News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint Eastwood to Direct And Star in Cry Macho for Warner Bros.  (Read 1376 times)
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 12:47:19 PM »

The following is a review of the original book I found a week ago..notice the date it was reviewed....Personally, I'm sure the movie will be a bit different. It doesn't seem Eastwood's character is 90 years old or even a Senior Citizen.....

CRY MACHO

by N. Richard Nash ‧ RELEASE DATE: June 11, 1975

Macho is sexual prowess--the code which bronc riders live by. Mike Milo, 38 and a Texas rodeo star, breaks his leg on a bronc, later is fired by his boss, Howard Polk, for being too old. Mike's macho is slipping. Then Howard offers him $50,000 to kidnap his eleven-year-old son, Rafa, from his Mexican ex-wife. It's Mike's last big chance at a stake for a new business. Once into Mexico City, he finds Rafa has lighted out from his mother's cleanliness mania to become a cockfighting waif. Mike tracks him down, tells the boy his father is muy m . . . . and wants him up north with his rodeo. Along the way, they have a series of misadventures which land them in Janasco, where Mike falls for a Mexican widow with four kids, Rafa takes up illegal cockfighting, and love grows between the boy and his kidnapper while they rope and break wild mustangs in the hills. When the police come down on them, Mike diverts the cops so that Rafa can escape. Wounded, Mike makes it back to Texas but decides to settle for love and his new son Rafa in Janasco. Straight storytelling, perhaps a bit sentimental.
SamanMoradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2020, 03:57:33 AM »

Hi guys, I'm back. I lost my previous account, My bad.
Now that I'm here again I must say that this new project is so thrilling to me. it's a simple story with a theme that has always been with Clint Eastwood's filmography and that is "redemption". it's a redemption story that reminds us of Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino and of course, Unforgiven. and here I found this amazing casting call on facebook which declares filming will take place in November and December, 2020. Also, it provides a great plot of the movie. tell me what you think?

https://www.facebook.com/deafwesttheatre/posts/10158778280799855
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »

Yeah, that does parallel in some areas those other movies...Interesting story.
SamanMoradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »

My takes on this story/movie with a closer look at the book:
1. The protagonist of the story is in his 40s, and Clint Eastwood is 90. here are two possibilities: a) Clint Eastwood plays the lead character, and that's where Nick Schenk's presence makes sense. (He obviously is an expert in creating old characters) b) Clint Eastwood won't play the lead, Instead he will play HOWARD POLK.
2. Making a movie during this pandemic is quite a challenge. we shall wait and see how Clint pulls this one out.
3. this is one of the very rare occasions when Clint Eastwood shoots a movie in winter. this means that the movie should/could be presented at Cannes, 2021. Clint has a rich Cannes background.
4. Seeing him in front of cameras again, at 90, in New Mexico, is just so sexy already.
5. Cry Macho is probably the most Eastwoodian story out there.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 04:42:31 PM »

November/December of 2020 is a much faster production timeline than I was expecting. I had thought they may want to wait until summer 2021 if the plan is to release in winter 2021, as the original article announcing this suggested. If they are already seeking extras, that must mean this project is officially a go. If it's to start filming in November, we should be hearing casting news soon! I always find learning who else will share the screen with Clint to be exciting!

SamanMoradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 05:04:51 AM »

if you want to know more about the book, this one is illuminating also.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/arnold-schwarzeneggers-canceled-film-how-cry-macho-parallels-his-own-scandal

share your thoughts.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 08:17:20 AM »

Hello everybody :)

Great news ! Clint will be back before and behind the camera ! It is so exciting !

This Cry Macho project sounds good and promising: a simple story about redemption and based on a novel, which seems made for Clint
Thematically, it seems close to The Mule, Gran Torino and so many movies that Clint made
So, yes, Cry Macho can be considered as an Eastwoodian project
Cry Macho could be a road movie like A Perfect World or Honkytonk Man too

I did not expect Clint to star in a film so soon
After Richard Jewell, his next project was not clearly announced
Even if a project, which would lead him in Hawaii, was once announced
Cry Macho was attached to many actors in the past (Burt Lancaster, Pierce Brosnan, Roy Scheider and Arnold Schwarzenegger) before coming back to Clint
By the way, I did not know that Clint was attached to that project in the late eighties and his biographies said nothing about that, if I am not wrong
I am not sure that the film will take place in the seventies, when I read the casting notice
I am curious to know more about the cast: will there be some well known actors like in The Mule or some unknown actors like in Gran Torino ?

I hope that Clint will be able to make Cry Macho, in spite of the hard times in the movie industry
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2020, 08:48:06 AM »

Hi guys, I'm back. I lost my previous account, My bad.
Now that I'm here again I must say that this new project is so thrilling to me. it's a simple story with a theme that has always been with Clint Eastwood's filmography and that is "redemption". it's a redemption story that reminds us of Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino and of course, Unforgiven. and here I found this amazing casting call on facebook which declares filming will take place in November and December, 2020. Also, it provides a great plot of the movie. tell me what you think?

https://www.facebook.com/deafwesttheatre/posts/10158778280799855

Welcome back to you, Saman Moradkhani !

Well, in my opinion, Clint will be in a familiar territory with Cry Macho

That title sounds perfect for a Clint Eastwood movie

I am happy for him that he is still working at his age: it is amazing and uncommon in Hollywood

Screenwriter Nick Schenk will probably adapt the story and the main character to Clint's screen persona

I hope that Clint will deliver an other great performance

I am just wondering how faithful the movie will be to the novel

When the project was still attached to Arnold Schwarzenegger, a decade ago, producer Albert S. Ruddy said that at the end of the movie, he wanted the movie goers to laugh and cry
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2020, 09:13:47 AM »

if you want to know more about the book, this one is illuminating also.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/arnold-schwarzeneggers-canceled-film-how-cry-macho-parallels-his-own-scandal

share your thoughts.

Well, I am not sure that all the details depicted in that article will be kept by Nick Schenck but who knows ?

Logically, he will adapt the story and the character to Clint, who is 90 now

At least, these details reveal a more complex story than I thought

It may be an opportunity for Clint to deal with his own relationship with women but I don't know

Clint has already did that in The Beguiled, Play Misty for Me, Tightrope and The Bridges of Madison County

At first sight, Cry Macho seems to be a father-son story

SamanMoradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2020, 12:49:55 PM »

Cry Macho shooting starts on November 4th and will be wrapped on December 16th. Clint plays the lead. what do you think? can we call this drama an award friendly project?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2020, 07:21:32 PM »

Judging by Clint's recent projects and the response of the awards-awarding crowd: No.

If it wraps on December 16th, it will still be a while before it's ready for release (even given Clint's "warp speed" in finishing his projects). Not sure about awards season rules during the pandemic, but it certainly won't be a 2020 calendar-year release.
SamanMoradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2020, 02:25:29 AM »

Judging by Clint's recent projects and the response of the awards-awarding crowd: No.

If it wraps on December 16th, it will still be a while before it's ready for release (even given Clint's "warp speed" in finishing his projects). Not sure about awards season rules during the pandemic, but it certainly won't be a 2020 calendar-year release.

Yes, it is most likely a 2021 release film. a much more crowded calendar for award-related motion pictures. I hope the best comes for Clint Eastwood again.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2020, 04:21:53 AM »

Talking about awards before a film even starts shooting. Give me a break! ::)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2020, 07:49:03 AM »

🤣🤣

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2020, 04:39:32 AM »

I?m with KC. I don?t think this is going to be the kind of film that gets Eastwood any Oscar nominations. To be eligible, the film would have to be released by February 28, 2021, and even if it were that type of film, it won?t be ready to be released by then. This sounds to me more like a crowd pleaser, like The Mule and Gran Torino were.
SamanMoradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2020, 12:22:58 PM »

with this pandemic at its peak, it's hard to call any movie 'crowd pleaser'. (MGM is considering selling No Time to Die to Apple or Netflix) Maybe this is just another passion project for Clint and of course Al Ruddy who has waited several decades to have this movie made. Once he said that he refused to give up this script to big studios so he can make it independently. "This could be a classic" added Mr. Ruddy in an interview.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2020, 05:42:32 AM »

I suppose that what matters to Clint is just making movies
As Pierre Rissient said once, making movies is his last frontier
He almost won everything
He was a box office draw for many years in a row
He made many great movies
He seemed to be an Oscar darling from 2004 and 2007 but not anymore

I just hope that he will be able to accomplish this Cry Macho project
In your opinion, who could play Howard Polk?
Do you think that Clint will share the screen with other big names?
SamanMoradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 02:00:50 PM »

This is just crazy. the movie starts shooting next week, and there is absolutely no information on who is gonna be in the movie, who is the DoP, who is editing and so on. this kind of anonymity is so weird. this movie is basically in shadow mode.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: Today at 04:16:31 PM »

I found this article from Albuquerque Journal, which deals with Cry Macho production
The film will be shot in the Albuquerque area, New Mexico

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abqjournal.com/1511464/clint-eastwood-to-bring-cry-macho-to-nm-for-production.html/amp

According to this article, the film will take place in 1978: the production is looking for cars from 1960?s to 1978
However, no details about the cast, the DoP and the editor

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T