News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jessica Walter, who played Evelyn in "Play Misty for Me," has died at 80  (Read 2037 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: March 25, 2021, 12:20:12 PM »

Jessica Walter, the award-winning actress whose career spanned five decades, passed away in her sleep at home in New York City on Wednesday, March 24. She was 80.

Walter?s career included everything from a standout turn in Clint Eastwood?s directorial debut, Play Misty for Me, to The Flamingo Kid and her Emmy-nominated turns on Trapper John M..D. and Streets of San Francisco. For her performance as Lucille Bluth in Arrested Development, Walter earned yet another Emmy nomination (Outstanding Supporting Actress) and two SAG nominations.

Walter won an Emmy starring in Amy Prentiss, an Ironside spinoff in the mid-1970s about a young San Francisco police detective. She also voiced Malory Archer on FXX?s animated series Archer.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/jessica-walter-dead-actress-arrested-development-1234721873/
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 12:53:46 PM »

Sad to come across this news a little bit ago. I love her performance in Play Misty for Me.

And I was just thinking it seemed like I'd seen a clip of her working with George Segal, who just recently passed as well, and found that they did a short run series several years ago called Retired at 35 (doesn't that sound appealing?).
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:01:53 PM »

Very sorry to hear this news. R.I.P.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/arts/television/jessica-walter-dead.html

Jessica Walter, Tart-Tongued Matriarch of 'Arrested Development,' Dies at 80

An Emmy Award-winning actress, she gained early fame in Clint Eastwood's "Play Misty for Me" and found a new audience in a cult TV hit.

Jessica Walter, who capped a six-decade acting career with her portrayal of the oblivious, self-involved and beautifully dressed Lucille Bluth on the cult sitcom "Arrested Development," died on Wednesday at her home in Manhattan. She was 80.

Jessica Walter and Clint Eastwood in the 1971 film "Play Misty for Me." Credit...Universal Pictures

Ms. Walter was 30 when she starred in "Play Misty for Me" (1971) as a radio fan who falls--hard, fast and psychotically--for a handsome young Northern California disc jockey (Clint Eastwood, making his directorial debut). She transforms from call-in admirer with a sexy voice to one-night stand (well, two) to stalker to suicidal visitor to homicidal slasher. It was clear from the beginning that the character had anger management issues.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:32:58 PM by KC » Logged
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 07:37:31 PM »

Extremely underrated actress. She should had won at least the Golden Globes award for her performance in Misty'. I once many years ago read an interview with Eastwood where he was saying he liked the movie The Group' very much and it was probably why he ended up working with three  terrific actors from that movie ultimately in Walters, Elizabeth Hartman and Hal Holbrook.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 06:32:28 PM »

The Times obit, which I linked to and quoted from two posts up, was extensively revised and enlarged before it finally appeared in print on March 28. Among other things, it now offers a much meatier description of Ms. Walter's role in Misty. I've revised the quotes from it accordingly.
James54

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 05:34:48 AM »

So sad news. I will dearly miss her. As I saw few films with her, I liked her in Archer the most. One of my favorite shows until the last season has been aired (it was crap). RIP
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T