News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: References to Clint  (Read 220714 times)
eastwood1974

my mule dont like people laughing!

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2005, 12:12:05 PM »

In the british film Shaun of The Dead the character Ed played by Nick Frost does a orangutan impression at 18 mins in and the main character Shaun played by Simon Pegg  asks him again at 1hr 05mins full details are:-

Has anyone seen
Every Which Way But Loose?

Ed does the most amazing
impression of the orang-utan.

- No, it's not.
- It is. Come on. Do it.

- No, no.
- But it's brilliant. Come on.

- You've built it up too much.
- No, just do it.

Everyone wants to see it.
We could do with a laugh.

Do it, do it, do it, do it. Come on, do it.

I'm not a performing monkey.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2005, 03:36:07 PM »

I remember that scene from Shaun of the Dead. ;D

I watched Chopping Mall last night that had a funny reference in it. First off, the movie isn't as good as it sounds. :P :D From the title, it makes you think of a psycho with an ax running around a mall, but it's not that unfortunately. It's about security robots at a mall who start running amok after being hit by lightning (think Short Circuit gone awry). Some guys break into a gun shop to get weapons to fight against the robots and one of the characters gets a magnum-type gun (it isn't specified), and the other guys ask if he can handle something like that, to which the guy replies he's seen Dirty Harry twenty-four times.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2005, 04:23:45 PM »

I seem to remember that in "Shaun.." there's references to a "Big Al" (the guy Philo beats up at the beginning of E.W.W.B.L)  Maybe the landlord of the pub they end up in..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2005, 05:07:31 AM »

EMINEM

Under The Influence

I'm Clint Eastwood in his mid-twenties
A young ass man with a trash can strapped to the back of his ass
So the rats can't chew through his last pants

WKC.

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2006, 02:20:44 AM »

The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air was on TV yesterday -100 th episode, For Whom The Wedding Bells Toll.

Apparently, Will was a big fan of the Dirty Harry movies. He was pretty shocked to learn that his soon-to-be wife, Lisa, was not. She simply said that to her, Harry was just a frustrated macho guy with a big gun, who  looked gay  :D

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Grizzled

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2006, 03:24:43 AM »

The Sweeney

Series One

'Jackpot' (1974)

Straight after the first ad break Regan's squad car pulls up outside a cafe (to the accompaniment of a great piece of 70's music). Visible on the wall behind the car is a huge double bill poster for Magnum Force and Dirty Harry complete with old 'X' certificate.  O0

Later on in the same episode the following exchange occurs:

Carter: Excuse me for askin' Guvnor, but what the 'ell are we doing 'ere?

Regan: Revisiting the scene of the crime - don't you ever go to the pictures?

Carter: Well yeah, but there's something about Clint Eastwood that makes it enjoyable!  :D
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2006, 06:07:57 AM »

An early episode of Animaniacs.

Warner's psychoanalyst to the stars, Dr Otto Scratchansniff is given the task of de-zanitising the Warner brothers.

He recalls that he was in a session with Clint Eastwood which cuts to a flashback of him being thrown against a wall by Clint  ;D
masterchief

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2006, 08:08:40 PM »

How about the Iron Maiden song Where Eagles Dare from their Piece of Mind album?

On the Iron Maiden live album "A Real Live Dead One", Bruce Dickinson announces "Whatever the problem is, Clint Eastwood is gunna' fix it " before they play the song "Where Eagles Dare".
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 05:54:29 AM by masterchief » Logged
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2006, 09:31:29 PM »

Here is a .wav file of President Ronald Reagan's famous "make my day" line.  He said it at a meeting with members of the American Business Conference, at the OEOB next to the White House, on 13th March 1985.

http://victorian.fortunecity.com/manet/404/t/MakeMyDay.wav

(From the "Pictorial History of Ronald Reagan" site: LINK.)

I have my veto pen drawn and ready for any tax increase that Congress might even think of sending up. And I have only one thing to say to the tax increasers: Go ahead, make my day.

Full speech HERE.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2006, 09:59:23 PM »

Thanks, Lilly! I remember years ago trying unsuccessfully to find that legendary moment in the paper index of the "newspaper of record," the New York Times. With your help, I've now pinpointed it in their archive.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00E5DD1F39F937A25750C0A963948260

That's the "quotation of the day" version ... to read more of the full article from the archive, I'd have to pay, but I can find it for free when I'm back on the premises of the New York Public Library on Tuesday, and I could post some more, if anyone's interested. I'm kinda curious as to how his remarks were received. ;)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2006, 10:56:05 AM »

Cool, KC. 8)  I'd certainly be interested in the original NYT article.  I can't find anything in the BBC archive. 

Do you get free access to Time Magazine as well?  HERE is part of an article from 25th March 1985. 

With second-term swagger, Reagan throws down the gauntlet to Congress.

Interesting to realise that it was just two days before this speech that Gorbachev became Soviet leader.

I'm kinda curious as to how his remarks were received. ;)

Yeah.  It seems to have gone down pretty well with the audience in the room, and with supply-siders, although obviously it was aimed at Congress, who backed off from tax hikes, although how much that was due to the veto threat I don't know enough to comment.

It certainly seems to have helped Reagan's image as a tough negotiator, but with folksy charm.  He was proud enough of his remarks to allude to them at least twice more in public speeches.  At the following year's meeting with members of the American Business Conference (April 1986), he remembered:

You know, it was last year before this group that I told the tax hikers in Congress that if they wanted to send me a tax increase, well, go ahead, make my day. [Laughter] I got that line from Clint Eastwood -- [laughter]. Although now that the voters of Carmel, California, elected him mayor, I suppose I should say, Mayor Eastwood. [Laughter] I have to confess that I'm amazed that a Hollywood actor who costarred with a monkey could ever make it in politics. [Laughter] Of course, the American Business Conference has helped make our year a -- well, you've helped make more than my day -- make it a banner year of entrepreneurship and innovation, laying the foundation for what I'm convinced can become a decade of vibrant economic growth.

Following up with:

If we liberate the energies and imagination of the American people and allow them the wherewithal to build their dreams, America will be a dynamo leading the world into the 1990's and a new era of prosperity the likes of which this world has never before seen. That is our goal, and that's our challenge. I might put it this way: Go ahead, America, make my decade!

(Full speech HERE.)

He also reprised the line in a radio address on 27th September 1986:

Let's vote for a Congress that will pass the line-item veto and the balanced budget amendment and, once and for all, get Federal spending under control. I can tell you one thing, it would really make my day.

(Full address HERE.)

The remark had obviously gained sufficient fame not to need an explanation.

Finally, from the Heritage Foundation, HERE is a July 1985 article discussing detail of Reagan's approach to the veto, briefly mentioning the famous quote.

Like you, KC, I'd be interested in contemporary reaction to the "make my day" speech specifically.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2006, 11:55:28 AM »

One more thing, just in case there are any more sad political junkies on here...(don't I love it when I manage to find an excuse to get politics on to the CEWB! ;))

The guy who wrote the line for Reagan was his new speechwriter, Joshua Gilder, who said:

My first and most famous line – "Go, ahead. Make my day!" – was obviously something I pilfered from Clint Eastwood, but it had the desired effect of beating back a humongous tax increase working its way through Congress. I wrote for Reagan for four years.
(LINK.)

Gilder's friend and colleague Peter Robinson wrote in his book, How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life:

After learning one afternoon that there was an effort afoot in Congress to raise taxes, for instance, Josh Gilder sat down at his word processor and then, a wicked gleam in his eye, composed an insert for a speech he'd written.  "My veto pen is drawn and ready," the President said, when he delivered the speech the next day, "and I have only one thing to say to the tax increasers." Reagan paused for a full, rounded beat, his eyes alight with pleasure.  "Go ahead. Make my day." A couple of hours later, the effort to raise taxes collapsed. Josh and I exchanged high fives.
(Page 129)  Amazon.com product page.

Cool to read how the remark was born. 8)  I wonder if Sudden Impact screenwriter Joseph Stinson has ever commented on how he came up with the line.

Joseph C. Stinson is a screenwriter whose credits include Sudden Impact and City Heat as well as numerous production rewrites, dialogue polishes and development deals. His line of dialogue "Go ahead, make my day." is included in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations and has been honored by the American Film Institute as one of the hundred all-time most memorable film quotes. Placing sixth, it was the only line in the top half dozen written in the past quarter century.
(Source: Stinson's page at Drexel University.)

So he seems to claim credit, although the IMDb trivia page says:

The phrase, "Go ahead, make my day" was originally said by actor Gary Swanson in the movie Vice Squad (1982). Swanson, who played a Hollywood vice cop, said the line, "Go ahead scumbag, make my day," to actor Wings Hauser who played a pimp.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086383/trivia

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean Stinson took it from there.  The Colombia World of Quotations attributes it to Stinson.  http://www.bartleby.com/66/55/56555.html

I wonder if this has been discussed before.  Anyone got anything on the originator of the phrase in this context?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 12:17:23 PM by Lilly » Logged
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2006, 12:02:38 PM »

Well, I found THIS interview with Vice Squad director and co-writer Gary Sherman.

GS:   I’ll talk as much as you want on VICE SQUAD.

PG: Cool. First off, I want it to be known to the general population that you used the phrase “Make My Day” a year before SUDDEN IMPACT.

GS: I don’t know if people have noted that (laughs).

PG: When I heard that, I thought to myself, “It’s too bad that Reagan didn’t give a shout-out to Gary Sherman.”

GS: Listen, I’m such a dyed-in-the-wool Don Siegel fan (legendary director of DIRTY HARRY, ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ, CHARLEY VARRICK, the original INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS; Siegel didn’t direct SUDDEN IMPACT, but his influence on Clint Eastwood has been widely noted) that if someone was going to rip me off, let it be Don. I think one of the most influential pictures for me as a kid was INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS. I love that movie and what Don did in the movie. And CHARLEY VARRICK is…

PG: A great movie that too few people know about.

Gary Sherman: I actually became quite friendly with Andy Robinson for a while (Robinson played Scorpio in DIRTY HARRY)—we had some mutual friends. I loved getting to hear Don Siegel stories. And just when I was going to get to meet Don Siegel was when he died. I went to the memorial service with Andy Robinson.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2006, 12:13:42 PM »

I wonder if this has been discussed before.

Turns out there have been a few threads on Vice Squad using "make my day", including THIS one.  But none of them address whether Stinson copied it.  Given the similarity it seems possible. 
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2006, 12:38:40 PM »

It doesn't matter who wrote it. Clint made it memorable. ;)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2006, 12:40:26 PM »

It doesn't matter who wrote it. Clint made it memorable. ;)

True. 8)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »

More on the origins of "Make My Day" ... Dean Riesner, Eastwood's frequent script doctor, claimed that he had written it in 1976 for The Enforcer (six years before Vice Squad was released), though it didn't get used then. From Riesner's obituary in the New York Times (Sept. 2, 2002):

Mr. Riesner often contributed to Eastwood films, but the Hollywood penchant for putting a script through multiple rewrites sometimes made it difficult to prove who wrote what. Mr. Riesner contended that he had thought up Mr. Eastwood's famous line, "Go ahead, make my day," for the 1976 movie "The Enforcer," in which it was not used. Mr. Eastwood uttered it onscreen seven years later in "Sudden Impact," a movie on which Mr. Riesner did not work.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2006, 03:44:52 PM »

the only references i can remember is a episode of Three's Company when Don Knott's utters' Damn Clint Eastwood"..i have no  idea why or which episode that was..hah..

and the second was  by some bizarre rock guy named Adam Ant in the 80's who had a chorus of " Clint Eastwood"in one of his songs...i have no idea which song it was...lol
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »

More on the origins of "Make My Day" ... Dean Riesner, Eastwood's frequent script doctor, claimed that he had written it in 1976 for The Enforcer (six years before Vice Squad was released), though it didn't get used then. From Riesner's obituary in the New York Times (Sept. 2, 2002)

Thank you, KC, for that detail. O0

and the second was  by some bizarre rock guy named Adam Ant in the 80's who had a chorus of " Clint Eastwood"in one of his songs...i have no idea which song it was...

The song is Los Rancheros:

a few dollars more
they'll hang me high
but still me spirit
will survive

there's money over there
but not for long
soon my worries
will be gone

rancheros (Clint)
rancheros (Eastwood)
rancheros (Clint)
rancheros

and there's a bullet with my name on it

times-a-coming
when a new breed say
welcome tomorrow
instead of yesterday

my times-a-coming
when those despised
take shelter in the power
of my Kiowa eyes
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2006, 07:25:32 PM »

ha ha ha ..los rancheros...Thats IT!!!...oh man thats a riot u knew!..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T