News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The most underrated movies directed by Clint Eastwood  (Read 726 times)
Hocine

View Profile Email
« on: August 12, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »

Hello everybody,

According to Screenrant, these ten movies below are the most underrated movies directed by Clint Eastwood:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/underated-clint-eastwood-directed-movies/amp/

In your opinion, what are the most underrated movies directed by Clint Eastwood ?
Speer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 02:27:03 PM »

A perfect world - overall. In my opinion...

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 04:07:17 PM »

Honkytonk Man

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »

That's an interesting list. I still haven't watched J. Edgar, so I guess I really oughta pop the disc in sometime (I have it in a 4-movie set). I like that they include Breezy.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 06:32:20 PM »

A perfect world - overall. In my opinion...

Actually, A Perfect World was praised by many critics but it failed at American box office

Clint thought that it wasn?t released at the right time because In the Line of Fire was still playing everywhere

However, it was successful in Europe

Kevin Costner gave one of his best performances

I think that it is still one of the best Clint Eastwood films and one of my favorite ones

Today, it seems forgotten, if compared with The Bridges of Madison County
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »

White Hunter Black Heart. A tremendously neglected movie that came out during a few years when Eastwood's films were not box office friendly attractions. To put movies like Sudden Impact, The Eiger Sanction and The Gauntlet on that list is laughable. " In The Garden' is maybe Eastwood's biggest mistake. A colossal bore.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 12:39:07 PM »

I'd say "White Hunter, Black Heart," "Pale Rider," and "A Perfect World," are the only films that are really underrated on that list. I think "A Perfect World" is probably the most underrated film Eastwood has made, in my opinion. Given how poor the source material was, "The Bridges of Madison County" also deserves to be on the list .
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 06:13:44 PM »

I'd have to agree with you AKA23 on 'Bridges'.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 12:55:11 PM »

Do you consider Bridges to be underrated now? I know it was successful in its day.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 11:10:39 AM »

You see, I can't put movies like Sudden Impact as an example underrated cause it was a box office hit regardless if I think that movie was horrible and  movies like The Eiger Sanction I have to dismiss as well. To me, a movie like 'Bridges' probably is underrated to the extent it probably wasn't a movie his hardcore action audience went to see. The movie was superior to the novel and I would imagine the people who read the novel would agree. The novel was extremely popular. I've seen 'Bridges' and thought it was a modern day classic which draws back to classic Hollywood. In that sense I do feel it is underrated... I realize many people feel 'Perfect World' is underrated. I guess it is in ways. As much as everyone lauded Costner. I just never saw it. I always felt his performance was overrated- nothing special. I think I might had mentioned years ago I felt Mickey Rourke would had been a better choice at the time...
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 01:50:33 PM »

"Bridges" is not one of my favorite Clint movies, but I do think it is one of his best. Romance really isn't my favorite genre, and a later in life romance centering around an affair is even less so, but I do think it's one of his finest in terms of quality and technical proficiency. I don't think it's thought of that way, either by the general public, or by most Eastwood fans. I also actually tried to read the novel, and I couldn't finish it because I thought it was so poorly written, while, like Perry said, the film was very effective. It's the biggest improvement from novel to film that I've ever seen.

I also think what it did pretty successfully was pretty difficult to do, which is to evoke feelings of sympathy/empathy for Robert and Francesca who had to cut short what they experienced as a once in a lifetime love, while at the same time also simultaneously signaling that they made the right decision by ending their love affair so that she could remain with her existing family. That's a pretty delicate balance to strike, and I think the movie did that very successfully. I also find that in many romance movies, it's often not convincingly depicted why these two people are in love with each other. It just seems to be a convention of the story, but in this movie, it's very clear as the story slowly evolves why these two people have fallen in love with each other The slow-burn nature of the story felt much more realistic to me than is typical of the genre.

It's also very well directed. The way it's shot in terms of the way it depicts the landscapes of Madison County is very inviting, Meryl Streep and Eastwood are both well cast  (although I know some feel Robert wasn't a good role for Eastwood) and Eastwood's "Doe Eyes" theme and the score as a whole is a great fit for the somber nature of the story. Like "Unforgiven," I can't really imagine the movie with someone else's music. You also can't really watch that scene in the rain with her in the car while she struggles to determine whether to stay with her family or flee with Robert, as she makes that split second but life altering decision about whether she should be guided by what she knows in her head is right or what she feels in her heart she wants to do, without feeling for the characters. The main flaw that I think it has, which is present in many Eastwood films, is the weakness of the subplot centering around the portrayal of the supporting characters, such as the adult children and their lives. I don't think that story really worked in the movie, but everything else was done very well. When I watched all Eastwood's films for the Eastwood challenge years ago, this was the one film in his filmography that I came away feeling was actually a lot better than I had initially evaluated it to be when I first saw it. 
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 09:45:51 PM »

The three movies I'd probably consider the most underrated of Clint's are A Perfect World, White Hunter, black Heart, and Bird. At least here in the States.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 09:55:12 PM »

Very nice evaluation of Bridges, AKA! I might add that it has some of Eastwood's best acting ... I think in that regard it's on a par with In the Line of Fire.

(And every time I watch that scene in the rain, and Richard says testily, "What's he waiting for?" I imagine her saying, "Me! He's waiting for me!")
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 11:38:26 AM »

Hereafter.....
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 02:54:15 PM »

AKA23 is a major dude.....
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 05:14:46 PM »

AKA23 is a major dude.....

Hey Perry. I have never heard that phrase before so not sure what it means, but it sounds like a compliment!  ;D
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 09:34:38 AM »

AKA23..It is a compliment..Actually, that expression is taken from a Steely Dan song called , 'Any Major Dude' from their Pretzel Logic album... You Tube it sometime. Great song.....
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 11:51:38 PM »

Among the most underrated movies directed by Clint Eastwood, I would quote Breezy, Bronco Billy, Honkytonk Man, Bird, White Hunter Black Heart and Letters From Iwo Jima

These movies were considered and released like art films

Many people who are not Clint Eastwood fans don?t know them

Most of these films didn?t make money

Instead, they gave Clint the artistic level that action pictures couldn?t give him

These movies showed the evolution of Clint as a filmmaker

They probably prepared him to make the movies he made during the last twenty years
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 12:19:24 AM »

"Bridges" is not one of my favorite Clint movies, but I do think it is one of his best. Romance really isn't my favorite genre, and a later in life romance centering around an affair is even less so, but I do think it's one of his finest in terms of quality and technical proficiency. I don't think it's thought of that way, either by the general public, or by most Eastwood fans. I also actually tried to read the novel, and I couldn't finish it because I thought it was so poorly written, while, like Perry said, the film was very effective. It's the biggest improvement from novel to film that I've ever seen.

I also think what it did pretty successfully was pretty difficult to do, which is to evoke feelings of sympathy/empathy for Robert and Francesca who had to cut short what they experienced as a once in a lifetime love, while at the same time also simultaneously signaling that they made the right decision by ending their love affair so that she could remain with her existing family. That's a pretty delicate balance to strike, and I think the movie did that very successfully. I also find that in many romance movies, it's often not convincingly depicted why these two people are in love with each other. It just seems to be a convention of the story, but in this movie, it's very clear as the story slowly evolves why these two people have fallen in love with each other The slow-burn nature of the story felt much more realistic to me than is typical of the genre.

It's also very well directed. The way it's shot in terms of the way it depicts the landscapes of Madison County is very inviting, Meryl Streep and Eastwood are both well cast  (although I know some feel Robert wasn't a good role for Eastwood) and Eastwood's "Doe Eyes" theme and the score as a whole is a great fit for the somber nature of the story. Like "Unforgiven," I can't really imagine the movie with someone else's music. You also can't really watch that scene in the rain with her in the car while she struggles to determine whether to stay with her family or flee with Robert, as she makes that split second but life altering decision about whether she should be guided by what she knows in her head is right or what she feels in her heart she wants to do, without feeling for the characters. The main flaw that I think it has, which is present in many Eastwood films, is the weakness of the subplot centering around the portrayal of the supporting characters, such as the adult children and their lives. I don't think that story really worked in the movie, but everything else was done very well. When I watched all Eastwood's films for the Eastwood challenge years ago, this was the one film in his filmography that I came away feeling was actually a lot better than I had initially evaluated it to be when I first saw it.

Actually, The Bridges of Madison County is the first movie directed by Clint that I have seen in a movie theater.
I was lucky enough to have seen it, when it was released in 1995.
I was 13 years old then.
This movie is arguably one of his best films.
It is timeless. Its mood is very special. Clint and Meryl Streep are great in it.
As an actor, it is one of Clint?s best performances.
That film was shot perfectly.
It was probably underrated by the people who like Clint in westerns and action movies only.
But I wouldn?t say that it was really underrated.
After all, it was successful critically and financially.
In 1995, Clint was already recognized as a great director by the critics.
He won two Oscars in 1993 with Unforgiven.
However, I agree with AKA23: many people didn?t expect that film from Clint. :police:
HumptyDumpty

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 06:05:37 AM »

I'm a huge fan of Pale Rider and I'm surprised it's somehow underrated. All my friends know and like this movie. It's not worse than his other classics  :)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T