News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "josey wales" guns for sale  (Read 31534 times)
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« on: August 01, 2003, 04:17:41 PM »

check this out!!!!
The two guns eastwood used in the outlaw josey wales are for sale at Ebay.

They are auctioned off for 1000, and 1500 dollars as a starting fee.
One of the guns is the one he shot the bountyhunter he scared off with the immortal words ; dying aint much of a living, boy...
I am currently kicking myself for using all my savings on a kitchen.  ;) :'( :o

Both guns (one rubber, one remade to fire blanks) comes with a letter of autenticy

Dane with no name
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 05:02:54 PM »

Thanks, Dane with no name! I finally succeeded in finding links to the auctions, which were live auctions that took place yesterday. Both guns sold for way over the estimate ...

This is the rubber stunt pistol ...

76. Clint Eastwood pistol from The Outlaw Josey Wales. (Warner Bros., 1976) Black rubber stunt pistol with gold-painted trigger guard and brown-painted handgrips, cast from the Colt Walker single shot revolver used as the hero gun by Eastwood. Comes with a certificate of authenticity from Ellis Prop House, original supplier to the production, which further states that this prop gun was verified by Eddie Aiona, the film's property master. An excellent prop from one of Eastwood's best westerns! $1,000 - $1,500
The final sale price was US $3,500.00.

And this is the blank firing pistol ...

77. Clint Eastwood blank firing pistol from The Outlaw Josey Wales. (Warner Bros., 1976) Remington New Model Army .44 caliber single shot revolver with wood handgrips, used as the hero, blank firing gun by Clint Eastwood in the scene where he confronts the bounty hunter in the saloon, as well as other firing scenes. In the saloon, Eastwood says to the bounty hunter, "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy", then pulls the gun out of his belt and kills him. It is also visible in the scene where Eastwood is in the wagon and firing revolvers with both hands at the US troops -- this revolver was in his right hand. A real working gun with removable chamber, it was reconstructed into a non-firing gun with a plugged barrel. Comes with a certificate of authenticity stating that this gun was originally acquired from the Great American Prop & Wardrobe Company. One of the finest Clint Eastwood prop weapons known to exist! $2,500 - $3,500

It went for an astonishing US $10,000.00!  :o :o :o

dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 05:07:44 PM »

Damn!!!  :o
when they sell his 44. magnum from dirty harry, i´m selling my appartment trying to scrounge enogh funding together...  ;D
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 08:39:22 PM »

Remington New Model Army .44 caliber single shot revolver with wood handgrips, used as the hero, blank firing gun by Clint Eastwood in the scene where he confronts the bounty hunter in the saloon, as well as other firing scenes. In the saloon, Eastwood says to the bounty hunter, "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy", then pulls the gun out of his belt and kills him. It is also visible in the scene where Eastwood is in the wagon and firing revolvers with both hands at the US troops -- this revolver was in his right hand.

I have to respectfully disagree with that statement.  I can’t think of one scene where we EVER see this gun.

I thought we had established earlier that Josey’s belly gun was infact the same gun pulled from the smokey ruins, namely the 1861 Navy Colt.  The Colt doesn’t have the nice strap of steel reinforcing the top of the cylinder like the Remington does.

I just got done reviewing both scenes as mentioned above and I wish I had the capability to post up a few images from those scenes, but I don’t.

Oh well…
 ???
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 08:40:17 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 09:44:03 PM »

D'Amb, I'll post 'em ... PM me the times if you can.

Just as soon as I finish watching the Yankees blow this damb game.   >:( >:(
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 10:41:43 PM »

See, I'm thinking that this is the gun he pulls from the smokey ruins of his burnt out house (minus the loading lever and plunger because of it's disassembled state) and is his belly gun throughout the movie, that is to say the one he wears across his belly.  He carries 4 guns.  The two Walkers in his hip holsters, the '61 Navy Colt as his belt gun, and the '48 Pocket Dragoon in his shoulder holster.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 10:42:57 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 10:53:00 PM »

This is the best I can do so far for the pistol in the Gatling Gun scene ... It does look more like the one you just posted than the one that sold for $10,000.

I'll try to get some better shots. Stay tuned!
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 10:57:55 PM »

The Remington has a much more angular ridged shape to it as opposed to the rounder smoother Colt...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 11:03:23 PM »

Here's a shot from the battle with Terrill's men at the ranch ...

This gun is clearly the Colt, and not a Remington.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 11:09:24 PM »

Your my hero KC... :-*

As in that last thread we had some time ago... I'd hate to be the poor soul paying Ten Grand for that ...  If it were vintage and in mint condition, maybe 6 or 7 grand.

It's a scam I says... :P
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2003, 11:11:30 PM »

Here's the "smokey ruins" gun. It is clearly a Colt, not a Remington.

Re-reading the description of the Remington from the auction, I note that it was supposed to have been in Josey's "right hand" in the "Gatling Gun" scene. The image I posted is of the gun in his left hand, but I'm not sure you can ever see the gun in his right hand at a good enough angle to identify it.

The saga continues ...
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2003, 11:33:36 PM »

Not to change the subject but...As someone once told me before that the cap and ball gun you see without a loading lever is more than likely a cartridge conversion.  Plus you can clearly see the breech loading gate on the “smokey ruins” gun KC posted above.  Looks as if Leone wasn’t the only one taking some artistic liberties…

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2003, 11:42:07 PM »

These two are from the part of the "Gatling Gun" scene when Josey rides into the camp and begins firing with his pistols. Presumably the one in his right hand now is the same one he uses after he exhausts the Gatling gun's ammo and resumes firing with pistols ...

This is the best I can do for the gun he kills the bounty hunter with.

I would think the most striking difference between the Colt and the Remington is the lack of a top strap in the Colt ... the Remington has one.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2003, 11:47:24 PM »

I think it's safe to say that it's not the same pistol as stated...

Check out this thread...
http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=137

What's funny is I remember that first post in that thread as an 1860 Army Colt but oh well...

Not the same Gun!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 11:51:06 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2003, 12:07:05 AM »

Another thing I notice about the gun in the bounty hunter scene is that the wooden grip seems to be a different shape than the one on the pictured prop gun ... it seems to have more of a curve to it.

Thanks for posting the link to that other thread, D'Amb. I'd forgotten we'd gone through this whole thing as recently as last Christmas! It seems to be the same prop gun ... sold by the same company (did the first buyer return it when he found out it wasn't as advertised?) And as I said then ...

Because of the reputation of Ellis Prop House, which is providing a C of A for this item, I'm sure it was actually used in the film, possibly by Eastwood's character ...  

and ...

Maybe I was right to be skeptical. It's possible the gun was the one used by Jamie or some other character.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2003, 12:10:51 AM »

What's funny is I remember that first post in that thread as an 1860 Army Colt but oh well...
Yes, it looks as if we were discussing it as though it were a Colt, but it has a distinct top strap and other features of a Remington. That's odd ... isn't it!  ???
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2003, 12:15:15 AM »

I just had an idea about that ... is it possible that the seller, www.profilesinhistory.com , used a different picture in December, and is reusing the file name now ... so that we're seeing the gun that went on sale July 31, NOT the one that was sold in December?  ???

I wish I'd saved the description and images from back then.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2003, 09:14:11 AM »

I know that the gun in that origanal post, Josey's Revolver, was infact an 1860 Army Colt and I remember a shot of Josey holding a gun on Lone Waite right next to it.  Right off I knew it was incorrect because the gun he is holding on Lone Watie is his belt gun, the ’61 Navy Colt. Jamies Gun is infact an 1860 Army Colt.  You can tell by the rebated cylinder as he pulls it on the bushwackers.  We do see plenty ’60 Army Colts in the movie, just never handled by Josey.  But I can say with conviction that we NEVER SEE a Remington New Army model.  NEVER! ??? ::)

This was the shot next to the first post of the thread Josey's Revolvers:

It's not an Army Colt and it's not a New Army Remington.  It's his '61 Navy Colt!!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2003, 09:18:15 AM by DAmbrosia » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2003, 09:20:02 AM »

Concord were are you when we need you pal?
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2003, 08:13:10 AM »

All I can say is the next time this company is having an auction someone needs to contact the attorney general...

The claim should be "The only guns NOT used in the movie The Outlaw Josey Wales!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T