News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about a line in A Perfect World  (Read 6632 times)
shabby chic

View Profile Email
« on: December 11, 2002, 05:36:39 PM »

Where does the body in the trunk come from?  He was not killed by Costner, but probably by the inmate who escaped with Costner.  And why Does Red (Eastwood) say something about a beaucrat when he opens the trunk and finds the body?  Please explain.
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2002, 06:22:17 PM »

The body in the trunk, found after Butch and Buzz steal the farmer's car, is the man who owned that car, the man that Butch and Pugh kidnapped in order to get out of the prison gates. Butch wears his red jacket through much of the first part of the film.

In the film as is, we don't see the specifics on-screen of where or who killed him exactly, but it had to be Pugh as Butch later tells Buzz he's only killed two men in his life: one that was trying to hurt his mother (the incident Sally Gerber retells from his youth that was basically ignored by the New Orleans police because of the seedy nature of the situation), and one that was trying to hurt Phillp (that being the vile Pugh, of course).

Hope that helps.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2002, 09:10:40 PM »

Holden is correct. A few more details:

The dead man is "Larry," an assistant warden—a bureaucrat, in fact—at Huntsville State Prison, from which Butch and Pugh escape at the film's beginning. They overpower Larry and take his gun, then force him to drive out past the guard as they hide in the back; the guard waves the car on out with "Night, Larry." Pugh mockingly echoes, "Night, Larry," and you hear the gun being cocked as he thrusts it behind Larry's ear.

It's to be assumed Larry is shot shortly thereafter, but you don't see the killing, and his body isn't shown until Red and his team (following Red's hunch) discover it in the abandoned car.

Meanwhile, Red and the others have no way of knowing that Larry is already dead, so they assume the escapees have two hostages (after they kidnap little Phillip Perry). There's some talk about this in the trailer during the first part of the "manhunt."

SALLY GERBER: Their situation is one of accommodation. So I don't think they'll be together long ...

ADLER: What about the hostages? What are they gonna do, flip a coin to see who gets to keep who?

SALLY: It's happened before. Either way, it's a dilemma they'll address soon. That's why we gotta address it now.

RED: Well, we don't have a dilemma. Neither do they. They'll simply get rid of one hostage and keep the other, if they haven't done so already.

I haven't got a copy of the screenplay, but in the novelization, which is closely based on it, there are a couple more lines of dialogue that aren't in the finished film:

"Okay, two are hard work to handle," Sally said. "Which one do you get rid of?"

"If they run into a snafu—a trap, a standoff," Red said, still not looking at her, "who's John Q. Public more likely to give a rat's ass about? An innocent boy or a goddamn bureaucrat?"

That is what Red is referring to when he opens the trunk of Larry's car, finds the body inside, and remarks, "There's our bureaucrat."

KC
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 01:36:50 AM »

I take it back about not having a screenplay for A Perfect World ... I'd just forgotten where I put it.  ::)

Here's the end of that scene in the trailer that I quoted above, as iit appeared in the screenplay:

RED: We don't have a dilemma. And neither do they. They'll  keep one hostage ... and get rid of one, if they haven't already.

SALLY: Okay ... which one?

RED: If there's a SNAFU, who's John Q. Public more likely to give a rat's ass about—An innocent boy or a goddamn bureaucrat?

KC
shabby chic

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 09:49:11 AM »

Thanks.  That helps.  It's been bothering me.  BTW, is that a shooting script, or is that pulled from the finished film?  I'm curious to see how much dialogue Eastwood changes as a director.  Does anybody know?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 10:55:29 PM »

The script I have is pre-production, undated, but I'd assume it's pretty close to the one they had when the cameras started rolling. The novelization follows it closely, and actually, so does the finished film, with some exceptions. For instance, there's a convenience store robbery in the script that takes place before the kidnapping of Phillip; I've always rather regretted that it's not in the film because I think it really brings home to the audience how dangerous the escapees are (you don't see the killing in the convenience store either, but you glimpse a body on the floor). There's also a flashback to Butch's childhood in the New Orleans brothel; this was actually shot, but not used in the film. A nice e-Bay seller who lives in El Paso, Texas, once sent me a whole "documentary" put together from local television coverage of this shoot, and it included a bit about the shooting of this scene.

I'd say the dialogue that did make it into the film is pretty close to the dialogue as it's written in the screenplay, though I've never made a point by point comparison.

KC
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2002, 11:26:44 PM »

If those scenes (New Orleans flashback) were shot, why didnt the WB put them on the DVD? Oh, wait, becuase its the WB, and they dont care about Clint Eastwood.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T