News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who do you just not get ?  (Read 1472 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 07, 2020, 03:38:28 PM »

Which band or singer just doesn’t do it for you ? Leaves you cold, disinterested or a band that you simply cannot connect to
even  tho they might be popular and revered throughout the land...

For me it’s Queen.... I never liked them when I was young and to this day I just don’t get them. Mercury’s vocals kill
it for me for starters..

Also Bruce Springsteen. I’ve really tried with him, listened to all his early stuff etc but he just don’t  move me. He’s a
one trick pony to my ears... It’s not that I think he’s $#!t or anything... but his music moves me not one bit..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 04:18:28 PM »

Wow.  Very interesting topic, Gant.  First, I’d like to comment on Queen and Springsteen.  Not for conflict or to sway opinion.  Rather, to give my perspective.  I admit it took me years to appreciate Queen.  I picked up greatest hits compilations of Queen and The Who in 2009 and played them repeatedly for a long time.  Before that, I knew and liked them, but these were an awakening for me. 

As for Freddie Mercury, like Springsteen I guess his singing is an acquired taste.  To me, Mercury is one of the all time greatest Rock music vocalists.  Not my favorite, but incredible nevertheless.  As for Bruce, Born In The U.S.A. spawned a number of hits and for the first time I bought an album by The Boss.  Much as I still enjoy it, my curiosity wouldn’t be piqued again until 1995, when I picked up a greatest hits cd by him and one by Tom Petty.  I still enjoy those very much, too.  Again, many a year would pass before I’d bother again, but was curious about Bruce’s Western Stars and consider it a masterpiece.

Second, I’ll comment on what I don’t get.  Rap music.  Never have, never will.  To me, it’s  the least entertaining of all musical genres.  Justin Bieber.  Just don’t care for his music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 10:22:00 PM »

Well put Jed... Unfortunately there’s something about Queen that actually irritates me and never more so than at Live Aid... that performance was a real turn off for me. I’ll admit I’m not a big “rock” guy but there’s something about Freddie’s mock opera style of singing that really grates. Also the guitarist’s fiddly diddly style of playing .... not one ounce of nuance or subtlety in the whole band..
I find Led Zepplin the same because of Robert Plants voice tho I do appreciate the amazing musicianship and songwriting... light years ahead of Queen

As for Springsteen I don’t dislike him... and I’ve really tried ( as so many people obviously rate him very highly ) but I just can’t get it..
I hated the bombast of Born in the USA album but I’ve listened to his first three albums and can only find them mediocre,,

I do realise of course that I’m in a tiny minority when it comes to my thoughts on these artists. Remember, this is a guy who loves Firefox 😃

Apparently there are people out there who don’t “ get” The Beatles... now that is simply ludicrous.. 🤣🤣

Ps... I only really like about 4 songs by The Who...

Justin Beiber.... who’s he ??  😉
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:39:47 AM by Gant » Logged

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 01:35:01 AM »

The Rolling Stones. Apart from their singles and a couple other songs, I can't stand their music. I've tried to like a few of their albums, like Exile on Main Street and Let It Bleed, but they're awful. And I can't stand Keith Richards. So there's that.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 02:29:57 PM »

I also can't stand rap. The only rap song that I've ever liked is "Gangsta's Paradise," and that's only because it has a very positive message. I also can't listen to heavy metal music.

As for artists, I'm pretty musically illiterate, so I wouldn't really know who to choose, but Lady Gaga comes to mind. I thought she sounded good in "A Star is Born," but I've never been able to tolerate her actual music that she makes in real life.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 10:54:35 PM »

I also can't stand rap. The only rap song that I've ever liked is "Gangsta's Paradise," and that's only because it has a very positive message.

That's my favorite rap song. I also like some early rap, like MC Hammer. But the hip hop/gangsta rap -- I can't tolerate it.

I'm sure there are dozens of bands that I don't get, but all I can think of right now is Air Supply.  ;D  It's late and I'm drawing a blank.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 04:05:22 AM »

The whole rap/ hip hop thing kinda passed me by when it went mainstream in the 80’s. I was already getting pretty immersed
in Jazz at the time, tho now I hear things from that period that I’m liking so I’m gradually going back and listening to the early rap stuff and investigating it..

But more than musical genres. I was interested to hear of bands or artists that you really aren’t keen on that are obviously very popular..   

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »

I've had Sirius radio for a little while now (but may get rid of it soon), and I've enjoyed listening to LL Cool J's Rock the Bells station, which is all about hip hop from the 80s and 90s (maybe some newer stuff too). I like rap from that time period. I'm not crazy about a lot of the newer stuff I've heard.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 05:56:40 AM »

How could I forget?.... Yoko Ono!

Man!  Just no artistic, entertainment value whatsoever.  Not one iota!  Just completely horrible.  I can’t tolerate anything by her.  It’s a struggle listening to her & John Lennon’s “Sunday Bloody Sunday” recording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 10:20:26 PM »

Widening this out to actors...

Tom Cruise. There’s something about that irritates me about his performances ( Thank God Clint resisted
pressure to cast him in Unforgiven. I bet he’d have insisted on wearing the aviator shades) I don’t think I’ve ever
really liked a film he’s been in apart from Colour of Money.. I recently tried Made in America but switched off
halfway through..

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 02:12:56 AM »

Seth Rogen. He's like the kid you knew in high school who thought he was funny and is always performing, while making everyone uncomfortable because there's literally nothing funny about the guy. That's Seth Rogen. After seeing several horrible movies with him, I decided I'd just boycott his movies. Along with Judd Apatow. Problem solved. I only made an exception for Paul, because he only did the voice of the alien, and The Interview because, you know, for a minute it was a big deal. The movie sucked, naturally. I think I can tolerate anybody else in the right movie/role, although I do think Russell Crowe is, besides a terrible person, an extremely overrated actor. But I've seen a lot of his movies, and I can't ever recall seeing him laugh or even smile in any genuine way for even a moment in any film of his I've seen. He's like a cardboard cutout on screen, so I've never gotten why he was ever nominated.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 02:59:56 PM »

I don't think I've ever heard that some might have wanted Tom Cruise to be cast in Unforgiven. That movie is so well cast I'm not sure what role that would have been (unless it was the schofield kid). I like Cruise (the Mission: Impossible movies are still going strong) but I don't know that I could see him in that movie.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 06:06:29 PM »

I don't think I've ever heard that some might have wanted Tom Cruise to be cast in Unforgiven.

Me either! Any idea where you heard this, Gant?

I've never gotten over the fact that he got to play Jack Reacher in two films. Can't imagine a character he was more totally unsuited for ... unless it would be any of the lead roles in Unforgiven. Maybe he could have played one of the deputies? Maybe Charlie Hecker, the one who runs away from the shootout at the end?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 06:52:38 AM »

I think Tom Cruise is a good actor. He's not my favorite, but he gives his all for every role, even at significant risk to himself, and at nearly 60 years old, the level at which he's able to perform is pretty impressive. He also appears to tackle challenges no one else in the industry does, like his recently announced project to film a project in space.

I also can't see Tom Cruise in "Unforgiven." What's the source of this, Gant? Is there any info as to what his role would have been? Even the Schofield Kid doesn't really fit.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 02:11:30 PM »

Sorry, I can’t remember to be honest.Long time ago. I think I read somewhere that the studio suggested a “name” for the role of Schofield Kid and Cruise’s name came up.. I’m sure he was never seriously considered tho..

Fancy casting an actor for the  role of Jack Reacher who struggles to reach much at all.... 😳

Some scenes for the last instalment of mission impossible were filmed near where I live and caused quite a lot of traffic chaos..
Another reason to dislike him... 😤

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 02:15:30 PM by Gant » Logged

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 02:34:15 PM »

I've never gotten over the fact that he got to play Jack Reacher in two films. Can't imagine a character he was more totally unsuited for ... unless it would be any of the lead roles in Unforgiven. Maybe he could have played one of the deputies? Maybe Charlie Hecker, the one who runs away from the shootout at the end?

KC is so right on this! I'm also a fan of the Jack Reacher book series and Tom Cruise was not well suited for the role. Attitudinally, I thought he was actually okay, but the physicality of the character is probably the defining feature of the series, and Cruise just couldn't convincingly portray that given his height! They are making an AMAZON series, so I'm looking forward to seeing who they choose next.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:28:20 PM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 10:33:47 PM »

(I fixed the formatting for you, AKA.)

Yeah, I guess when they were casting Unforgiven, Cruise would have been around 30 and probably could play several years younger. So if you were looking for a "name" for the Kid, his might have popped up.

It would so have contradicted one of the main themes of the film, though ... about how the "names" of the Old West were constantly coming up against the ghosts engendered by their own reputations. That's why you wanted "names" to play the parts of Munny, Little Bill and English Bob ... but not the Schofield Kid, who was really a no-name kid just setting out (so he believes) to make himself a "name."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 10:52:43 PM »

Totally agree KC...
Maybe at this stage Clint was having a bit of a lean spell at the box office and someone thought maybe a younger star might attract a new, younger crowd to a Clint film.. A bit like what was tried with The Rookie..

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 06:32:48 PM »

MODERATOR'S NOTE: At this point, our "I just don't get Tom Cruise" discussion transmogrified into a "Jack Reacher" discussion, so AKA considerately started a new dedicated Reacher thread, and I've moved ten posts from this thread into it. You'll find it here:

Jack Reacher Books and TV Series

Thanks, AKA!  8)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T