News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SUDDEN IMPACT at New York's Film at Lincoln Center, August 25 and 27  (Read 214 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 22, 2019, 07:17:19 PM »

It's part of a series "Make My Day: American Movies in the Age of Reagan." There's a tie-in with film critic J. Hoberman's new book, Make My Day: Movie Culture in the Age of Reagan. He'll be speaking about the book and the film series on August 28.

Here's FilmLinc's blurb for the film:

“San Francisco police detective Harry Callahan was Clint Eastwood’s most enduring character—the personification of political reaction, the antidote to the permissive Sixties and Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society,” writes Hoberman. “Harry—like Reagan—was a walking contradiction, the authoritarian who hates authority.” Returning from a hiatus during the Carter administration, Eastwood’s Dirty Harry was back for Reagan’s first term to track a serial killer—who is avenging her own rape—only to unwittingly become romantically involved with her. Sudden Impact notably marked the first onscreen instance of Dirty Harry’s (and Eastwood’s) signature catchphrase, which Reagan would himself later quote: “Go ahead, make my day.”

https://www.filmlinc.org/films/sudden-impact/

The screenings are at 4 PM on both August 25 and 27. Unfortunately I won't be able to make either. Lately, they seem to deliberately schedule Clint films in New York at times when I can't go.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 06:10:45 AM »

That's too bad you can't make it, KC. 4:00 can be a tough time for events. Hoberman's talk sounds like it'll be interesting.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 12:11:21 PM »

J. Hoberman is great. The movie wasn't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T