News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dirty Harry reboot debate: Casting of Jeffrey Dean Morgan  (Read 308 times)
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« on: August 29, 2021, 07:44:48 PM »

Yes, I admit I create these posts to upset people and cause all kinds of mayhem. Buuuuut the board seems quiet and Ill admit.....I have a little time to think on it.

So, as we agree that Harry Callahan is, despite all critics notions, a VERY complex character that is not a one trick pony, would we see someone like Jeffrey Dean Morgan as having the chops to play him in a reboot?

Aint I a stinker? :)

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Klas

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 04:01:46 PM »

I think Benjamin Bratt would be good.  Got the silent tough guy look and I think he can pull the slow anger off.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 01:26:37 PM »

BDC, can you explain why you think he'd be a good fit for the role? What is it about him that is a fit for you?

I think for me, I'd prefer that Dirty Harry not be rebooted with anyone. But, this question assumes that's going to happen, so if that turns out to be the case, I'd like to see Timothy Olyphant from "Justified" in the role. It's a crime drama series, and plays kind of like a Western, and Olyphant places a US Marshal on "Netflix." Have you ever seen that? To me, many of his mannerisms, the way he spoke, his use of humor, and the way he carried himself seemed to be inspired by Clint Eastwood. His portrayal in that show seemed very Eastwoodian, while at the same time maintaining his own character, so I think he'd be a good fit for the role. I really like "Justified"!
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 01:54:53 PM »

AKA23 hi again.

I admit I have thought of Olyphant (good pull by the way) for Harry...Ill admit on a TV show level, Rayland may be the coolest character...short of Kojak, that has EVER existed. It would be almost a seamless transition....except....

....and I say this VERY VERY cautiously...lol....

In my assumptive reboot world...where I am assessing passing the mantle...there is one thing that bothers me a little about Olyphant. Harry, seems to have some dirt under his fingernails. Hes a cop by trade, but hes does non cop things (picks locks, carry a switchblade). Its almost implied that hes been out in the street and has some grub on him.

Now can you pick a human being, that looks more like they are covered in grub, than Jeffrey Dean Morgan in ANY role he has ever played? LOL. A bit of the mystique of him, in my opinion, is just that.

Where I will give Olyphant ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND on the cool points....for both Justified AND Deadwood....he just seems a bit...clean? Too good to be Dirty Harry.

To me it has to look like Harry could, with any given bad day, teeter on being the bad guy.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 05:29:27 PM »

I had to look up Jeffrey Dean Morgan. I've seen some things that he's been in but I don't remember him specifically in any of those. I do know who Olyphant is and I agree he could possibly pull it off. His son is mentioned in these type of conversations sometimes, but I haven't seen enough of Scott Eastwood to know if he could pull it off. I don't think he has the screen presence of Clint.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 03:01:52 PM »

I can't even believe this conversation.......
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 04:37:30 PM »

I don't know if anyone is saying they want it to happen, it's just a thread about who might be able to do it. A discussion for a discussion board. I'm a bit surprised no one has tried for real to do it yet.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T