News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: George A. Romero  (Read 5222 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 04, 2006, 02:49:06 PM »

I just noticed George Romero was born February 4, 1940 (so happy birthday wherever he is out there :D). Anyhow, I thought I'd start a general thread for any Romero fans on the board.

The only movie I haven't seen of his is Knightriders. But here's how I'd rank the others I have seen (as always, there's nothing definate about this list, and I've only seen some of the movies once):

1. Martin (1977)
2. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
3. The Crazies (1973)
4. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
5. Day of the Dead (1985)
6. Season of the Witch (1972) AKA: Hungry Wives ::)
7. Land of the Dead (2005)
8. Monkey Shines (1988)
9. Creepshow (1982)
10. Two Evil Eyes (1990)
11. There's Always Vanilla (1971)
12. The Dark Half (1993)
13. Bruiser (2000)

John Amplas as Martin
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 10:48:15 AM »

I like Romero ...... a lot !!!  The man singelhandedly reinvented the zombie movie . Not only that , he's made many fine genre movies including Martin & The Crazies
I'd hoped that Monkey Shines would have done better and introduced him to mainstream audiences but it just did'nt happen .
The fact that his " dead " movies have more social political commentary in them than most so called dramas says a lot to me . I loved his recent Land Of The Dead and hope that its success enables him to direct more movies than he's previously been allowed .
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 01:47:09 PM »

I'd hoped that Monkey Shines would have done better and introduced him to mainstream audiences but it just didn't happen.
Yeah, Monkey Shines is good.

I saw on IMDb that two of his upcoming movies are The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and From a Buick 8, so I'll be interested to see how those turn out. I've never read any of those books, or The Dark Half, for that matter. I thought the movie The Dark Half was okay, but I think I'd probably like the book better.

The only movie I'd call a complete let down would be Bruiser. I suppose I might be a little too harsh about it, but I just couldn't buy the premise of it.

It's a shame more people didn't see Season of the Witch in theaters. But of course, that would have meant they were going to see a movie called Hungry Wives. Talk about bad marketing--this might even be worse than The Beguiled's marketing campaign. Season of the Witch is a bad title too, but it's a little better than Hungry Wives. The best title would have been Jack's Wife, which was the title the movie was shot under.

The fact that his " dead " movies have more social political commentary in them than most so called dramas says a lot to me
You've got another good point there, too. And not just dramas, but probably some documentaries too (it's a shame I don't think I could stomach a Michael Moore film, or else I could go further with this--see Land of the Dead ;))
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 01:51:26 PM by Christopher » Logged
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 07:13:22 PM »

I just love Night Of The Living Dead. The more I think of it, the more I realize it could well be my favorite horror film ever. So great.
Duane Jones performance knocked me on my a**  ;D  Go figure. He's not Brando or Cary Grant, or Eastwood and yet he's the first thing that comes to mind when people mention NOTLD  :D
I think he was awesome.

I saw on IMDb that two of his upcoming movies are The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and From a Buick 8, so I'll be interested to see how those turn out.
Yep, me too.

Stephen King's novels/short stories make great material for film makers  8)
I'm sure Romero will make the best of it  O0

I read The Little Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Really enjoyed the book.
That's one movie I'm definitely looking forward to.
Wonder who's gonna play the little girl. Let's see ... I bet it's gonna be Dakota Fanning  ;D

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 07:49:35 PM »

Jaedyn-Lane LeStat is supposed to play the girl.

But there's a thread on the IMDb that makes it sound as if Romero might not be making this movie, or at least for the time being, so I don't know.

Duane Jones did give a terrific performance, probably the best one in the movie. There is one or two performances in Night that I'm not too sure about, :-\ but what are you going to do on that type of budget? ;)

It's too bad most of the actors in his movies never went on to become really big stars, with the exception of Ed Harris from Knightriders (not counting movies like Creepshow that already had big names in them ;)).
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 03:14:22 AM »

Jaedyn-Lane LeStat is supposed to play the girl.
LeStat?  :o With a name like this, she could have played in a vampire movie  ;) This girl was born to play in horror/Romero films  ;D

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 11:26:34 PM »

I read The Little Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Really enjoyed the book.
That's one movie I'm definitely looking forward to.
Wonder who's gonna play the little girl. Let's see ... I bet it's gonna be Dakota Fanning  ;D

For a couple of years, it could have been me! Except in the postseason ...  :o

P.S., it's actually The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. ;)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 06:31:06 PM »

I watched the documentary Document of the Dead today. Anybody ever see it? A lot of the footage was shot on the set of Dawn of the Dead. Much of the movie shows interviews with Romero and members of the cast and crew. Interesting stuff. I love hearing Romero talk about filmmaking.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 06:29:08 PM »

Romero's Diary of the Dead was in limited release earlier this year, and comes out on DVD later this month.

I was happy to hear he was doing another zombie film. And this one has nothing in common with the other four--it doesn't extend that previous situation any further. And I'm pretty sure it's done in the Blair Witch/Cloverfield style where the footage you see was shot by the characters.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 06:30:38 PM by Christopher » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 07:48:51 PM »

Someone was printing this topic a little bit ago, so I was just looking over it.

I did eventually get around to see Knightriders, which was an okay movie. Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead were both decent too. I thought so, anyhow--not sure if that's the popular opinion. I wouldn't say they're as good as the original Dead movies, but still alright zombie films.

Martin is still a masterpiece, and I oughta watch it again sometime here! 8)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 05:14:21 PM »

I'm pretty pumped about this. The novel The Living Dead is set to release tomorrow (August 4) in the US. George Romero spent years working on the book, and it was left unfinished when he died three years ago. So another writer was brought in to finish the book. I plan on buying the book in a real bookstore tomorrow.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 08:25:48 PM »

Wear a mask!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 01:17:24 PM »

;D I did. I almost wrote in the post that I was going to mask up and go to a bookstore.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T