News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Harry, Scorpio and the Yellow Bag" contest  (Read 19685 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2003, 05:45:21 PM »

Hi Matt, what day and time would this work out for me?
-stranger-

Stranger, I think you're five hours ahead of us.  2:30 EST would be 7:30 PM on Saturday for you.
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2003, 06:09:09 PM »

Would they be factual questions Matt, or would you need the film with you to actually watch, say a question was...
How many steps did Clint run down... etc etc
I'm asking all this, and I don't really have an idea of how the game will work yet???
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2003, 06:43:53 PM »

The game's gonna be a race, it shouldn't take more than 45 minutes or so.  There will be maybe 20 questions that will have multiple choice answers.  All the questions will be found within the film (no behind-the-scenes trivia) and if you've watched a handful of times, you'll be able to answer them.  There shouldn't be anything there that you couldn't get.

I suppose it's time to really explain the nitty gritty details of this contest, huh?  *deep breath* I'll give that a go in a few minutes. It's hard to explain, but if I can make you "Harry's" understand it (I managed to explain it to my Scorpios, but it took some work) then you'll see that it won't be hard at all.  I wanted this contest to be something that even moderate Eastwood fans could participate in and have fun with.  I hope everyone who plays will enjoy it. :)

Okay, give me a few minutes to put together a post explaining this one.
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2003, 06:52:20 PM »

SO IS IT TOO LATE TO JOIN IN MATT?
WHEN ARE YOU STARTING IT?
-STRANGER-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2003, 06:56:01 PM »

I'll keep taking people until the last minute.  I wanted to have a "sign up" to make sure we had enough people participating, especially since the board has been... well, just a little dead lately.

So, after I explain this, if anyone still wants to let us know they'll play, I'd really appreciate knowing in advance about how many people we'll have so we can maybe drum up a few extra Scorpios to play too.

Okay, hang on ...  my first attempt at explaining this contest is coming up next.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 07:20:05 PM by Matt » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2003, 07:09:25 PM »

Matt ,

I think Stanger and I are 7 hours ahead . If the board's clock is correct .

I have changed the diff on my profile thanks for that info .

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2003, 07:14:21 PM »

We're going to do an internet version of the yellow bag scene from Dirty Harry.  Each player going for a prize will be a "Harry" and will be assigned his/her own "Scorpio."  Each "Scorpio" will have the same set of trivia questions for their Harry(s) pre-typed and ready to cut/paste into PM's.  The race will begin with a post on the board by "The Scorpio Killer" which will tell every "Harry" a location to meet him.  This game-starting post will end with a "ring ... ring... ring...."  And the contest is off and running.

At this point, every "Harry" will PM their own assigned "Scorpio" with only one word "Callahan" and wait for a reply... which, since this is a race, will be coming quickly.   So players should keep checking their Private Messages often.  Once you've "answered the phone", you will be asked a trivia question (once again, only from the original Dirty Harry movie.)  You will be given four multiple choice answers.  You will answer with the question # (which will be in your "Scorpio's" PM to you) and the letter of the multiple choice answer, and you should also type out the answer (to avoid confusion for the "Scorpios", since this should run very quickly).  If you are right, your "Scorpio" will write you back with the next location, and once again, the PM will end with the "ring... ring... ring..." Which has to be answered "Callahan" to get the next trivia question.   If, however, you answer a question incorrectly, your "Scorpio" will hang up and call back again.  You will be asked the same question again.  You will attempt the next answer.  If it's right, you move on.  If not, Scorpio will hang up and call again.  This will delay you, making your chances of winning slimmer.

The object is to be the first "Harry" to arrive at Mt. Davidson Park and answer the final trivia question correctly.  As soon as a "Scorpio" receives the final answer correctly, he will post on the board that he has a winner.  So, the only posts on the board will be the first post by "Scorpio Killer" and the post by whoever is the "Scorpio" with the winning "Harry".

Now, I know this sounds confusing as hell, and I think it's just harder to explain than it will be to play out.  So, read that through a few times if it doesn't make sense, and feel free to hit me with as many questions as you'd like.

One thing I should explain... the "location" that is given to you by your Scorpio doesn't matter at all in the game. It's just there for fun.  But when you see "Go to Mt. Davidson Park" you'll know you're almost there.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 07:24:23 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2003, 07:15:47 PM »

Matt ,

I think Stanger and I are 7 hours ahead . If the board's clock is correct .

I have changed the diff on my profile thanks for that info .

Philo .

You're 7 hours ahead of the board time, but 5 hours ahead of EST.   So, the time would still be 7:30 PM on Saturday for you.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2003, 07:29:47 PM »

Oh I see ,

you are also different from board time .

Well thanks for the tip on the profile change .

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2003, 07:33:26 PM »

I believe the board is in Cal's timezone... since he's the owner.   :D

You're welcome.  Glad to help out.  (Of course, the time adjustments will only work for you when you're logged in. If you just check the board quickly without logging in, they'll show up in Mountain time again.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2003, 08:34:12 PM »

We're going to do an internet version of the yellow bag scene from Dirty Harry.  Each player going for a prize will be a "Harry" and will be assigned his/her own "Scorpio."  Each "Scorpio" will have the same set of trivia questions for their Harry(s) pre-typed and ready to cut/paste into PM's.  The race will begin with a post on the board by "The Scorpio Killer" which will tell every "Harry" a location to meet him.  This game-starting post will end with a "ring ... ring... ring...."  And the contest is off and running.

At this point, every "Harry" will PM their own assigned "Scorpio" with only one word "Callahan" and wait for a reply... which, since this is a race, will be coming quickly.   So players should keep checking their Private Messages often.  Once you've "answered the phone", you will be asked a trivia question (once again, only from the original Dirty Harry movie.)  You will be given four multiple choice answers.  You will answer with the question # (which will be in your "Scorpio's" PM to you) and the letter of the multiple choice answer, and you should also type out the answer (to avoid confusion for the "Scorpios", since this should run very quickly).  If you are right, your "Scorpio" will write you back with the next location, and once again, the PM will end with the "ring... ring... ring..." Which has to be answered "Callahan" to get the next trivia question.   If, however, you answer a question incorrectly, your "Scorpio" will hang up and call back again.  You will be asked the same question again.  You will attempt the next answer.  If it's right, you move on.  If not, Scorpio will hang up and call again.  This will delay you, making your chances of winning slimmer.

The object is to be the first "Harry" to arrive at Mt. Davidson Park and answer the final trivia question correctly.  As soon as a "Scorpio" receives the final answer correctly, he will post on the board that he has a winner.  So, the only posts on the board will be the first post by "Scorpio Killer" and the post by whoever is the "Scorpio" with the winning "Harry".

Now, I know this sounds confusing as hell, and I think it's just harder to explain than it will be to play out.  So, read that through a few times if it doesn't make sense, and feel free to hit me with as many questions as you'd like.

One thing I should explain... the "location" that is given to you by your Scorpio doesn't matter at all in the game. It's just there for fun.  But when you see "Go to Mt. Davidson Park" you'll know you're almost there.

:o :o :o
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2003, 09:46:42 AM »

2:30 next Saturday should be all right, but I'm not quite sure yet.

And I think I have a handle on the directions. Basically, it's just whenever you get a PM that has "ring... ring... ring" you answer it, "Callahan," then wait for the next question. Right?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2003, 10:12:58 AM »

Right.  You got it.  8)
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2003, 11:06:06 AM »

;D from Matt

I don't know what you're on bruv, but i'd like 2oz of it sent over here pronto! ;D ;D ;D ;D

OK, so I take it the Scorpio's will have an advance set of the Q and A's? ???
As they are basically working as a team, does that mean that the Scorpio could send the Q & A's to their Harry in advance? ???

When is the teaming up done?
Do we know who our Scorpio or Harry is in advance?
Can I be a Harry if I wanted?

::) Sorry I did'nt have a good sleep... :-\

-Stranger-

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2003, 11:16:09 AM »

Yes, the "Scorpios" will have the exact same sheet of questions to cut & paste to their "Harrys".  The Scorpios are trustworthy, so far it's me, KC and mgk.

Yes, you can be a Harry, Stranger.  As for when we'll be pairing up the Harrys with their Scorpios, probably close to when we start the contest.
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2003, 11:24:00 AM »

;D Ahhh all is clear (I think) yeah I'd like to be a Harry if it's available?
So this is for next Saturday right?
(and sending you a PM now)
-Stranger-

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2003, 11:34:29 AM »

Yup, Saturday a week from today we'll do it.  We can still use more Harrys if anyone still wants to sign up.  I've got you down, Stranger. :)

Like I said, trying to explain the contest was the hard part. I think everyone playing will get the hang of it right away, it's not really confusing, just a little hard to explain.   :-\
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2003, 06:29:31 AM »

ok, now I think I understand.Ive re-read this a few times, and it doesnt sound so complicated.At first, I thought it worked on points, you know, like if you had a wrong answer, scorpio just moved on to the next question and puts points to the questions you got right. But now I get it, its a race, so you have as many shots to the questions as you want to (welll 4 I guess, unless youre REALLY confused ;D ) until you get it right, and the first one to answer them all gets to mount davison. And the question doesnt come in the same PM as the "ring ring ring" right?Ok, have I got this right? (sorry if my understanding of the explanation is even more confusing than the explenation  ;Dl)

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2003, 06:46:30 AM »

You got it, Misty.  It's really pretty easy.  In a PM you'll either see a "ring... ring... ring..." at the end, in which case you'd reply "Callahan".  Or, you'll get a trivia question with multiple choice answers to respond to.  That's pretty much all there is to it. :)
DirtyDuffy45

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2003, 04:14:12 AM »

I work 10 am to 6 pm on saturday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T