News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your all time favorite tv show?  (Read 1147 times)
PeterD

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 02:01:38 PM »

Loved the US version of The Office and haven't watched much of the UK version but Ricky Gervais is the star of it and he is pretty good (try his new show After Life)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 11:04:53 PM »

I loved the Office when it first appeared.
I've only seen a few episodes of the US version but Steve Carell's character seemed more of a loveable buffoon whereas Gervais character has virtually no redeeming qualities, is a lot less audience friendly and much more cringeworthy and mean spirited to watch.. At least until the end of the series... It's a different kind of humour I guess. The American Office seemed a little more wacky and over the top than the original and has a much lighter tone and broader humour, the UK darker and at times quite difficult to watch. That said, I did enjoy what I saw of the US version and will watch more and being as it runs a lot longer than the UK version I'm guessing there's a lot more character development over it's several series..
When the Office first aired in the UK some people thought it was an actual documentary, for a couple of episodes at least.. I do see some parallels with Larry Sanders but it definitely kicked of a genre of television..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 06:38:43 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 11:36:21 PM »

PeterD .. I thought Afterlife was an amazing show, his best yet. Remarkable achievement..

PeterD

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 12:30:14 AM »

PeterD .. I thought Afterlife was an amazing show, his best yet. Remarkable achievement..
Yes, it was a show that people should watch, a brilliant effort.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 10:33:38 PM by PeterD » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »

The Office (U.S.) is way more fun to watch if you recognize someone you've worked with that is like any of the characters, especially if they're like Steve Carell.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 11:10:20 PM »

Agreed .. I think the same goes for here too. A lot of people recognised their own work place and fellow workers in the show..
Especially those that work or have worked in that kind of environment. Ie suburban type small office..

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2019, 05:19:47 PM »

Speaking of Bob Newhart, he is 90 years old today!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2019, 07:22:15 PM »

Speaking of Bob Newhart, he is 90 years old today!
And still going strong.

Christopher (and others) will enjoy this interview in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/arts/television/bob-newhart.html

You did so many brilliant comic bits with the telephone. The comic Shelley Berman famously said that you stole the idea of the telephone from his act. Did that bug you?

It bugged me a little because it wasnít true. The phone has been a comedy prop for long time. Mike [Nichols] and Elaine [May] used it. One of the earliest recordings ever made by Edison involved a telephone that [the comic George] Jessel used to do.

[Later on in the interview:] Do you ever think about death?

I think I know whatís on the other side, but Iím not sure. Maybe it just ends. Some people think you come back. Maybe Iíll come back as Shelley Berman and be pissed off at myself.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2019, 08:55:28 PM »

All these are great shows. I've heard a lot of great things about Seinfeld and The Office. I've only seen bits and pieces of Seinfeld. For whatever reason I just never watched an entire episode. I'm sure had I did I would be hooked. Because a lot of people love that show. I know that Threes Company is a little out dated and cheesy. But I grew up watching it as a kid and it always made me laugh a lot. It's just one of those shows that I've always really enjoyed its humor.   I really like all the actors, John Ritter was one of the greatest physical comedians of all time. I love the intro to the show. I pretty much like everything about it. I own the complete series on DVD and am currently watching the entire series again. I still enjoy it very much. Still makes me laugh out loud.
PeterD

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2019, 10:35:18 PM »

Let us not forget maybe the best comedy of all time - Dad's Army.

Love that show, can watch it again and again.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2019, 10:24:54 PM »

I never liked Dads Army much as a kid and never watch it now.... I do realise I'm in a very small minority there tho.... :)

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T