News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: White Hunter, Black Heart & The Rookie 30 Year Anniversaries  (Read 279 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: January 17, 2020, 09:07:54 PM »

Clintís first movie of the 1990ís had limited release, but I was determined and found myself seeking it out at a cinema in Boston.  This character study reminded me of Honkytonk Man and like that film, I didnít enjoy it.  At least, not right away.  I enjoyed the book by Peter Viertel very much, though.  Iíve yet to see the movie it was based on, The African Queen.  My initial reaction to Clintís character, John Wilson, losing a fistfight was negative.  I smile now, when I think of how I reacted then.  Seeing it now makes me appreciate and enjoy it.  Wilsonís verbal reaction to his loss was funny and for the first time I laughed. 

I remember the publicity about The Rookie around the time of itsí release.  I thought it was cool that Charlie Sheen would be teaming up with Eastwood.  After having been disappointed with Pink Cadillac and White Hunter Black Heart, I was looking forward to something good.  At the conclusion of The Rookie, I was indifferent.  I was a little concerned, confused, even.  Was this strike three on Clint Eastwood movies for me?  I was questioning my loyalty as a fan.  Coincidentally, the year before I was let down by Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.  Three bad films in a row by Eastwood didnít help.  In Star Trek, redemption was delivered by the original series cast swan song in 1991.  It would be twenty months after the release of The Rookie for salvation to come my way when Unforgiven was released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ďEyuh.Ē
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 01:49:41 PM »

White Hunter is still one of my faves of Eastwood.  A ridiculously neglected film by all aspects. I remember J.Hoberman of The Village Voice lauded the movie when it was released.. I can't even remember the last time I saw this movie played on a cable station. Has to be at least a decade ago.

You make a valid point Jed about that time with Eastwood's movies. I really became disappointed in his film choices and The Rookie though I don't dislike it as many do, it was below standard though I probably felt at that time at least it's not another Firefox or another movie with Sondra Locke.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 02:30:54 AM »

I was lucky enough to see White Hunter, Black Heart at a cinema here in London and having enjoyed the
book really liked the film.. I've enjoyed it more and more with each repeated viewing..

I took a date to see The Rookie on release and really disliked it... I was almost embarrassed how poor I thought it was..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 04:00:04 PM »

I think a great deal of critics and people were upset with the scene with Sonia Braga..There were other conflicts with the casting, but that particular scene was really vilified.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T