News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your all time favorite tv show?  (Read 1352 times)
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:47:59 PM »

What is your number one favorite tv show?  Can be from any decade.  I love a lot of tv shows especially from the 80s. But my favorite tv show is:  Threes Company. Absolutely love this show. Very funny. So what is your favorite tv show? 
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 09:36:51 PM »

Well, the one I watch the most is definitely ...

Yankee Baseball on the YES Network! :D

Not sure what I would answer other than that, however. I've never been much of a TV watcher. A nice topic, though! :)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 10:15:26 PM »

Seinfeld. 

If we could do a two genre answer:  Comedy is Seinfeld and drama is The West Wing.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:02:49 PM »

As a kid it was always M*A*S*H but then Seinfeld came along and that is my all time favorite show.

I hardly watch much TV now and from what I see advertised (The Bachelor, Housewives of such and such, Survivor etc) I don't think I'm missing anything.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 09:24:12 AM »

That's a tough one to try to choose just one favorite. I was thinking if I could do it by decades, and that's not even terribly easy.

1950s: Alfred Hitchcock Presents (though it did run into the '60s)
1960s: Get Smart, The Andy Griffith Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Twilight Zone (started at the end of the '50s)
1970s: The Bob Newhart Show, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? (started 1969 and they're still doing movies), Columbo
1980s: Newhart, The Cosby Show, Inspector Gadget, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I was born in the '80s after all ;))
1990s: Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond
2000s: Jackie Chan Adventures, The Office (though I've only seen the first few seasons so far), Psych, Monk
2010s: The Middle, Stranger Things

I'm certain there will be other series that will come to mind after I've posted this.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:44:55 AM by Christopher » Logged
PeterD

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 01:54:20 PM »

I do like my tv shows and these days there is a load of quality out there.

Probably Mad Men is my favourite as it just had a feel to it that I liked.

Other shows that I really enjoyed: Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Wire, Banshee, Justified, City on a hill, The Sopranos, Westworld, Boss, The Office, Married with Children, Modern Family, Deadwood, Ray Donovan, Boardwalk Empire.......

Would have missed some....maybe I am just easily pleased.   :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 02:07:22 PM »

I do like my tv shows and these days there is a load of quality out there.

Probably Mad Men is my favourite as it just had a feel to it that I liked.

Other shows that I really enjoyed: Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Wire, Banshee, Justified, City on a hill, The Sopranos, Westworld, Boss, The Office, Married with Children, Modern Family, Deadwood, Ray Donovan, Boardwalk Empire.......

Would have missed some....maybe I am just easily pleased.   :)

Oh man, you mentioned some I had forgotten about.  Mad Men, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are all fantastic. I also really liked DexterThe Office is my favorite comedy since Seinfeld.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 02:14:13 PM »

This is a great idea for a thread!

60's: "Get Smart," "Dragnet"
70's: "Columbo," "The Rockford Files," "The Bob Newhart Show"
80's: "Cheers," "Matlock," "The Cosby Show" (though for obvious reasons, I can't watch it anymore).
90's:  "Boy Meets World," "The West Wing," "Law & Order," "Frasier," "Everybody Loves Raymond," "The King of Queens."
200's: "Damages," "Breaking Bad" "House MD," "24," "The Closer"
2010 to the present: "Homeland," "Bloodline," "Ozark"   

If I had to pick just one show, it would be "The West Wing."

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:42:49 PM by AKA23 » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 04:41:29 PM »

Christopher, I see that we have some TV shows in common. That's cool.

For someone who was a fan of "The Bob Newhart show," but has never seen "Newhart," how does it compare? The only thing that I know about it is the basic theme of the show and the mind blowing tie in for the "Newhart" series finale.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 02:36:24 AM »

My favorite sitcom is Seinfeld and my favorite drama is Breaking Bad. Better Call Saul is great in its own way as well. I was a huge MASH fan in my youth and still like the show, and respect what it did as a sitcom. As a pre-teen/teenager my favorite shows were Remington Steele and Moonlighting, though having watched Moonlighting as an adult, I find it very uneven, and even a little annoying at times. Although I haven't watched them in a while, I loved The Honeymooners and The Dick Van Dyke show, and of course Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »

Christopher, I see that we have some TV shows in common. That's cool.

For someone who was a fan of "The Bob Newhart show," but has never seen "Newhart," how does it compare? The only thing that I know about it is the basic theme of the show and the mind blowing tie in for the "Newhart" series finale.
I like The Bob Newhart Show better, but, just as an example of differences of opinion, my parents prefer Newhart. Newhart lasted two years longer than The Bob Newhart Show, but I also think it progressively gets a bit more silly as it went along, so I prefer the older show. Both are a lot of fun though. And one of the things that works for both shows is that Bob is surrounded by a bunch of colorful crazy characters and we see him respond to them.

A few months ago I watched his early '90s series just called Bob (what else, right? ;D). It only lasted into part of its second season (just 30-something episodes total), and I found it to be fun in some ways but not as good as the two previous shows. And I remember watching his series George and Leo that he starred in with Judd Hirsch back when it originally aired, which also only lasted about a season. Have you seen either of those, AKA?

Oh, and I considered putting Matlock for one of my favorite '80s/90s shows too. :D
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 11:30:22 PM »

As a child then definitely Lost in Space, then a little later Star Trek

Twilight Zone. I still watch these
The Prisoner
Johnny Staccato
Columbo
The Sweeney
Rich Man, Poor Man. This was a mini series so not sure it counts

In more recent times
Northern Exposure
Seinfeld
Larry Sanders Show

I'm really enjoying Mindhunter right now and Ricky Gervais most recent show Afterlife was amazing

If I had to pick just one I reckon I'd go Twilight Zone with The Prisoner a close second ..

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:37:18 PM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 03:09:26 AM »

Am I to take it you Americans are watching the US (inferior) version of The Office 😉

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 05:48:10 AM »

I like The Bob Newhart Show better, but, just as an example of differences of opinion, my parents prefer Newhart. Newhart lasted two years longer than The Bob Newhart Show, but I also think it progressively gets a bit more silly as it went along, so I prefer the older show. Both are a lot of fun though. And one of the things that works for both shows is that Bob is surrounded by a bunch of colorful crazy characters and we see him respond to them.

A few months ago I watched his early '90s series just called Bob (what else, right? ;D). It only lasted into part of its second season (just 30-something episodes total), and I found it to be fun in some ways but not as good as the two previous shows. And I remember watching his series George and Leo that he starred in with Judd Hirsch back when it originally aired, which also only lasted about a season. Have you seen either of those, AKA?

Wow. I had no idea that you were such a big Bob Newhart fan! No, I've only seen "The Bob Newhart Show," and his guest starring appearances on "The Big Bang Theory." Does he still do the one sided phone routine that he's famous for on "Newhart?"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 08:04:46 AM »

Am I to take it you Americans are watching the US (inferior) version of The Office 😉

Yes! I've tried the UK version and couldn't get into it.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 09:59:50 AM »

I've never seen the original version, but I think Netflix has it, or at least used to have it. The US version is well written and very well cast. I know soooo many shows here are remakes of shows from England. Wasn't pretty much every show Norman Lear ever did originally British? :D ;D

Wow. I had no idea that you were such a big Bob Newhart fan! No, I've only seen "The Bob Newhart Show," and his guest starring appearances on "The Big Bang Theory." Does he still do the one sided phone routine that he's famous for on "Newhart?"
Yeah, he's one of my favorites. I actually haven't seen much of The Big Bang Theory. I've only seen some clips of Newhart's scenes on that. I remember when I was a teen and The Bob Newhart Show was on [email protected] I used to sit up to about 2:00 am to watch it during the summer.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 07:54:40 PM »

Yes! I've tried the UK version and couldn't get into it.

I watched this for the first time a couple of months ago and was astounded how unfunny it was. In the 12 episodes I never laughed once. A couple of amusing moments but Iíve read reviews claiming itís one of the funniest series ever!!

Iíve never seen the US version.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 08:47:44 PM »

I watched this for the first time a couple of months ago and was astounded how unfunny it was. In the 12 episodes I never laughed once. A couple of amusing moments but Iíve read reviews claiming itís one of the funniest series ever!!

Same here. I gave up after about 3 episodes.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 12:42:13 AM »

Same here. I gave up after about 3 episodes.

I wish I had too. I kept thinking it must get better. It didn't.

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 06:52:36 AM »

I've never seen any version of the Office and have no interest in doing so. Since it's the original, the British version likely is better in terms of quality, but I usually find that British humor tends to play very differently to American audiences.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T