News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Gauntlet Movie Night, Saturday May 2, 2020  (Read 8454 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #320 on: May 02, 2020, 03:14:32 PM »

How about Jack Daniels?

Ding ding ding.  I owe you one. You called it.

(I missed a few comments while watching the film)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #321 on: May 02, 2020, 03:15:33 PM »

I didn't see a cantelope in this movie. Was that Tightrope?  Come to think of it, there's a little bit of similarity between Wes and Shockley.

Cantaloupes are a thing in Every Which Way But Loose. ;)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #322 on: May 02, 2020, 03:15:36 PM »

I didn't see a cantelope in this movie. Was that Tightrope?  Come to think of it, there's a little bit of similarity between Wes and Shockley.

How so? In what ways?
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #323 on: May 02, 2020, 03:17:09 PM »

Off to bed, thanks again! Let's do another one soon.

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #324 on: May 02, 2020, 03:19:53 PM »

Cantaloupes are a thing in Every Which Way But Loose. ;)

They are at that!  ;D

How so? In what ways?

Alcoholic down on the outs cops that need a few lessons taught to them by the females in their lives.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #325 on: May 02, 2020, 03:21:39 PM »

Both Shockley and Wes are cops who are psychically damaged by their jobs. Shockely retreats into drink and unthinking obedience to his superiors. Wes, on the other hand, finds himself drawn to the darker side of the world he is immersed in while on the job, to the point where there is a resemblance between him and the killer (emphasized by the director, i.e. Clint, who among other things looped the killer's lines).
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #326 on: May 02, 2020, 03:22:22 PM »

Alcoholic down on the outs cops that need a few lessons taught to them by the females in their lives.

Ooh, much more succinct! Thanks, Matt!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:29:57 PM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #327 on: May 02, 2020, 03:29:19 PM »

Just for fun, I'm going to post a passage from a story that ran in Film Comment in January, 1978. It's part of an interview feature on Clint by Richard Thomson and Tim Hunter that we included in Clint Eastwood: Interviews (pages 43-61 of the original edition).

Eastwood has just directed Gauntlet, which is a Christmas release (as were Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, and The Enforcer). It’s a couple-on-the-run, paranoid chase film. At $5 million dollars—including overhead—it’s his most expensive to date, and his most technically complex: $1.25 million for special effects. The cast includes Eastwood, Sondra Locke, Pat Hingle, and BilI McKinney.

Judging from the production stills, Gauntlet moves away from the elegant visual style—post-genre painting, with a bow to the Brandywine School—of Josey Wales, to locate itself within a contemporary L.A. art tendency involving kinetic, environmental, and event art ideas, in which domestic icons are transformed by barrage violence, a movement obviously taken from demolition derbies. The point of this sort of art is not to exhibit the finished object, but for the viewers to witness the progressive cruelly visited upon the subject until it is, indexically, finally exhausted of surface/textural potential to absorb anymore. This process is preserved on film as the only significant record of the art work, as Tinguely’s work has been, or that of many other event artists.

In Gauntlet, two of these events are:

1. Police surround a bungalow and lavish so many rounds on it that it implodes, leaving only a cubic yard of fresh barkdust (the idea that the house becomes its own negative space).

2. A Greyhound SceniCruiser runs a downtown Phoenix gauntlet of officers until it becomes a Guiness Book of Records item (how many heavy-caliber bullet holes can one bus contain?).

I'd call that a pretty accurate summing up!  ;D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #328 on: May 02, 2020, 03:30:36 PM »

Jetzt geht's los, as the Germans say! ;D

Just get lost???  :D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #329 on: May 02, 2020, 03:33:59 PM »

Just get lost???  :D

Ha, good guess! Roughly, "Here we go!" Only with a bit more emphasis on the "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!" undertone.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:47:03 PM by KC » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #330 on: May 02, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »

Now it
Ha, good guess! Roughly, "Here we go!" Only with a bit more emphasis on the "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!" undertone.

Ahhhhh!  ;D
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #331 on: May 02, 2020, 03:39:27 PM »

Both Shockley and Wes are cops who are psychically damaged by their jobs. Shockely retreats into drink and unthinking obedience to his superiors. Wes, on the other hand, finds himself drawn to the darker side of the world he is immersed in while on the job, to the point where there is a resemblance between him and the killer (emphasized by the director, i.e. Clint, who among other things looped the killer's lines).

I agree with this.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #332 on: May 02, 2020, 05:51:33 PM »

Looks like a fun time!

KC, that Film Comment quote is really interesting. The 5 million dollar budget around 1977 would just be over 21 million now, according to an inflation calculator.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T