News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: An upcoming project for Clint ?  (Read 2118 times)
Hocine

View Profile Email
« on: May 14, 2021, 03:32:25 AM »

Hi everyone,

I was googling "malpaso productions" and I found an article from Variety, which was posted last month

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/kandell-brothers-robert-zemeckis-mr-lucky-apple-studios-1234951829/

That article is basically about twin screenwriters Aaron and Jordan Kandell and their upcoming projects

In the fifth paragraph of that article, among several projects, it is mentionned that the Kandell Brothers "are also attached to produce "Conviction", from writer Chris K.T.Bright, which Malpaso Productions is making for Warner Bros."

So, I googled "Conviction, Chris K.T.Bright" and I found a synopsis on that upcoming project here: https://www.chrisktbright.com/films

Here it is:

CONVICTION
Written by Chris Kekaniokalani Bright
Feature Film | 2020 | Currently in pre-production | Produced by Aaron and Jordan Kandell
The incredible true story of the final trial of Clarence Darrow, the greatest attorney of the 20th century who for the first and only time in his career was fighting for the wrong side. Darrow defends a wealthy white family caught murdering a native Hawaiian boy whom they wrongfully accused of raping their daughter.

That synopsis mentions "a native Hawaiian boy" and I thought that that project may be the one that Clint was supposed to do in Hawaii, if you remember

So, what do you think about that ? After Cry Macho, could it be Clint next film, which would be a return to films based on true stories ?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 07:26:27 AM »

This is a great find, Hocine. This sounds like it could be that project to me. I can see Clint being attracted to this story.
honkytonkman

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 11:36:22 AM »

The subject is close to "Mystic River" , with the question of self-justice and human mistakes ...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 11:54:07 AM by honkytonkman » Logged
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 08:03:01 PM »

This is a great find, Hocine. This sounds like it could be that project to me. I can see Clint being attracted to this story.

Thank you, AKA23
Yes, at first sight, that story seems to have the profile for becoming a Clint Eastwood film
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 08:10:35 PM »

The subject is close to "Mystic River" , with the question of self-justice and human mistakes ...

I thought about Mystic River too
I also thought about Changeling because it would be a period film set in the 1930s and because of the trial
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 08:19:42 PM »

If that project was confirmed as Clint next film, which actor would you like to see portraying Clarence Darrow ?
honkytonkman

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 03:27:45 PM »

Kevin Spacey, definitely ... (As long as we let Clint take risks ... , one more or one less ...)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 03:28:55 PM by honkytonkman » Logged
honkytonkman

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 03:34:16 PM »

And I assure you that I didn't mean to say Kevin Spacey on purpose ... 3 minutes after writing it I did a little research, and I came across this: https://www.oldvictheatre.com/whats-on/2015/clarence-darrow-2  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 01:32:36 AM »

And I assure you that I didn't mean to say Kevin Spacey on purpose ... 3 minutes after writing it I did a little research, and I came across this: https://www.oldvictheatre.com/whats-on/2015/clarence-darrow-2  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very interesting
I did not know that Kevin Spacey portrayed Clarence Darrow on stage
However, I am not sure that Warner Bros would let Clint taking the risk to hire him, even if Kevin Spacey was legally allowed to work in movie business
That Clarence Darrow character needs to be portrayed by a charismatic actor for sure
Someone like Gary Oldman, Anthony Hopkins, Robert De Niro or Al Pacino
I have always wanted to see Clint working with De Niro and Pacino but that did not happen
batfunk2

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 10:25:45 AM »

I had indeed noted this fact while watching the wiki page on Clarence Darrow. I like Kevin Spacey but I doubt he wants to take the same role, even black listed) and especially that Eastwood would jeopardize his career (he loves filming and he has  still 10-15 years of career at most).
In addition, Clarence Darrow was 75 years old at the time of the incident. I would have liked to see actors like Morgan Freeman or Denzel Washington, who impose a kind of wisdom. This would further complicate the scenario (a black lawyer who defends a white family accused of the murder of a young "black" man) but we would move away from the historical truth.
Mark Ruffalo would be perfect but he's too young. Tom Hanks too, but he has worked with Eastwood before. Strangely, I would like to see Michael Douglas, who has definitely convinced me recently as an actor: he is wonderful in Wonder Boys by Curtis Hanson and My life with Liberace by Soderbergh ! : D

But i would love to see Pacino or De Niro too :-)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:29:52 AM by batfunk2 » Logged
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 08:08:24 AM »

First of all, that project has to be officially confirmed as Clint next film.
Variety just stated that Malpaso Productions was making it for Warner Bros, with no more details.

I remember that after Sully came out, Impossible Odds was announced as Clint next film but finally, he did not make it.
So, we never know.

About the actor who could portray Clarence Darrow, there are so many possibilities. A charismatic actor who can carry a film would be better.

I think that that project could be an other opportunity for Clint to depict American society and to deal with some social subjects like racism and justice.

To be honest, although I will always be enthusiastic about Clint new projects, I am focused on Cry Macho by now. Actually, I have to say that I am a lot more excited by Cry Macho than by that Conviction project.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:13:43 AM by Hocine » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 01:46:25 PM »

When I first heard about this project, I thought of Denzel Washington as well. I'd really love to see Clint work with Denzel Washington. I think he's one of the best actors working today and one of the more versatile, but I agree, since Clarence Darrow is white, the character has to be white as well. It's important to be historically accurate. I don't think Clint would choose Kevin Spacey, since that would take the focus off of the film and onto Spacey's alleged abusive behavior, and also likely depress the box office and critical reception of the film, which Clint and Warners won't want to do.

I agree with Hocine that I'm more excited by "Cry Macho" than I am about this potential future project, since Clint is acting in it! But, as true life stories go, I think this has a more compelling story line than many of the others that Clint has done, and it also has similar themes to other Clint projects that were quite successful, so it sounds like it could be a promising project.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 08:09:33 PM »

Too bad George C. Scott isn't around anymore. He would had been perfect even though he dissed Eastwood in a Playboy interview years ago....
batfunk2

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 01:22:23 PM »

Yes, George C. Scott would have been perfect, an actor who imposed it physically, with a strong verb and a well-hidden vulnerability.He was immense in the drama, especially in The New Centurions by Richard Fleischer or Hardcore by Paul Schrader ...
Both projects interest me just as much, Cry Macho will be an excellent melodrama and the other film will once again deepen Eastwood's reflection on justice.It is a logical sequel to Richard Jewell, who himself succeeded to other films like Mystic River or True Crime.
Really impatient to discover these two movies:-)
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 03:44:41 PM »

When I first heard about this project, I thought of Denzel Washington as well. I'd really love to see Clint work with Denzel Washington. I think he's one of the best actors working today and one of the more versatile, but I agree, since Clarence Darrow is white, the character has to be white as well. It's important to be historically accurate. I don't think Clint would choose Kevin Spacey, since that would take the focus off of the film and onto Spacey's alleged abusive behavior, and also likely depress the box office and critical reception of the film, which Clint and Warners won't want to do.

I agree with Hocine that I'm more excited by "Cry Macho" than I am about this potential future project, since Clint is acting in it! But, as true life stories go, I think this has a more compelling story line than many of the others that Clint has done, and it also has similar themes to other Clint projects that were quite successful, so it sounds like it could be a promising project.

Yes, Denzel Washington is obviously a great actor.
He could have portrayed Butch Haynes in A Perfect World, since Clint thought of him for the part.
But Warners wanted Kevin Costner to play the part instead.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 03:56:19 PM »

Yes, George C. Scott would have been perfect, an actor who imposed it physically, with a strong verb and a well-hidden vulnerability.He was immense in the drama, especially in The New Centurions by Richard Fleischer or Hardcore by Paul Schrader ...
Both projects interest me just as much, Cry Macho will be an excellent melodrama and the other film will once again deepen Eastwood's reflection on justice.It is a logical sequel to Richard Jewell, who himself succeeded to other films like Mystic River or True Crime.
Really impatient to discover these two movies:-)

George C. Scott was great. I like his performance in The Hustler, The New Centurions and Hardcore.
I have to see Patton.
Some sources stated that he was offered the role of Harry Callahan but he turned it down.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 04:02:24 PM »

If you would like to see Henry Fonda portraying Clarence Darrow in 1974, it is here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjCDaI8KBmw
batfunk2

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 07:46:39 PM »

George C. Scott was great. I like his performance in The Hustler, The New Centurions and Hardcore.
I have to see Patton.
Some sources stated that he was offered the role of Harry Callahan but he turned it down.

What ? You have not seen Patton yet ?  :o Shame on you !  ;) A real masterpiece and Franklin J. Schaffner directed a few(Patton, Planet of Apes, Papillon). Scott, as a Julius Caesar lost in 20th century, is incredible :D.

I'm glad He refused the role of Dirty Harry, it would have been a miscasting. According to me, Dirty Harry is an action movie(an excellent one), which needed a one sided, tough and athletic hero. Eastwood was perfect for this role in those times. Scott's acting was too much nuanced for such a character.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2021, 02:16:45 PM »

Well, in the Playboy interview With George C. Scott which was conducted from I remember in the early 80's with Lawrence Grobel, Scott discusses a few movies that were offered to him that he turned down and a few movies he did and when asked about Paul Newman's performance in 'The Hustler' Scott says it was 'average'. Scott when asked about Charles Bronson's performance in 'Death Wish' which Scott turned down as well he from I remember liked Bronson's performance, but when asked by Grobel about Eastwood's performance in 'Dirty Harry' his response was, " Well, it was typical where they were going with it..."...
batfunk2

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 03:30:53 PM »

Hahaha,funny Scott's answer. I'm not suprised, he believed in movies and acting as  uncompromised arts. He refused two Oscar nominations, one for The Hustler and one for Patton.
 Too bad, He would have been perfect in Death Wish, which is very smart movie about self-justice, contrary to it's next instalments. But i agree , Bronson is good in it, as Eastwood in Dirty Harry
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T