News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Physical movie media gone forever?  (Read 320 times)
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: August 05, 2019, 01:36:09 PM »

I love collecting DVDs and blurays. But I've heard mixed opinions about physical movie media becoming completely obsolete. For me this is hard to believe due to several advantages over digital movies. With physical copies you actually own the movie. Watch it anytime and carry it wherever you go. Plus a lot of them have cool extra bonus features.  And the picture quality is better too. I own all of Eastwoods DVD movies he's starred in. And I enjoy watching the extra behind the scene features of his movies. Plus I enjoy looking at the artwork on the front cover of DVD and blurays as well. Now I have no problem with digital movies. It defenately has its place in the movie market. Don't have to store so many movies. I get that. Not everyone likes to have a ton of DVD and blurays everywhere. But there are a ton of DVD and bluray collectors out there like myself who enjoy having physical copies on shelves. Cause like I mentioned you own it and watch it anytime. Extra bonus features, picture quality is better. Artwork on front cover is cool etc. With digital like Netflix they don't have every single movie. I enjoy several b movies cult classics. Plus the ones they do have are only there temporarily never know when there taken away. And you don't know if signal will be lost. And not everyone has internet service. Again, I see digital has its place. As I enjoy watching various TV shows on Netflix that I wouldn't want to buy. But there are several collectors out there who love there collections and all the cool stuff that comes with certain DVD and bluray releases. I don't see why they can't always have both options digital and physical copies offered to customers.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »

I don't think the physical media will completely go away. It's like how now when I go into a store I can find records and record players. I wouldn't be surprised if things like VHS make some sort of comeback. DVDs will sometimes even be packaged like an old VHS case. I guess you could say that's nostalgia.
PeterD

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 03:21:28 AM »

Can totally relate to enjoying the physical copies of the movies, I have a fair number of dvds and enjoy them for the reasons already outlined.

The issue apparently is that dvd's tend to deteriorate over time, picture quality can fade (admittedly over a number of years) so digital preserves the movies.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/tech/2016/05/20/ken-colburn-do-cds-and-dvds-wear-out/84634710/  deals with discs burned by the consumer but also mentions commercially bought discs.
Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 11:17:26 AM »

I have my favourites stored on a hard drive which is then backed up on another.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T