News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EVERY WHICH WAY: Audience Reaction 6. Favorite Eastwood Comedy?  (Read 3485 times)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: July 13, 2003, 09:21:05 PM »

How does Every Which Way But Loose rank against Eastwood's other comedies: Kelly's Heroes, Bronco Billy, Any Which Way You Can, City Heat, Pink Cadillac, and Space Cowboys?
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 10:34:50 AM »

I havent seen this movie in a long time, but it really isn't my favourite Eastwood comedy.

I really love Kelly's Heroes and Space Cowboys so those two rank up top. Then I suppose this one comes in third with its sequel fourth.

Pink Cadillac is way at the bottom. It's still fifth, but it's still at the bottom.

City Heat & Bronco Billy are two Eastwood movie I still haven't seen.  :'(
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 11:00:56 AM »

I havent seen Any Which Way You Can or City Heat,  but from the ones Ive seen so far, this is definately the best Eastwood comedy.I like Philo Beddoe a lot as a character, and I think it was enjoyable to see such a light hearted movie featuring Clint.
 Its not humour as we usually see in comedies I guess, it's more childish, more silly, and I think the film is awesome.
 I mean, who doesnt wanna see clint as a brawler? ;D

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 03:37:43 PM »

I know I'm in a slim minority, but I actually like the sequel, Any Which Way You Can better.  Anyone else around here agree?  :-\

For one, I find Sondra Locke less annoying (almost doesn't seem like the same woman) and I really enjoy the comradery between Philo and Jack Wilson.  I even think the Black Widows are funnier with the tar removing their hair, wearing the crazy wigs... and in the end, betting on Philo to win.  And winding up rich because of it!  ;D
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 10:42:04 AM »

I agree Matt! :D  I enjoyed Any Which Way You Can more.  Yes, Lynn was better in this movie.  I still don't really know what Philo saw in her, but atleast she wasn't the plain mean slapper that she was in Every Which Way.  I got more into the story in the second movie, wanting to know what would become of the rivalry between Philo and Wilson.  I agree that the Black Widows were funnier, perhaps more so because I was familiar with them, and their theme tune, from the first film.  I like the opening song better too; Beers To You is great, not least because Clint sings.  I also think there are more memorable scenes in Any Which Way; I especially loved the Pink Cloud Motel sequence with the old couple from Iowa, and Ma getting lucky! ;D

As for the other Eastwood comedies...I've only seen Pink Cadillac and Space Cowboys.  The former doesn't come close to either "Clint 'n' Clyde" film, and the latter is so different that it's hard to compare.  I loved Space Cowboys, but it doesn't have the same kitsch-cool or nostalgia as the Clyde movies, which I like for their quirky, silly sense of humour, and their fun-poking at stereotypes (the bikers, and the rich guys with their bimbos at Jackson Hole).
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 08:53:47 PM »

Space Cowboys is by far the best comedy Eastwood has done.  I give it a B+

The best of the rest are not top notch but are OK.  Like maybe a C.  Any Which Way You Can maybe a C+

Pink Caddy sucks Big Time but it did have some funny parts plus Eastwoods in it so I give it a D-.

As a comedy, I give Heartbreak Ridge an A- but it wasn't included on the list above...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 08:56:18 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 08:38:08 PM »

Bronco Billy is Eastwood's purest comedy, and his best.

As for the others ... everyone knows I don't like to get into the "rating" thing, so I won't! ;)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 09:05:38 PM »

My favorite Eastwood comedy is Bronco Billy.

But in all fairness to Every Which Way, I haven't seen it in such a long time, I don't remember anything about it, and I haven't gotten around to watching it again for this discussion.

As for Eastwood other comedies, I like Kelly's Heroes a lot, and one that isn't listed would be Paint Your Wagon. I've always said I like it because I find it funny.

Any Which Way You Can has it's moments and I like the movie (I have actually seen that one recently enough to remember it), but if it is better than Every Which Way, I'm afraid I don't have much to look forward to when I do get around to watching it.

I haven't seen City Heat and Pink Caddy in a really long time, so, again, can't say much.

Space Cowboys was the first Eastwood movie I saw in a theater, and I enjoyed it, but it doesn't rank as a favorite.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2003, 09:52:46 PM »

Bronco Billy is my favorite Eastwood comedy plus it's a genuine movie.  Space Cowboys would probably be my second choice.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2003, 10:08:16 PM »

I'd go with the same order, mgk.  

1) Bronco Billy (I'm sure that doesn't come as a shock to anyone.)  If I didn't use my name here, that would've been my moniker.  Then I could really say: "My friends call me Billy." ;)

2)  Space Cowboys

3) Any Which Way You Can

4) Every Which Way But Loose
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2003, 02:09:04 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the General Discussion forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 07:03:29 PM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T