News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EVERY WHICH WAY: Style & Technique 2. The Fight Scenes  (Read 1666 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 13, 2003, 09:29:42 PM »

In the fight sequences in this film I chose to do a great deal of hand-held work myself, choreographed by the stunt coordinator Buddy Van Horn. I became one of the fighters, using a hand-held Panaflex for part of the sequence and an Eyemo for the rest. I believe this gave the fights a look of really being in them and not just watching. The generalized lighting gave me the versatility to look in any direction I chose. . . . It was a very good fight sequence.
(Director of Photography Rexford Metz, quoted in Fuensanta Plaza's book Clint Eastwood/Malpaso, p. 96.)

Discuss any other techniques that you noticed were used to make the fight scenes exciting and action-packed. Did you enjoy the scenes?
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 08:47:55 PM »

This is great stuff.  The camera taking the punches and everything.  It gives it a kind of like a 3D effect that is seamless from close up to side shot.  It empowers the viewer to feel as if you were the one taking or receiving the punches. The sound effects are crucial and are effective.  It’s kind of a throw back to Hitchcock’s way of showing the camera angles to be the view of the individual…    
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 02:15:02 PM »

Thanks, D'Amb! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the General Discussion forum.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:08:19 PM »

This topic has been temporarily unlocked.  Feel free to post any additional thoughts or discussion here.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T