News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Introducing girlfriend to the world of Mr Eastwood movies  (Read 383 times)
Flintstone

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 07, 2020, 04:46:52 AM »

Hi,

so the thing is I am a Clint Eastwood fan but my girlfriend is not. Or rather she has not seen any movie of his. It is a shame really but maybe her parents didn't show her? I was watching Mr Eastwood's westerns with my dad and grandpa. I would like to introduce my gal to the fantastic world of those movies but I have no idea where to start. With good ol' classics or maybe something newer? What do you suggest??
Speer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 05:46:04 AM »

You can start from A Fistful of dollars

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 11:40:33 AM »

I'd start with The Beguiled. That may lead to all sorts of things.........
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 11:48:48 AM »

The spaghetti westerns are my favorites, but I'm afraid they're a bit too lengthy for a newbie. Speer's recommendation of A Fistful of Dollars is a great one because it's shorter. But, I might go with High Plains Drifter first, and move on to the Spaghettis if she likes it enough to want more.  And of course, Dirty Harry would also be a great one to start out with. Let us know what you decide to go with!
Speer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »

The spaghetti westerns are my favorites, but I'm afraid they're a bit too lengthy for a newbie. Speer's recommendation of A Fistful of Dollars is a great one because it's shorter. But, I might go with High Plains Drifter first, and move on to the Spaghettis if she likes it enough to want more.  And of course, Dirty Harry would also be a great one to start out with. Let us know what you decide to go with!

I agree with you. High Plains Drifter is another good choice for a newbie.

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 01:21:34 PM »

Although it's a great example of a classic Eastwood character, I would not start out with "High Plains Drifter." The rape scene could turn her off immediately. What types of movies does she enjoy? I'd start there, and then pick something within that genre that Clint has done. Maybe ask her to let you know some of her favorite movies and pick something that aligns.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 03:35:18 PM »

Good point AKA...

Bridges ?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 12:17:38 AM »

My first proper girlfriend was treated to Firefox.. Others were taken to Bird, White Hunter and The Dead Pool.

Mrs Gant was lucky in that her first Eastwood Film was Unforgiven... 😊

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 09:40:58 AM »

"Bridges" would be a good choice if she likes romance movies. I think it really depends on what types of movies she typically enjoys. I agree with Matt that most of the spaghetti westerns are too long. If she likes Westerns, "The Outlaw Josey Wales" wouldn't be a bad choice. Josey Wales is a classic Eastwood character, it has a good amount of humor, and the surrogate family element is pretty relatable.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 12:26:29 PM »

Without any other context, I'd recommend In the Line of Fire as a good introductory film for someone's girlfriend.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 06:30:24 PM »

Doug, since that's my favorite Eastwood movie, I think that's an excellent pick. You have very good taste! Since the poster mentioned Eastwood westerns and wanting to introduce her to "that world," I interpreted that to mean he wanted to start with a Western.

Flintstone, we haven't heard anything from you. Have you chosen a movie yet? Has she seen it? Has our recommending totally different movies and there being no consistency in the choice caused you to become paralyzed with indecision and have you abandoned the whole effort? Let us know! :) 
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 12:15:16 AM »

Hi everybody,

With Clint Eastwood?s filmography, there are many possibilities

Flinstone, I think that it depends on your girlfriend?s tastes but not only

It also depends on your tastes and what you want to show her

Who knows ? She could be curious to know and to see what kind of movies you like, because it?s about you

If you have a favorite movie, you can start from there

If she can stand old fashioned movies, you can show her anything from Clint?s filmography

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 12:22:15 AM »

Doug, since that's my favorite Eastwood movie, I think that's an excellent pick. You have very good taste! Since the poster mentioned Eastwood westerns and wanting to introduce her to "that world," I interpreted that to mean he wanted to start with a Western.

Flintstone, we haven't heard anything from you. Have you chosen a movie yet? Has she seen it? Has our recommending totally different movies and there being no consistency in the choice caused you to become paralyzed with indecision and have you abandoned the whole effort? Let us know! :)

I didn't know that was your favorite film. Has it always been your favorite? Anyhow I interpreted the comment "With good ol' classics or maybe something newer?" to mean any Eastwood film. In the Line of Fire seems like a good choice as it has action, it feels modern, it has romance, it has good pacing, and it showcases some really good acting on the part of Clint. Some of his best acting, in my opinion.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 04:48:59 PM »

The nice thing about Eastwood's career is that he's done so many different type of movies, there's potentially something for everyone. And I agree that In the Line of Fire could be a great one to introduce someone to Eastwood.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »

I didn't know that was your favorite film. Has it always been your favorite? Anyhow I interpreted the comment "With good ol' classics or maybe something newer?" to mean any Eastwood film. In the Line of Fire seems like a good choice as it has action, it feels modern, it has romance, it has good pacing, and it showcases some really good acting on the part of Clint. Some of his best acting, in my opinion.

Yes, Doug, it's always been my favorite Eastwood movie, ever since I first saw it at my grandmother's house in 1994. Don't think it will ever be topped! I also think Frank Horrigan is one of his most underrated performances.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 06:17:45 PM »

I'd have to say at this point Tightrope would be a perfect movie as well. You can always go bowling later.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 10:57:10 PM »

Tightrope.... great call Perry..

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T