News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jack Reacher Books and TV series  (Read 398 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 10, 2020, 10:56:02 PM »

[Moderator: the first ten posts in this thread were moved here from another thread, where they were off-topic.  AKA23 started this thread to continue the Reacher discussion, but there is no way I can move his introductory post to be at the beginning of this thread ... so I'll just quote it here. It is repeated farther down the page.]

Since we have a few readers of Lee Child's Jack Reacher book series on here, and they are making an upcoming Amazon series and there will likely be more information coming out soon about it, I'm starting a Jack Reacher discussion thread. The first series of posts is about how Clint Eastwood make have been a good choice to play Jack Reacher earlier in his career, and later we discuss the AMAZON series and Lee Child's brother Andrew taking over as writer of the book series. This is the place to discuss all things Reacher. Thoughts on past or upcoming books, casting news about the AMAZON series, reviews on the series once it gets released, etc. Enjoy Reacher fans!

[Moderator: And now back to Gant's post, which touched off the discussion!]

Who would you cast as Jack Reacher if you could have any actor past or present ?

I can see Robert Ryan maybe.. or William Smith
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:09:16 PM by KC » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 12:13:52 AM »

Who would you cast as Jack Reacher if you could have any actor past or present ?

I can see Robert Ryan maybe.. or William Smith

Past: A young Clint Eastwood.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 10:48:13 AM »

Perfect KC

What age Clint ?

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 08:32:32 PM »

Perfect KC

What age Clint ?

Reacher isn't a kid. Early 40s?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 04:53:22 PM »

He'd have to be his 40's. Reacher is a pretty physical character, so he's got to be fairly young to be able to convincingly portray that. But, he's also, as KC said, kind of world weary and has seen and experienced his fair share, so he's got to be old enough to have been around.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 10:34:13 PM »

Like Dirty Harry ?

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 07:37:06 PM »

So, Amazon is making a Jack Reacher series and he has been cast!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/amazons-jack-reacher-casts-alan-ritchson-in-title-role

I am not familiar with this actor. Has anyone seen him in anything? The article says he's 6'4, but that isn't true. Ritchson himself says that he is 6'2. I'm about that myself, and I definitely don't tower over everyone the way that a 6'5 Reacher would, but it's much closer to Child's character than Tom Cruise was.

Here's confirmation of his actual height: https://www.celebheights.com/s/Alan-Ritchson-4212.html

Anyone have any gut feelings about this choice?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 09:55:45 AM »

Never heard of him.  He vaguely looks the part, although he seems a bit young (IMDb says he was born in 1984, though Wikipedia has 1982). But he has a couple of things going for him: He's tall enough (at least compared to Cruise) ... IMDb also adds an inch to celebheights.com's figure, making him 6' 3". And he's played mostly comic book heroes, which Reacher is, essentially, though without the pictures.

Last time I saw Child in a personal appearance (it was a couple of years ago now), he promised us this series, so I'm glad it's coming to pass. And I'm glad it's on Amazon, since I'm not a Netflix subscriber. :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 08:43:06 PM by KC » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 12:42:17 PM »

IMDB tends to overestimate height, since self-reported heights of celebrities are often exaggerated, but I agree that he looks the part. What do you think of Lee Child retiring and his brother Andrew Child, who is also an author, taking over the series? Do you think he'll be able to maintain the quality of the books? Are you planning to keep reading them? The only experience that I have with this is that when Stieg Larson died, another author took over the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, whose books I read. They were nowhere near the quality of Larson's work. He turned Lisbeth into a female action hero! The heart and richness of the character was gone.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 08:41:50 PM »

AKA, this is the first I've heard of this! It's actually old news, though ... this story in the Guardian is from last January:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/18/jack-reacher-series-author-lee-child-quits-and-lets-brother-step-in

This story in the London Times (you can read the first part for free) says Lee Child had one condition ... his brother, Andrew Grant, had to change his surname to Child. "So, Lee Child retires and a new Child is born."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/child-brothers-lee-and-andrew-play-with-jack-reachers-future-k90b3wphc

For those who don't know: Lee Child is a pseudonym. His original name was Jim Grant, and as Jim Grant he had a successful career as a television producer. After he disagreed with his bosses and got himself fired in 1995, he decided to try his hand at writing thrillers, but he felt he needed a new name. According to Wikipedia ... and I've heard him tell this story in his public appearances:

His pen name "Lee" comes from a family joke about a heard mispronunciation of the name of Renault's Le Car, as "Lee Car". Calling anything "Lee" became a family gag. His daughter, Ruth, was "lee child".

The next book in the series, Reacher #25, is due out next month and declares itself to be by "Lee Child and Andrew Child." The Wikipedia page for Andrew Grant/Child says they will write the "next few books" together before Andrew takes over entirely. I wonder how long they intend to continue? Reacher is getting a bit too old for all this action hero stuff.

https://www.jackreacher.com/us/the-sentinel-promotion/

As to whether I'm going to continue reading: Probably, at least as long as Lee Child is involved. I never read the post-Stieg Larson books in that series (though it was reading the original trilogy that brought me back to Scandinavian thrillers after a lengthy hiatus).

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 11:32:05 AM »

Thanks for the link to that article, KC. I will review. I think that this arrangement could possibly work, since Lee Child will still be available to consult with Andrew over the years. If he experiences any issues, or wants to bounce some ideas off of him for a book, I doubt very seriously that Lee will refuse to discuss. Reacher is also a pretty formulaic character, so it might not be that difficult for someone else to continue on. He has a particular way of speaking, being a man of very few words, he is a man of action, the plots are fairly simple, and the character really doesn't grow or change much at all. All of this could make this series much easier to continue with someone else writing than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series was. I'm going to continue reading, but I'm still sad to see Lee Child retiring.

It will be awhile before I get to his recent work. I just finished  "The Affair," so I still have quite a few to go. I think that one was one of his best! I enjoyed hearing about his time in the military and learning more about his early years  as an investigator before he became the nomadic wanderer we have come to know.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 11:35:54 AM »

Since we have a few readers of Lee Child's Jack Reacher book series on here, and they are making an upcoming Amazon series and there will likely be more information coming out soon about it, I'm starting a Jack Reacher discussion thread. The first series of posts is about how Clint Eastwood make have been a good choice to play Jack Reacher earlier in his career, and later we discuss the AMAZON series and Lee Child's brother Andrew taking over as writer of the book series. This is the place to discuss all things Reacher. Thoughts on past or upcoming books, casting news about the AMAZON series, reviews on the series once it gets released, etc. Enjoy Reacher fans!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:11:47 PM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 06:14:58 PM »

Thanks to AKA for creating this thread! I've merged ten posts from the "Who do you just not get?" thread into this one. (We had been discussing Tom Cruise, who was criminally miscast as Jack Reacher in two movies ... and from there we wandered way off topic ... with KC as the offender-in-chief.  :knuppel2: )

Unfortunately, there is no way to put AKA's post introducing this thread up at the top, where it belongs (although I have quoted it inside the new first post). I hope no one will find it confusing.  :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:40:42 PM by KC » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 12:45:48 AM »

This talk of a new Jack Reacher show reminded me of when I started to read the books.

I was very disappointed with this. I got about 70 pages into it and it just hadn't grabbed me and I thought, "Mmm, this doesn't bode too well, I've still got 450 pages to go." It slowly got a little interesting but if it wasn't for my hard and fast rule regarding books and films that I stick it out till the end, I would've given it away. It reminded me of watching a really long film and the painful wait just for it to slowly get to the conclusion.

2/5.

I've started the second book in the series, Die Trying but again after 100 pages it hasn't grabbed me and this one is even longer but I'll reserve final judgemnet until I've finished.

This didn't improve on the first novel. The same drawn out feeling like it was a chore just to get through it.

I know it's only fiction but there was one page in this book that I just couldn't stop shaking my head in bewilderment.

Reacher and FBI Agent Holly Johnson are in the woods and come across a body that has been crucified. Of course she can't handle the sight of it and throws up. Reacher cuts the body down and buries it. Before the end of the page, they're naked and having sex in the dirt! I mean, come on, are you kidding me?

2/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »

Thanks SK for reposting this. It sounds like you didn't really like the Reacher books at first. Did you continue reading and become a fan later on, or give up after the first couple of books? That would be a reasonable thing to do after two tries! Did you watch either of the two movies?
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 04:10:01 PM »

Thanks SK for reposting this. It sounds like you didn't really like the Reacher books at first. Did you continue reading and become a fan later on, or give up after the first couple of books? That would be a reasonable thing to do after two tries! Did you watch either of the two movies?

Nope, haven?t read another book or seen the movies.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 06:39:06 PM »

I might as well repost my original reply to SK's second minireview ...

This didn't improve on the first novel. The same drawn out feeling like it was a chore just to get through it.

I know it's only fiction but there was one page in this book that I just couldn't stop shaking my head in bewilderment.

Reacher and FBI Agent Holly Johnson are in the woods and come across a body that has been crucified. Of course she can't handle the sight of it and throws up. Reacher cuts the body down and buries it. Before the end of the page, they're naked and having sex in the dirt! I mean, come on, are you kidding me?

2/5.

If I recall right, that was the one where Holly was abducted because she's the daughter of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Reacher gets abducted with her because he just happens to bump into her at the wrong time. They're taken off to a site where a paramiltary cult is plotting to overthrow the US government. I don't recall the sex in the sand at that particular juncture, but I do remember thinking it was pretty improbable that they would let Reacher escape, recapture him, then let him escape again ... over and over.

But the Reacher novels aren't really about the stories, they're about the character, and about how he is always, always, bigger, stronger and smarter than any opponent he meets up with. And he never becomes attached to anyone. If he has sex with a women somewhere along the way, he'll be saying goodbye to her by the last page (with a couple of "cliffhanger" exceptions), And for the most part, the women are pretty strong, smart and capable themselves ... worthy partners, not just bimbos along for the ride. All this may help explain why a lot of Reacher fans are female.

:o :D

And I see these are the Jack Reacher novels that the new movie is adapted from!

It's adapted from a later novel in the series ... and Tom Cruise is starring. A lot of Reacher fans are up in arms about that. That little superannuated shrimp is going to play Jack Reacher, six foot four and two hundred and forty pounds of brute strength and intelligence?

I so agree with you KC.  Reacher could have been played by many of the hunky male stars of today so why pick a little squirt?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T