News: See Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, in theaters December 13!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two Mules For Sister Sara & Kelly’s Heroes 50 Year Anniversaries  (Read 96 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: January 15, 2020, 10:09:25 AM »

For the first time after viewing these again recently, I came away enjoying them very much.  So much so, that I look forward to seeing them again.  Another first.   After becoming a fan, I sought out all of Eastwood’s films but didn’t care for these upon first viewing.  Even this time around, it took a second viewing of each to finally appreciate and fully enjoy them.

After first recent viewing of Two Mules For Sister Sara I thought, “Well, at least Don Siegel did a better western with Flaming Star.”  I’m glad I gave it another chance so soon.  I enjoyed watching the interaction between Eastwood and MacLaine.  They have good moments individually and together. 

The best part of Kelly’s Heroes is the ensemble cast.  My favorite character is Big Joe.  Telly Savalas plays him perfectly in every scene.  Whereas I used to find this film long, drawn out and boring I now enjoy watching the story unfold from opening credits to the end. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:00:05 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:27:01 PM »

Actually Jed, I had read somewhere once that there was significant footage cut out of Kelly's Heroes that angered Eastwood. The footage gave more depth to Kelly's demotion and some of the other characters in the movie that would had made the movie better. From what I understand the reasons those scenes were cut out was to keep the comic aspect of the film more prevalent. Not sure if that footage still exists but it would be welcome if its included on the 50th Anniversary dvd edition.....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:28:05 PM by Perry » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 09:12:40 PM »

Thanks, Perry.  I’d definitely be interested in seeing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 07:54:25 AM »

From previous discussion on this board, I think it has been established that that footage doesn't exist.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T