News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: References to Clint  (Read 224919 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: July 14, 2003, 08:35:01 PM »

I was waiting until someone got my quote in the Movie Quote Games too make this topic.

But does anyone know of movies or TV shows, maybe even songs, where Clint is referanced either by name or maybe a character name he played?

I know he was referenced in Leon during a game of charades. He was also referenced in Back to the Future Part III when Marty McFly used his name as a cover.

I know the song Clint Eastwood by the Gorillaz is sort of a reference, but do they mention him in the actual song?

Also in the computer game Comman & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge theres a character named Flint Westwood. Not only a reference to Clint, but the company who made the game.

I remember an episode of the new Dragnet TV show with Al Bundy (Ed O'Niel) that mentioned Clint in context about how if he "came out" it wouldn't have hurt his career or something. Can't really remember the episode or the context, sorry.

And obviously the Simpsons have spoofed him a few times. Twice I can remember with the Paint Your Wagon one and another time.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 08:39:27 PM »

I once saw an episode of Get Smart where Max (Don Adams) was The Man With No Name, poncho, cigar, and everything.  It was hysterical.  ;D
Joey

Sally knows only too well...

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 08:43:22 PM »

Crocodile Dundee was mistaken for Clint by a couple of kung-fu tourists, Cato and Fuji in Crocodile Dundee II.

Also, there is the Clint cameo in Casper.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 08:44:50 PM by Joey » Logged
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 08:46:04 PM »

In groundhogs day, I remeber the guy was dressed as the man with no name at a certain point
 Also, once in seinfeld, Jerry said some clint quote, and George said "Clint Eastwood,I love clint eastwood" or something like that and Jerry said another quote and George said "the outlaw josey wales"

Sorry if my descriptions are very vague, my memory is that way too ;D

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 02:34:33 AM »

In the excellent Siegel film Charley Varrick (if you have never seen it .. do so) Sheree North is a photographer that makes fake passports. Upon the arrival of not so nice guy Molly (Joe Don Baker) this exchange occurs .

"I'm Molly"

"Yeah , I didn't figure you for Clint Eastwood !!"

Nice touch Don .

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
eustressor

Undeterred.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 08:35:20 PM »

How about the Iron Maiden song Where Eagles Dare from their Piece of Mind album? Complete with machine gun fire :)

EDIT, 20 seconds later:
(sorry, just re-read the part where you specified that the references pertain to Clint or a character he played. This song applies to the movie in general - I don't recall any character's being mentioned by name. :()
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 08:38:05 PM by eustressor » Logged
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 08:48:25 PM »

There was a guy on Walker, Texas Ranger once who was obsessed with Dirty Harry and thats who he wanted to be. He was some Russian police officer.

Also, that same actor played a guy on MacGyver who liked Dirty Harry as well.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 06:29:54 AM »

Aren't George Clooney, Mark Wahlburg, and/or some of the other members of the crew of the Andrea Gale watching Pale Rider down below in the movie The Perfect Storm?

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 02:03:43 PM »

Anyone old enough to remember The Fall Guy theme song?  The last line in it is "I'm the Hollywood stuntman that makes Eastwood looks so fine..."  Or somthing like that ???
Clyde

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 11:40:27 AM »

Some early 80s British music mentioned Clint. (They must love him over there.)

First up, Adam and the Ants have a song called "Los Rancheros" where some of the lyrics are made up of Clint's movie titles ("For a few dollars more we'll hang 'em high") and the chorus of the song is simply "Clint...East-wood"!

Second, Big Audio Dynamite (a band formed by ex-Clash member Mick Jones after The Clash split) on their first album have a song called "Medicine Show" that samples
the entire dialogue from the scene in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" when Clint turns Tuco over to the Sheriff to collect his bounty. It is funny to hear Clint's and Eli Wallach's voice in a song.  (Also in that song are some samples from "Duck, You Sucker.") It's obvious that Big Audio Dynamite must be big Clint fans because on that same album is a song called "Sudden Impact."
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 11:48:45 AM »

I just remembered there was an episode of "Miami Vice" where Izzy dressed up as a cowboy (brown poncho and hat) and one point they played the GBU theme.

It was a later season episode, so it was horrible.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 08:23:23 PM by Brendan » Logged
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 05:02:15 PM »

Also, once in seinfeld, Jerry said some clint quote, and George said "Clint Eastwood,I love clint eastwood" or something like that and Jerry said another quote and George said "the outlaw josey wales"

That episode was called "The Strike"
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 01:02:19 PM »

thanks Brendan! yeah, thats the one, and heres the paart where they mention clint (I got that at http://www.stanthecaddy.com)

JERRY: So, if I ask her out again - I don't know who's showing up: The good, the bad, or the ugly.

GEORGE: (Identifying what Jerry said) Clint Eastwood!

JERRY: Yeah.

GEORGE: Hey, check this out. I gotta give out Christmas presents to everyone down at Kruger, so I'm pulling a Whatley. (Give a Christmas card to Jerry)

JERRY: (Reading it) "A donation has been made in your name to the Human Fund." - What is that?

GEORGE: (With pride) Made it up.

JERRY: (Continuing reading) "The Human Fund. Money for people."

GEORGE: What do you think?

JERRY: It has a certain understated stupidity.

GEORGE: (Once again, Identifying) The Outlaw of Josey Whales!

Oh-I love that show!Ive been watching seinfeld for like 5 years now, seen all the episodes like 4 times each, and I still never get tired of it....
 Ok, I remebered another reference to clint. In my favorite super nintendo game, Bubsy, theres a level called "the good, the bad and the woolies" and bubsy said " well it worked for clint" and in the next level he says "go aheah, make my day" (that level is called a fistful of yarn). and to think I wondered so much what that " well it worked for clint" was about in my childhood, and now I finally know who clint is....Oh, memories ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 01:03:27 PM by misty71 » Logged

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
bwaynef

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2004, 03:15:03 AM »

In "The Presidio," Sean Connery makes a reference to Dirty Harry as a way to mock Mark Harmon.

In "Red Heat," Jim Belushi describes the gun he gives to Arnold Schwarzenegger as the kind Dirty Harry uses. Schwarzenegger asks, "Who's Dirty Harry."

In a restaraunt scene in "Mrs. Doubtfire," Robin Williams, trying to distract someone, says, "I thought I saw Clint Eastwood."
Kal Varnsen

Looking for Jimbo, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2004, 08:41:50 AM »

In the Titus episode Intervention, Chris tries to get his father back to drinking because he has become "mild-mannered and boring" (he used to be mean). Chris mentions his dad was watching The Bridges of Madison County. 'Yeah, so, it's a Clint Eastwood movie!' Chris' girfriend then says: 'No, papa Titus, it's a Meryl Streep movie with Clint Eastwood.'

There's a The Good, the Bad and the Ugly reference in another episode of the same show, but I don't remember how it went exactly.
Inspector71

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2004, 03:50:14 PM »

Now I'm going from memory here, but in Any Which Way You Can (I think) doesn't Philo have a stand-off with the biker gang at the other end of the street and they play a piece of the "Fist Full of Dollars" music?

You heros have read a dozen posts here this week...what're ya gonna do next week?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2004, 08:07:24 PM »

That's a "self-referential" moment, Inspector71 ... we could have a whole other thread about those.

It's actually the other orang-utan movie ... Every Which Way but Loose ... and one of the other "spaghettis," The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Steve Dorff, who is credited with supplying the music for this film and the others in Eastwood's "country music tetralogy," told Fuensanta Plaza (Clint Eastwood/Malpaso, p. 97):

That was Clint ... I think he just threw it out as an idea: "Why don't we do a Spaghetti Western kind of takeoff?" and so we did it. It's a cute gag.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 08:08:25 PM by KC » Logged
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2004, 10:32:13 PM »

On A&E home video biographies in the intermission (where it should normally go to commercials if it were on TV) a slideshow comes up with Clint Eastwood, John Candy, and other great minds ;) We were watching the A&E biography and when I saw Clint I almost stood up and yelled "DO you know who that is?!" I should tell the teacher we should watch the Clint Eastwood biography ;D

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2004, 07:49:34 AM »

Beverley Hilll Cop 2

Axel Foley and Billy Rosewood are running to a bust and Billy pulls out a .44 Magnum , and Axel says "Who do you think you are , Clint Eastwood"

Sledge Hammer

A direct spoof of Dirty Harry in one exchange SLedge says "I'm going home to watch my favourite movie!"
his  partner says "Don't tell me Dirty HArry ?" and Sledge says "No , it's much too violent for my tastes"
also John Vernon appears as a mAyor like he did in Dirty HArry.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 07:50:20 AM by William Teller » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2004, 07:58:48 AM »

I once saw an episode of Get Smart where Max (Don Adams) was The Man With No Name, poncho, cigar, and everything.  It was hysterical.  ;D
I love that show, and that's a cool episode.

There's a scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off when the secretary tells the principal that he sounded just like Dirty Harry.

EDIT: I just noticed this thread was started way back in July (I noticed Matt's post I quoted). Nice to see I'm still catching up here on the board.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 08:05:17 AM by Christopher » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T