News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mule Movie Night, Thursday August 29  (Read 1452 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #260 on: August 29, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »

Clint was golfing with the guy who wrote the song. The guy asked him what he was up to. Clint said he was going off to shoot a new movie (this one). He asked him how he keeps going at his age. Clint said, I just don't let the old man in. The guy went home, and that got his creative juices flowing. He then wrote the song, then sent it to Clint, since he was the inspiration for it, and Clint decided to put it in the movie.

Oh wow, that's cool.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #261 on: August 29, 2019, 07:48:38 PM »

Anyone know where Clint found this song? I'm assuming it wasn't written for the film.

But it was, as AKA just explained. Such an Eastwoodian touch.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #262 on: August 29, 2019, 07:50:08 PM »

So, we don't have a page yet for The Mule on ClintEastwood.net.  AKA, you up for writing another? I think that bit of trivia you just tossed off the top of your head needs to be in the trivia section when you write it up.   ;)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #263 on: August 29, 2019, 07:53:07 PM »

Well, that was a pleasure. Like a lot of Clint's movies, it definitely improves on a second viewing.

It's definitely an entertaining movie, and Clint still has charm and charisma as a leading man even at his advanced age. But, I feel like it could have been a much better movie if it included a couple of scenes of Earl wrestling with the consequences of what he was doing. It seems grossly unrealistic that he wouldn't have thought about it, and that it wouldn't have been weighing on him, and it was an opportunity to present the consequences of these drugs on society. I think that's a huge missed opportunity.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #264 on: August 29, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »

I do think, however, that the fact that the drugs were cocaine, not heroin or other opiates, mitigates that somewhat. You don't think of the typical cocaine user as a victim of the drug (mostly opiate) epidemic.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2019, 07:55:45 PM »

I really like it. I think a lot of the charm comes just from seeing it on the "other side of the hill" because it really makes you think about what's important in life.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #266 on: August 29, 2019, 07:56:42 PM »

Yeah, I'll have to watch it again in 20 years when I'm your age and report back to you, Matt!  ;D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2019, 07:57:03 PM »

Yeah, I'll have to watch it in 20 years when I'm your age and report back to you, Matt!  ;D

You'll like it better then.  ;D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2019, 07:57:58 PM »

Matt, here is the full story of how Toby Keith came to write "Don't let the old man in" for Clint:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8490429/toby-keith-clint-eastwood-inspired-dont-let-the-old-man-in-the-mule-interview

EDIT: Here's a quote:

In what turned out to be another stroke of serendipity, Keith was under the weather the day he cut his demo. I was sick as a dog that day. I was coughing and sneezing and thinking, this is terrible, he recounts. I gave it the best vocal I could that day, and I sent it off. Its a real raspy, sleepy, tired, sick vocal. I said, Well now youve got a reference, and Ill go back and put a vocal on it for you.

To his surprise, Eastwood called immediately. He said, Ive got a spot in the movie and Im putting it in there. And then Warner Bros. called asking did I read the script before I wrote this song because it fits perfectly.

To his greater surprise, Eastwood didnt want to change a thing. He wanted it sick and tired and dark like that, Keith says.   
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:59:35 PM by KC » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2019, 07:59:25 PM »

My Mom loved it, and she's around 60. She called after she saw it and said she thought it was such a great movie, and that she resonated with it. My Dad was a bit of a workaholic and wasn't always emotionally present for us. He never did anything like Earl though. He was always there for the important events.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2019, 08:01:11 PM »

Anyway, thanks to you both for doing this with me! It was almost like old times.

Maybe we could schedule a repeat performance at a time that would work for SK, Satu,  or anyone else who might like to join in?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2019, 08:01:52 PM »

Matt, here is the full story of how Toby Keith came to write "Don't let the old man in" for Clint:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8490429/toby-keith-clint-eastwood-inspired-dont-let-the-old-man-in-the-mule-interview

EDIT: Here's a quote:

Even more cool. Love to read stories like this about behind-the-scenes stuff in Clint's movies.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2019, 08:02:43 PM »

Thanks Matt and KC. It was definitely fun. Good night!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2019, 08:08:04 PM »

Even more cool. Love to read stories like this about behind-the-scenes stuff in Clint's movies.

Here's another one, about the main composer, Arturo Sandoval:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-arturo-sandoval-mule-movie-20181220-story.html

I found it interesting that the entire score (I guess, not including the songs heard on the car radio) is less than 20 minutes. It's so typical of Clint to use music sparsely and let it accent the story, not narrate it. The score of Unforgiven was even shorter than that (and no car radios around).
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2019, 08:22:23 PM »

Sounds like you guys had fun. Just reading through the thread on my lunch break at work and picturing the scenes as you discussed them.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2019, 08:33:15 PM »

I recommend the little "Making of" featurette on the DVD/BluRay. One interesting tidbit: A lot of Earl's clothes were from earlier Eastwood movies. The suit he was wearing at the end was from In the Line of Fire!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2019, 10:55:19 PM »

Anyway, thanks to you both for doing this with me! It was almost like old times.

Maybe we could schedule a repeat performance at a time that would work for SK, Satu,  or anyone else who might like to join in?

I enjoyed it too. If anyone wants to put together another Movie Night that works with their schedule, sure I'd join again.

Thanks for the fun time, and AKA for getting it to happen.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T