News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's everyone's feelings on the lack of extras on new DVDs?  (Read 10503 times)
jjgonski

View Profile Email
« on: July 27, 2003, 06:29:42 AM »

I was just wondering what everyone's feeling were on Warner Brothers just dumping the remainder of the Clint catalog on September 2nd?  There are certainly some of these movies that deserve a more deserving release.  Granted, I could do without City Heat, but it would be nice to see a few more extras on Tightrope and WED.  I think that Honkeytonk Man has a decent storyline and it's nice to see Clint interact with Kyle.  Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 02:40:38 PM by Matt » Logged

Just because your standing over me doesn't mean we're gonna be taking long showers together
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 12:21:38 PM »

jj, I edited the title of this thread slightly so that it's more descriptive.  

Philo had started a thread on the lack of extras for the Where Eagles Dare DVD HERE, you might want to look through some of those posts.

I'm happy to have them on September 2nd, even without the extras.  I'd like them more with, but I'm still happy they're coming.  This will only leave us without Coogan's Bluff, and I'm thrilled that I'll soon be seeing seven more films for the first time in widescreen format, with subtitles (I really need those, blame it on too many concerts in the 80's, or a tile floor with no carpet or curtains... but the sound bounces something crazy.)  So for me, it's a godsend to have the DVD's, and be able to see AND hear the movies properly for the first time. The extras aren't nearly as important to me.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 03:24:17 PM by Matt » Logged
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 12:30:14 PM »

my feelings have not changed JJ, I'm disgusted at the lack of extras, on all of these titles. As for WED, I think it's shameful >:(, pure disgust, Philo and myself know exactly what should be on this release, christ, between us, we could fill it ourselves..
nuff said.
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 12:39:55 PM »

extras....widescreen format.....subtitles.....trailers.....

I really gotta get one of those DVD players!! ;D

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 03:23:26 PM »

I, too, am just excited to have more Eastwood DVDs.  If they did them right then there would be extras on them but they have chosen not to.  So, all I get is seven more Eastwood DVDs .... but, I'm happy with that for now.
jjgonski

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2003, 03:31:54 PM »

I'm happy as well to see the DVD's at least.  I guess we shouldn't expect to see a release of Honkeytonk man with a ton of extras or Pink Cadillac.  I know there has been much discussion on the WED release and I'm sure that the Special Edition will become available once we all populate our collection with the title.  And please tell me that you are kidding Misty. ::) ::)

Just because your standing over me doesn't mean we're gonna be taking long showers together
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2003, 05:41:32 PM »

sadly no, its the truth.
And dont roll your eyes at me, Ive been meaning to get one, I just didnt get the money yet ;D

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 03:27:21 AM »

Don't worry... I'm sure some of these films will be re released with some extras once we've all shelled out for them first time round. Still, I gotta say I am glad that more of Clints work is becomming available. I'm really looking forward to seeing Honky Tonk Man and Tightrope again. Any news on UK release dates. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot gets a dvd release over here today. :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 03:29:29 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
mmpreacher

Nag Nag Nag

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 04:46:22 AM »

The Beguiled has recently been resubmitted to the BBFC so that will be coming soon, along with Joe Kidd.

On 'Thunderbolt and Lightfoot'. The copy I got was widescreen but not an anamorphic transfer. I may be being petty but i've already sent it back, surely they can do better than that.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 09:26:11 AM »

At least you got it.. there isn't one damn shop in my town thats got it in stock today..... :'( >:( :'(

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 09:30:55 AM »

I wouldnt mind at least an interview with Clint on some of the DVD's.

Like maybe an interview for Honkytonk Man, covering why Clint chose this picture, why it is important, how he felt Kyle did and other information about the movie.

Same with White Hunter, Black Heart. It would be great to hear his thoughts on how he felt about making this, why he did it and such.

As for the other releases, I'm not concerned about features. I haven't come to expect much from Warners and Clints movies being released on DVD.
eustressor

Undeterred.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2003, 10:22:49 AM »

I wouldnt mind at least an interview with Clint on some of the DVD's.

Like maybe an interview for Honkytonk Man, covering why Clint chose this picture, why it is important, how he felt Kyle did and other information about the movie.

I totally agree, Brendan. Many of the others I'll take "as is", but I'd really like to know more about the making of this picture. And like everybody else, I'm itching to see the restored GBU released on DVD.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 12:35:08 PM »

I agree also.. It would be nice to get even just a short interview with Clint on certain dvd's covering why he chose projects like Honkytonk Man, White Hunter etc but I's guess he's probably not too interested in doing so. If he was I reckon we'd be seeing them. Is Bird available Stateside... are there any extras on that one ?

I've been waiting a long time for Thunderbolt to get a release here so I'm gonna enjoy it, even without any cool extras.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2003, 01:20:04 PM »

I have seen Bird on DVD in a store near my house, but I have had the want to buy it.

I will someday though.
jjgonski

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2003, 05:15:20 PM »

Yes, Bird is available here in the states but sorry to say that there are no extras.  The transfer is quite good though.  I can't believe that they are just releasing Thunderbolt and Lightfoot overseas.  It's been out for a few YEARS over here.  I just can't see it being that dificult formatting for different regions.  I figure that warners would just want to cash in wherever they can.  As for the extras, it would be great to have Clint and Kyle do an interview about how it was to work on Honkeytonk Man some 21 years later.  it would be great to see them interact together. ;)

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2003, 08:27:40 PM »

Yeah, it would be neat to see some interviews or a documentary, but, as I've said before, my Warner Bros. DVD titles in general don't have a great deal of extras on them, whether they are Eastwood titles or not.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2003, 10:39:01 PM »

As stranger has pointed out the extras are out there, but nobody's making it a priority to include them.  As for Clint doing interviews, in many cases there are interviews already out there that could be included.  But why on earth would Clint not sit down for a fifteen mintue interview?!  Of course he would were he asked, especially for a personal favorite of his like Honkytonk Man or Tightrope.  

I think it's a shame there aren't more extras, because it makes the dvd more of an "event" and also because it compiles these features together as an archive of the movie.  We Clint fans have been horribly short changed on our dvd's, and it's actually sad that only now are titles like Where Eagles Dare and Tightrope and Honkytonk Man (etc.) are about to be available.  Of course, I'm going to buy them, but how much more special they would be with extras included.  

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2003, 09:34:17 AM »

The lack of extras sends a subtle message:

1) Clint's films aren't that great
2) Clint's films aren't meant to be taken seriously
3) Clint's films don't deserve the "special edition" deluxe DVD treatment
4) His fans aren't interested in extra features

Here is the message I wish to send in response
1) These DVDs aren't worth me shelling out my money
2) I will most likely rent these DVDs rather than adding them to my collection
3) If I do add them to my collection, it will only be after I purchase the countless other classic films that contain numerous deluxe features
Lt. Briggs

From the Crossroads of the World

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2003, 11:30:35 AM »

Remember Warner knows what its doing, in regard to Special Editions.  Does the word Double Dipping ring a bell.  MGM is going to do it to the "Fistful of Dollars", "For a Few Dollars More" and the new restored "Good, the Bad and the Ugly".  They did it with the Bonds. Warner has done it with "Dirty Harry", "Casablanca", "Singin' in the Rain"....
Every few years Warner updates editions.  Look at "Outlaw Josey Wales" , three editions.  The first one had a lot of trailers. The second one dropped those trailers. The third edition added the features that the VHS tape had one year earlier. As in an earlier post, the material is there but it cost money to find and correct old video format to today standards.  Having been on the Warner lot during the 80's.  A lot of the video material was shot on 3/4 inch tapes or 16mm formats.

I hate to walk up to a door with Harry.
To many people don't like him.
jjgonski

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2003, 11:50:59 AM »

Well Briggs, that adds a different perspective on things.  I know that it takes a while to reformat the old film, but at the same time, doesn't Warner think it's more cost effective to do it right the first time.  They have the same production costs and when the SE DVD is released, the original becomes obsolete given the SE is priced competitively.  We'll see.  I guess there are few left to be released so that will at leaat give us all the choice.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T