News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint Eastwood’s next project  (Read 6815 times)
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2020, 03:21:40 PM »

Wasn't Eastwood supposed to film a movie about Jessica Buchanan at one time?
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 02:56:44 AM »

On Instagram, I asked Steve Campanelli whether we see another Clint Eastwood picture soon or not. and he replied: 'Not until the end of the year.'

so, I guess that is a YES.

That would be great.

Then Clint and his crew have to be able to start shooting this summer.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 11:57:03 AM »

Wasn't Eastwood supposed to film a movie about Jessica Buchanan at one time?

Yes, that was "Impossible Odds." Clint rarely goes back to movies he moves on from to make another film. He has done it before, most recently with "Richard Jewell," so it could happen. We'll have to wait and see. It also is unclear whether making a movie this summer will be feasible in our current environment.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 12:33:47 PM »

Very true....
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 12:05:53 AM »

We all know Clint likes to keep busy but we know has plenty of time to sift through scripts and carefully select his next project...
Something special I hope...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2021, 01:21:08 PM »

I wonder how long before the next project is announced?

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
LB13

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2022, 04:46:40 AM »

Clint's set to appear in that Betty White celebration, so that's one thing coming out in 2022 with his name in it at least
batfunk2

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2022, 04:00:08 PM »

I would have loved seeing Betty White playing with Clint, she was absoluteky  fantastic and hilarious as Catherine Piper in Boston Legal tv show :D

« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 04:02:09 PM by batfunk2 » Logged
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2022, 12:43:52 AM »

I wonder how long before the next project is announced?

Officially, no project has been announced yet.
A project on lawyer Clarence Darrow seems to be in pre-production but nothing is sure.
During the last years, Clint was used to shoot his films in late spring/summer or in fall.

What kind of films do you want Clint to make ?
Would you like to see him as an actor again ?
john snow/targaryan

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2022, 12:03:14 PM »

A project on lawyer Clarence Darrow seems to be in pre-production but nothing is sure.
During the last years, Clint was used to shoot his films in late spring/summer or in fall.

Clint has made it clear he doesn't do movies for box office or awards.
I believe he will direct again, acting would be a stretch.
Could happen with the right role, just wouldn't put money on it.
I would love to see him be a voice actor for an animated blockbuster.
He would never but it would be fun.
In the end analysis, whatever Clint does in front of or in back of the camera,
it's a blessing. We'll see what 2022 brings...
batfunk2

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2022, 06:46:46 PM »

-action movie or thriller(short,harsh,dry as a bone)
-No thanks,don't wake up the mexican retired man >:D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 06:50:28 PM by batfunk2 » Logged
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2022, 06:35:53 AM »

-action movie or thriller(short,harsh,dry as a bone)
-No thanks,don't wake up the mexican retired man >:D

Even if many people think that Cry Macho should be his last acting job, I would not be surprised if he announced that for his next film, he would be involved as an actor and as a director both. Retirement is definitely not in his DNA.

However, I would be curious to see him directing a western with a great Hollywood cast, in which he would stay behind the camera. Making a western without him as the star would be unusual and interesting.

That Clarence Darrow project is not so exciting at this point but if he decided to make it, why not ?
batfunk2

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2022, 10:13:00 AM »

Eastwood has his own way, but as I said, he is a nonagenarian  man., so he should taking in account that fact. Nick Schenk, as good as screenwriter he is, didn't succeed in turning Clint in a 50 years old man...

Personally, I'm fed up with Real stories but once again, he proved me wrong with The Mule and Richard Jewell... So Clint, do whatever you want, i will always go to movie theater watching your movies :-)
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2022, 04:18:19 PM »

I agree with the fact that I will always be enthusiastic about Clint's work. He is among the actors and the directors who fed and shaped my cinephilia.

The Mule was more fictional than expected, even if it was inspired by Leo Sharp's real life story. With that film, Clint seemed to talk about himself before talking about Leo Sharp.

It's the same thing with White Hunter Black Heart: Clint was supposed to play director John Huston but he also talked about himself and his vision of cinema.

Anyway, I hope that we will have some good news about his next project.
LB13

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2022, 10:47:37 AM »

I don't think I have a specific kind of film I'd like Clint to make - if anything, I'd like it to be something I wouldn't like to see, something that challenges both him and the audience. For instance, I was never one for those hero stories where somebody in real life does something good and they make a movie about this person where it's just filled with pathos and heroism and dramatic music... and then Clint made American Sniper, then he did Sully, Richard Jewell, all movies where he doesn't just spend 2 hours saying how incredible these guys are and have been their entire lives, he makes them into real people with different sides to them, some good, some bad, and it's up for the audience to decide whether they like them or not. That's his thing, always proving your initial assumptions wrong, challenging your views, challenging himself artistically, so for his next project I don't have a set expectation other than I hope to be astounded again.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2022, 12:03:02 PM »

I'd love to see him act again, but after seeing "Cry Macho," I don't know if he will be able to do so.

I'd like to not see another true life story, but given his track record recently, that's most likely to be his next project.

I think Hocine's idea of him directing a western that he does not appear in with an all star cast is very interesting, but I doubt he'll ever do another western again after "Unforgiven," even if only as a director. He'll never be able to top the critical reception of that film, and historical place within the genre, and I think he knows that. "Cry Macho" although billed as a neo-western, really was not a western, so "Unforgiven" is still his definitive commentary on that genre, and I think it's likely to remain so.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2022, 04:44:09 PM »

I agree with AKA23 about the fact that Cry Macho is definitely not a western.
I see Cry Macho like a piece companion to The Mule.

The neo-westerns that I like are Sam Peckinpah?s Junior Bonner with Steve McQueen, David Miller?s Lonely are the Braves with Kirk Douglas and Martin Ritt?s Hud with Paul Newman.

Unforgiven remains Clint?s last western and probably his best film.
However, it seems forgotten today.
When I talk about Clint to some people, who don?t consider themselves like fans of his films, they never quote Unforgiven. Generally, Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby and the Dollars trilogy are the films which are the most quoted.
Some people see Clint as a western actor first and think that he is not so convincing in other film genres.

About his next project, he would probably make an other biopic, if he did not appear in.
His films are more fictional, when he is the star. Probably because Clint is bigger than life.
When Clint is the star, it is his screen persona that feeds his films, not real life stories.
When Clint is not the star, his films are based on real life stories.

No?l Simsolo, who is the author of one of the best Clint films studies in French language, has an interesting theory about Clint films: he thinks that in the first part of his directing career, Clint was obsessed with characters who come from death and in the second part of his directing career, Clint is obsessed with characters who go to death.
He liked Cry Macho and thinks that the Mexican little town where Mike Milo and Rafo stopped at, is just the kingdom of death.

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2022, 07:50:21 AM »

Hocine, it's interesting that you say that many audience members, who are not big Clint fans, don't typically reference "Unforgiven" when discussing his work. I think that's likely due to it being a 30 year old film, while "Million Dollar Baby" and "Gran Torino" were made much more recently. I think I like the idea of "Unforgiven" being his last Western because I think it's a great capper to his career as a Western star. This is mostly because I tend to think of his films thematically, and pay a lot of attention to the evolving arc of his films on that level. I don't think another Western would have the same impact, or serve as such a perfect commentary on the genre as a whole, but I do also see the appeal of doing one with an all-star cast.

It's primarily for this reason that I still believe that he should have stopped acting after "Gran Torino". It would have been the perfect capper to his career as an actor, and if you look at the films he has  made since, "Trouble with the Curve," "The Mule," and "Cry Macho," none have even come close to the critical reception of "Gran Torino," and thematically, they also pale in comparison. Walt Kowalski is one of his best characters, the film has one of his best performances, and the death of his character also serves as a very effective symbolic death of his role as an action star. It also reinforced one of his long-standing themes by showing the deleterious consequences of violence, even when it is used to achieve noble ends, and the redemptive power of restraint and sacrifice. It was unlikely that he'd be able to do another film that served as such a perfect commentary on his career, since he was at that time 78, and now that we have the benefit of the passage of time, and witnessing the roles that came after it, I'd argue has proven this to be even more true. 
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »

I agree with you, AKA23
Gran Torino could have been a perfect last acting role for Clint, his swan song.
Like John Wayne and his last film, The Shootist, directed by Don Siegel.
Indeed, Walt Kowalski was a great role for Clint, probably his last iconic role.
The Get off my lawn scene is an echo of the Make my day scene in Sudden Impact.
He was even named Best Actor by the National Board of Review but seemed snubbed by the Academy Awards.
Maybe Gran Torino was seen as a variation of Million Dollar Baby.
Then, the Academy Awards would not have considered necessary to give Clint a Best Actor Oscar nomination.
After Million Dollar Baby, Clint thought that he was done with acting. He even turned down the leading role of In the Valley of Elah, directed by Paul Haggis. Tommy Lee Jones eventually took the part and got a Best Actor Oscar nomination.
Gran Torino works like a medley of some of his most important roles: the Man with No Name, Harry Callahan, Josey Wales, Ben Shockley, Bronco Billy, Red Stovall, Preacher, Thomas Highway, William Munny and Frankie Dunn.
However, I was happy to see Clint acting again.
Trouble with the Curve was ok but in the acting department, it was more an Amy Adams film than a Clint film, although it was a Malpaso production. The Mule was easily Clint best role since Gran Torino. And Cry Macho was better than Trouble with the Curve. I think that I would not take a big risk, if I said that Clint career is behind him now.
But honestly, I would love to be wrong about that last statement.
Since Unforgiven, Clint seemed to have never stopped to say good bye to his audience.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 06:57:30 PM by Hocine » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T