News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The most underrated movies directed by Clint Eastwood  (Read 810 times)
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 12:36:12 AM »

I'm a huge fan of Pale Rider and I'm surprised it's somehow underrated. All my friends know and like this movie. It's not worse than his other classics  :)

Pale Rider is among my favorites movies directed by Clint Eastwood.
I also think that it is one of his best movies.
Clint directed four westerns and all of them are among the best movies he directed :
High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale Rider and Unforgiven.
Unforgiven and The Outlaw Josey Wales are probably the best westerns that Clint directed.
They are the most accomplished westerns that he directed.
Pale Rider is sometimes considered as the least accomplished one.
Pale Rider is maybe more conventional, more traditional than the others.
It is maybe less provocative than the others.
Pale Rider can be seen as the remake of Shane, a western released in 1952, directed by George Stevens and starring Alan Ladd as Shane.
Pale Rider is also close to High Plains Drifter because Clint plays a man with no name who comes from nowhere and goes to nowhere. Some critics saw the influence of Sergio Leone.
Pale Rider was released in 1985 when Clint?s work started to be taken seriously by the critics.
Indeed, it is the first Clint Eastwood movie to be selected at Cannes Film Festival.
Pale Rider is sometimes considered as an art film and announces movies like Bird, White Hunter Black Heart, Unforgiven, A Perfect World and The Bridges of Madison County.
So, is Pale Rider underrated ? Maybe ? underrated ? is not the right word.
But it could be underrated because the western genre is rarely taken seriously.
Moreover, when you think about a Clint Eastwood western, Pale Rider is probably not the first one who comes to mind.
I believe that the Sergio Leone movies remain the most popular Clint Eastwood westerns, even if he did not directed them.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »

I'm not sure if it's 'underrated' but I'd have to say after everything said 'Letters From Iwo Jima' is Eastwood's greatest director's achievement.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 02:36:24 PM »

I agree Perry. I don't know if I'd say it's his greatest, but it's definitely up there, and one of his most unexpected!

Hocine, I also quite like "Pale Rider." It's in my top 10. I've actually never seen "Shane" though! I think it is perhaps not seen as one of his best partly because a lot of people feel it was a reimagining of "Shane" and therefore not a wholly original work. 
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 03:25:20 PM »

Yeah, I mean Shane was and is a classic in every capacity. Alan Ladd, George Stevens directing. I liked Pale Rider and I always felt the casting of Michael Moriarity and Carrie Snodgress was interesting. Also, John Russell from the 'Lawman' tv series  who had small bit parts in previous Eastwood movies was solid as Stockburn.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:51:48 AM by Perry » Logged
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 11:59:42 PM »

I'm not sure if it's 'underrated' but I'd have to say after everything said 'Letters From Iwo Jima' is Eastwood's greatest director's achievement.

I agree Perry
I consider Letters From Iwo Jima as the last Clint Eastwood masterpiece
Sometimes, Clint himself quotes this film as one of his favorite films that he directed
It was a box office hit in Japan
The fact that it was mostly in Japanese language did not help it to be successful in America
Most of the actors were unknown in America
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2020, 10:01:18 AM »

I agree Perry. I don't know if I'd say it's his greatest, but it's definitely up there, and one of his most unexpected!

Hocine, I also quite like "Pale Rider." It's in my top 10. I've actually never seen "Shane" though! I think it is perhaps not seen as one of his best partly because a lot of people feel it was a reimagining of "Shane" and therefore not a wholly original work.

Actually, Shane was released in 1953
It is considered as one of the best westerns of all time
Indeed, it influenced many westerns and was probably influenced itself
That theme of a man that we don?t know anything about his past and his future is pretty common in the western genre
However, I am not sure that many people knew the link between Shane and Pale Rider
Pale Rider was successful in 1985, no matter we could think about it
If Pale Rider was underrated, I am not sure that the link with Shane would be the main cause
I think that Pale Rider must be too quiet, too calm if compared with the other westerns that Clint directed

Spoilers for Pale Rider:
For instance, we have to wait the last thirty minutes of the movie, for seeing Clint using his pistol

Maybe the reputation of being an art film works against Pale Rider in moviegoers? mind
Most of people who like Clint in the westerns and action movies probably expect more shootouts, blood and violence than we can see in Pale Rider

Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »

I would add something about a role that Clint portrayed and which is, in my opinion, underrated:
Sergeant Tom Highway in Heartbreak Ridge
First of all, I really like this movie, although I do not consider it among the best Clint Eastwood movies.
However, it is far from being a bad movie.
Heartbreak Ridge is more like Dirty Harry meets Bronco Billy.
Like Sudden Impact or even The Gauntlet, it is seen as an entertaining movie which was supposed to turn into a box office hit.
I see it like a commercial vehicle for Clint, of course, but also like a movie which gives us some clues in order to understand Clint Eastwood screen persona.
Sergeant Tom Highway is in fact a pivotal role in Clint?s career.
This is the first time that Clint openly played an old man or an aging man.
If we see all the characters that Clint played after Heartbreak Ridge, most of them contain a little bit of Sergeant Tom Highway.
Clint?s performance in Heartbreak Ridge is perhaps better than the film itself.
Anyway, this a role that Clint Eastwood can play the rest of his life.
It reminds me an anecdote about what director Howard Hawks told John Wayne, when he introduced Red River movie and Tom Dunson character to him: ? Here is a role that you can play the rest of your life ?
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2020, 10:21:56 AM »

Totally agree Hocine. I think Highway is one of Eastwood# best performances. Tough, funny and at times vulnerable. Pitch perfect

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 06:06:34 PM »

Very well put, Hocine! I love Clint's performance in Heartbreak Ridge.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2020, 10:53:52 AM »

I like Eastwood in Heartbreak, but to be honest Van Peebles over acting got on my nerves after 45 minutes. I'm not really a big fan of the movie.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T