News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Music Media Progression  (Read 772 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: March 27, 2020, 05:08:19 PM »

I used to love collecting cds.  It took me a while to make the switch from vinyl & cassette.  Once I was able to play cds in my car I thought there’d be no going back.  Prior to that, I’d buy albums on vinyl for home use and the same ones on cassette to hear while driving.  Funny thing is, I’ve returned to vinyl only a few years ago and have now lost the desire to purchase compact discs at all.  It’s a joy to experience playing records again but I limit myself to classic rock, some jazz and popular pre-rock music like Sinatra and Dean Martin. 

The best part is discovering music I otherwise let pass me by years ago, like Fleetwood Mac’s “Rumours”, Billy Joel’s “The Stranger”, The Who’s “Who’s Next”, Elton John’s “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”, Bruce Springsteen’s “Born To Run”, The Rolling Stone’s “Exile On Main Street”, The Eagles’ “Hotel California” and more.  I don’t buy into the vinyl vs compact disc debate.  It’s crap.  It depends on your system.  If you have a basic stereo your cds will sound fine but of course, with superior components vinyl will sound better and vice versa.  I don’t care.

For me it’s all about personal entertainment.  I’m not a stickler.  Hell, I remember 8-track tapes sounded better than cassettes on the same stereo but the 8-track drawback was the song interruptions!  LOL!  I’d be listening to the Beatles’ Let It Be album as so…

“Images of broken light, which dance before me like a million eyes…” KERLUNCK!  What the?  Is my stereo busted? Man!! ...KERLUNCK! ”…They call me on and on across the universe.”  Hahaha!  They had 4 programs on each cartridge but not enough space.   It was weird and at times frustrating.  Like many others, I thought vinyl would last forever.  You can’t go wrong with the artistry of albums, an art form lost on the smaller cd packaging.  Although, these days there are sets in both formats that go to the extreme to fans’ and collectors’ delight.

So, a few years ago, I finally graduated to modern technology and took advantage of music available on Spotify and radio programs on XFM.  I loved burning my own cd compilations but even that was limiting.  With Spotify I can compile to my hearts’ content without additional cost.  I can listen at home, in my car and on my phone.  It’s a win-win scenario, unlike the Kobayashi Maru 😉  Yup, I just exposed my geek side.  It’s great revisiting favorites and discovering music I otherwise have and would continue let pass me by.  Thanks to Linda and Amy (you know who you are 😉), I’ve discovered the greatness of The Rolling Stones and AC/DC without having to spend lots of money.           

I remember my dad telling me some years ago, “Vinyl’s making a comeback!”  I laughed and replied, “No way!  What the hell for, anyway?”  Like many others, I figured records had gone the way of VHS tapes.  They died out when DVDs took over, much like vinyl did when CDs came along.  Not long after, I was in Newbury Comics in Boston and saw he was right.  A few short years later, upon another visit, I saw that they had an entire room full of vinyl!  My dad got the last laugh on that one.  It would be a while before I returned to vinyl and am glad I did.  On the other side of the same token (as Dad used to say), I’m thankful for the technological advancement, too.  The best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:25:31 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 12:15:29 AM »

Great piece Jed and one which pretty much mirrors my own story.

Like you I've returned to vinyl these past few years and loving it. My tastes mainly being in the Jazz genre these days
and it just sounds so right on record. I've got a decent system and there's just more depth to the sound. I still play cd's occasionally but havn't bought one in a long while.. I've just spent the past week re-decorating my living room and completely re organising my album collection ( thank god I kept them all when the cd boom hit) and it's been a real joy handling them, reading sleeve notes and admiring the cover art..
Now my system (Quad. Is it a male thing to brag about hi fi' s ?? ;D )  is back up and running I've been playing them relentlessly.
Like you I'm also a big spotify user and love making up playlists and discovering new music...

I have a vague memory of 8-track from friends parents houses but we never owned one..
However.... I drive an old truck that only has a radio/cassette for entertainment. Until recently I only used the radio
but I stumbled across a box of cassettes in my loft including many old compilation tapes made by friends.  and gave them a whirl in the truck and man they sound good... So I'm back on the cassette trail now too..

All this choice is awesome.. Bring on the return of the wax cylinder..   O0
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:46:40 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 05:16:10 PM »

Wax cylinder, lol! 😂

“Eyuh.”
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 03:39:24 PM »

I've always had a special love for vinyl and I got a record player sometime last year, and I still have many of the albums I owned in my youth, though the ones I had been borrowing from my brother for all those years after he left home, I gave back to him long ago. I did buy a couple albums used, like John Lennon's Imagine, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme by Simon & Garfunkel, and a Robert Plant album. I also bought Pink Floyd Animals and Abbey Road new. I've been listening to those a bit more during this situation. I really want The White Album on vinyl. I had it growing up but it was really my brother's album, so that was one of the ones I gave back to him. We've should have seen this coming, as it's now a lot harder to get the original version. Everywhere it's on sale it's the Giles Martin version.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »

I gave my kids a turntable for Christmas, like, three years ago!  I pretty much gave up on asking if they’d set it up because it seemed like it was never going to happen.  I threw it out there as an afterthought the other day and was pleasantly surprised to learn it finally got done and they’ve listened to some of the albums I gave them.  I’m glad, because now I can introduce them to some vintage and classic rock.  I asked my son recently if there was any particular music he liked and his reply was no.  I don’t expect them to start collecting vinyl but still fun to introduce them to a format that was dominant for decades. 

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 07:53:45 PM »

The original "Mini-Cooper" must be nearly a teenager by now, right, Jed/Brian? How time flies!
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 03:30:01 AM »

Yes, KC, you hit the proverbial nail on the head.  Nicholas celebrated his 13th birthday this past Sunday. 🙂

Diana set up a “social distancing” celebration for him for family and friends to stop by and wish him a Happy Birthday.  I worked it out so that I’d have time to see him and Nina before that got underway. 

After opening his cards and gifts, I shared stories of the time he was born and when he was an infant.  I also shared stories of the year I turned 13, celebrating whilst at Massachusetts General Hospital due to fighting off Spinal Meningitis.

We also shot some hoops and kicked around a soccer ball a little.  Fortunately, the weather was beautiful and it was a very nice visit.  Below are images taken from that day.

...And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic.  😉

Thank you so much, KC, for remembering.  That’s very nice if you. 🙂

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 10:02:44 AM »

Oh, I remember those mini-cooper posts. Wow, 13 years now! We're all getting old. :D ;D  Happy birthday to Nicholas!
Hugofirst1994

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 03:20:38 PM »

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:22:56 PM by Hugofirst1994 » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 02:10:20 AM »

Oh, I remember those mini-cooper posts. Wow, 13 years now! We're all getting old. :D ;D  Happy birthday to Nicholas!
Sorry I?m so late, Christopher!  Thank you! 🙂

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 02:11:31 AM »

Happy Birthday  :smitten: O0
Very cool! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

“Eyuh.”