years ago, it's a lot easier to find paperbacks for it (which I'd just get from a library instead of buying it).

Oh, and I have read the original Josey Wales novel too. I think I posted about it afterwards.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 09:28:52 AM by Christopher » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 05:47:08 PM »

Hey Christopher. This is a cool topic. Thanks for starting it. I must confess, I've never really understood the appeal of novelizations that are adapted from movies. A book to movie adaptation makes sense. It's a totally different medium, and a movie can tell a similar story that is either based on, or inspired by, the book, in a much shorter timeframe. However, the reverse is true for movie to book adaptations. The original story is in fact a movie, or screenplay, and the original source material is expanded upon in book form, and I assume, may often even include plots that I assume weren't in the original movie. What is the appeal of this? For those that do like to read novelizations of movies, why do you like doing that? What is gained for you in the transfer?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 09:22:02 AM »

In some cases, the novelizations are based on scripts prepared prior to shooting. So they can sometimes provide indirect evidence (along with on-set stills and the like) of things that were changed during filming.

Aside from that, they are movie memorabilia in themselves, with covers using the film's publicity art and/or stills, and people collect them for the same reasons they collect stills, posters, lobby cards, etc. Except for posters, I suspect most of these are not being produced for new releases the way they used to be.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 02:00:35 PM »

Hey KC. Thanks for your thoughts on this. To clarify, I do understand the appeal of collecting these types of novelizations. It's kind of a novelty item, and as an Eastwood fan, sometimes those are cool to have. I just don't get the appeal of reading them.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 06:11:25 AM »

I mentioned in my first post that I've always been a bit skeptical of them in the past, but I do want to get around to reading Heartbreak Ridge sometime. I think I bought it from a library used book sale so I probably only paid a quarter for it. It's in pretty good shape too. No creases on the binding or anything like that.

If anything has softened me to the idea of movie novelizations, it might be because I've read a few of the Monk novels. They're original novels so it's not adapted episodes of the TV show.

I remember Matt used to give away books sometimes for contests we'd have on the board. Does he still have some? (Calling Matt... ;) :D ;D)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 05:05:35 PM »

I've got a few Eastwood movie books. (tie-ins, novelizations) They're boxed up in the attic. I came across them in last weeks clean up. I remember years ago I had a lot of books based on movies or tie ins from films I enjoyed. I culled them but kept the Eastwood ones.

I've got a feeling Heartbreak Ridge and Honkytonk Man are among them.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 10:22:29 PM »

I remember Matt used to give away books sometimes for contests we'd have on the board. Does he still have some? (Calling Matt... ;) :D ;D)

There's still a few left including his-and-hers copies of The Rookie for romantic late-night reading with your honey. And who wouldn't want to dive right into the novelization of that 1980's classic Pink Cadillac? Is there anything here in particular you'd enjoy, Christopher?

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 05:13:24 AM »

I'm impressed to see all the doubles... and triples in some cases! Have you read any? And my copy of Heartbreak Ridge has that same cover.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 11:17:26 AM »

I haven't read any.  :-[
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 06:29:18 PM »

Nice to see you on the board, Matt. I have "High Plains Drifter." I think Matt sent that to me, and since it's one of my favorite Eastwood movies, and this thread has reminded me that I have one of these novelizations, I may actually read it now!
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »

Matt's post and photo inspired me to climb up to the attic and take a pic of my collection. Sorry it's a little blurry.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 07:15:20 PM »

A Rawhide book... that's interesting! I found the sequel to The Eiger Sanction out once and got it, but I don't remember if I still have it.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 07:17:46 PM »

A Rawhide book... that's interesting!

I knew someone would ask about it, so I searched and found this topic about it. I actually started the thread. :)

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=9108.msg200502#top

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 07:21:09 PM »

As I started reading that thread, I wondered if there was just the one book written instead of a series... and then I got to the place in the thread where I asked that in 2013! ;D :D
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 07:26:35 PM »

As I started reading that thread, I wondered if there was just the one book written instead of a series... and then I got to the place in the thread where I asked that in 2013! ;D :D

;D ;D

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 09:11:07 PM »

I just went through and tallied my collection ... I have around 50, though that's counting several duplicates. That is, some of them I have with variant cover art, and some are true dupes. It includes movie tie-ins for existing books as well as novelizations.

Besides those, I also have eight of the twelve-book series of "Dirty Harry" pulp spinoffs by one Dane Hartman, as mentioned in the "Dirty Harry book?" thread linked to a few posts above ... "Dane Hartman" is probably a pseudonym, as you can read here: https://www.slantmagazine.com/books/dirty-harrys-pulp-power/

I'll try to post some pictures, but I should probably wait for the weekend, when I get better light in here.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 08:37:59 AM »

I read White Hunter many years ago and enjoyed it. Also True Crime which was ok..

and of course Firefox which was very similar to the movie...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T